Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 28, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #496 of 6,743
Qutest normally has a 3 year warranty. Their entry-level products (like Mojo and Poly) are 1 year and the higher-end products (like DAVE) are 5 years.

correct me if i were wrong so that means I still pay a lot more than china but getting the same service.......

also...regarding the price, in US or Canada we still have to pay taxes according to places some can be a lot and some can be nothing. However all taxes in china I believe are included in that sale price.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #497 of 6,743
correct me if i were wrong so that means I still pay a lot more than china but getting the same service.......

According to the post above, it would appear that the warranty lasts for 2 years in China, but is void if you buy it in China and bring it elsewhere or have it shipped to you elsewhere. That's how I interpreted it. If this is the case, you get no warranty from China and 3 years warranty if you buy it in your own country. I could be mistaken on some points, however.

Jan 28, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #498 of 6,743
According to the post above, it would appear that the warranty lasts for 2 years in China, but is void if you buy it in China and bring it elsewhere or have it shipped to you elsewhere. That's how I interpreted it. If this is the case, you get no warranty from China and 3 years warranty if you buy it in your own country. I could be mistaken on some points, however.

Isnt that just a way to prevent us from buying overseas? just to protect profits of those sellers here? TBH lets be clear that the price different from china to NA isn't just a few hundred bucks....even if we are looking at lower end products for example 2Qute, the differences still huge. Also if you were to look deeply for prices in china for headphone you would also know they are cheaper there as well, but they were never a thousand bucks different for higher end or lower end products. same goes for other brands for dac and amp. From what I have experienced since I lay my eyes on chord products, they are the only one makes me think I should go through the trouble of going on a plane and buying it else where.

Anyways I guess I should stop the complain here since this is an important thread for Qutest which I look forward for so long, but if I was able to save one thousand dollar I would just rather go china and buy one instead ( if it was tested and works during the day of my travel what else could really happen to them? or I can just ship them back to china for warranty isnt it? Lastly, hugo2 is at least a thousand dollar canadian cheaper to buy in china now.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #499 of 6,743
Even if we're marking packages as "used + defective goods for repair ONLY" or maybe stuff like a "gift" of some sort, Chinese customs might (or might not if we're getting lucky) charge some fees whenever we're shipping electronics back to China. And then we might also have to deal with stuff like petty thefts etc. if someone were stealing / swapping packages in China. We could insure anything we want but in the end when SHTF in China, most likely Chinese companies aren't gonna compensate anyone since they're relatively "barbaric" if you will. (I'm speaking as a 100% Chinese myself.)

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #500 of 6,743
The point is, they have it for demonstration in their store, so it would be odd if they didn't let anyone purchase it yet. And I think I've seen other UK dealers that stock and sell it.

I’ve enquired for you. They don’t currently have them for demonstration as they haven’t had them in yet. They should arrive in the next week. “Available for demo” actually means you can book a demo. This is also the case with my local where I bought mine earlier this month. In other words, the Qutest hasn’t come out yet. No need to thank me.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #501 of 6,743
As part of getting ready to purchase the Qutest I realized I don't have a USB A-B cable. I have noticed that a lot of companies show diagrams of their cables and the data pair are not twisted. I have also noticed that they don't display the USB certification label. Since the Qutest has galvanic isolation will this allow me to use pretty much any USB cable?

Also, does anyone make a USB data only cable with some sort of connector to allow it to be recognized?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #502 of 6,743
New promo photos!

Qutest-Front-1.jpg

Qutest-Isometric-Left-1.jpg

Qutest-Isometric-Right-1.jpg

Qutest-Connectivity-1.jpg

Qutest-Bottom-1.jpg

As part of getting ready to purchase the Qutest I realized I don't have a USB A-B cable. I have noticed that a lot of companies show diagrams of their cables and the data pair are not twisted. I have also noticed that they don't display the USB certification label. Since the Qutest has galvanic isolation will this allow me to use pretty much any USB cable?

Also, does anyone make a USB data only cable with some sort of connector to allow it to be recognized?

The Qutest comes with a standard 2 meter USB A to B cable, but yes, you should be able to use any other USB cable with a B connector on one end.

Data only USB cables exist, but they have potential issues (some can even damage your DAC, from what I've heard), so if you want to learn more, just Google it.

Jan 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #503 of 6,743
New promo photos!

Qutest-Front-1.jpg

Qutest-Isometric-Left-1.jpg

Qutest-Isometric-Right-1.jpg

Qutest-Connectivity-1.jpg

Qutest-Bottom-1.jpg

The Qutest comes with a standard 2 meter USB A to B cable, but yes, you should be able to use any other USB cable with a B connector on one end.

Data only USB cables exist, but they have potential issues (some can even damage your DAC, from what I've heard), so if you want to learn more, just Google it.

Excellent thanks!

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #504 of 6,743

Sorry, but USB is a stardard cable,.. issues? maybe... if data cable is not twisted, but where did you heard "some can even damage your DAC"?

300px-USB.svg.png

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #505 of 6,743
Sorry, but USB is a stardard cable,.. issues? maybe... if data cable is not twisted, but where did you heard "some can even damage your DAC"?

Just to be clear for anyone reading this, we're talking about data only USB cables. Most USB cables have both data and power.

Google research. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/Data-Only-Audiophile-USB-Ungrounded/dp/B00WFF5FZS
You always want the ground lead connected in a USB cable, no matter what DAC you are using. You run the risk of damaging your DAC if the ground connector is not intact. It may work for a while but the risk is always there...

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #509 of 6,743
I've been using no-Vpower USB cables (Elijah Audio "Konvertible Lite" and "Isolate CU") with both a Metrum Hex and a 2Qute with no issue at all either with a Mac mini and a femto Auralic Aries as sources

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back