Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #526 of 6,750
Yes, that's all I meant. hehe

But I also wanted to show the price when VAT is not included.

I believe most UK dealers selling online would let customers from the US and Canada order it on their website, travel to the UK, pick it up, and take it back. (Though this would probably end up costing more than simply buying it in America.)

...not unless you just so happen to need to go there on business; not me unfortunately...

Feb 1, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #527 of 6,750
Also, any update on Qutest reaching dealerships? As far as I can see, it is still not available to purchase in the UK.

Plenty of people have preordered it, and you can too.

Available to pre order just means stock is due. Only when it arrives that it will become available to purchase which is what I wanted to know.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #530 of 6,750
Preorder = purchase. :neutral_face:

When you preorder something, you purchase it in advance, then receive it once they have it.

When I pre order something that is not yet available I usually pay a deposit and do not pay in full until the item is ready for dispatch to me.

Pre order does not equal purchase in advance in my books.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #531 of 6,750
When I pre order something that is not yet available I usually pay a deposit and do not pay in full until the item is ready for dispatch to me.

When I preorder something that is not yet available, I usually pay in full before the item is ready for dispatch to me.

Preorder does equal purchase in advance. That is the literal meaning of the word! If you don't believe me, feel free to consult Wikipedia or any dictionary.

Based on what I have seen, those who preordered the Qutest paid the full amount. I have seen online preorder forms with the full price as well.

In the past in the US, Chord products have been available for preorder for the full amount.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #532 of 6,750
When I preorder something that is not yet available, I usually pay in full before the item is ready for dispatch to me.

Preorder does equal purchase in advance. That is the literal meaning of the word! If you don't believe me, feel free to consult Wikipedia or any dictionary.

Based on what I have seen, those who preordered the Qutest paid the full amount. I have seen online preorder forms with the full price as well.

In the past in the US, Chord products have been available for preorder for the full amount.

This is a pointless discussion as we all (should) negotiate payment terms with our individual dealers. All I can say is that I have never paid in full for any Chord item that was not ready for immediate shipment or maybe available within a few days.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #533 of 6,750

I agree. When item is available and ready for dispatch, it's not usually a pre order.

In any case the discussion is going tangential. I just wanted to know whether dealers have received the goods at which point we will start to see reviews.

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #534 of 6,750
I agree. When item is available and ready for dispatch, it's not usually a pre order.

Of course it's not a preorder if it's already available for customers to receive it.

The very first definition of preorder on Google is: "order (an item of merchandise) before it is available, with the understanding that it will be shipped later."

In any case the discussion is going tangential. I just wanted to know whether dealers have received the goods at which point we will start to see reviews.

It's just that you said it was not available for purchase, but, as I showed before, it had been for awhile. (At least online.)

It's also possible (and relatively commonplace) for shops to have an item but not sell or ship it yet.

So what you really want to know is when customers will be able to have it in their hands.

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #536 of 6,750
So The Cable Company increased the prices as they said they would:

https://www.thecableco.com/chord_electronics.html

However...there are other US dealers that have not:

https://www.moon-audio.com/electronics-brands/chord-electronics.html

We'll have to see whether the other dealers follow suit.

It could be that some dealers are trying to clear stock that they have already purchased at the lower price, before raising prices to compensate for distributor price increases.

I'm just curious to know when U.S. dealers will open pre-orders for the Qutest. Maybe they're still trying to negotiate retail prices for it. I'm holding out hope for a pre-order discount, perhaps.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #537 of 6,750
Thanks for the reply, I never understood why Chord needs to implement such a drastic "fix", when so many other DACs don't. With the Mojo, the only time the mute doesn't occur is if I let a whole album play track-to-track. Otherwise:

- When I change albums it happens.
- When I change tracks on an album it happens.
- When I restart a track it happens.

One outcome is it's impossible to hear the first half second of any album.

I did see the hack of inserting a second of silence before each track, which some audio programs allow, but it locks the user into that program. I bounce around between Audirvana, Tidal, Spotify, iTunes, and Amazon Music (all on a Mac) and as far as I can tell, none of them support this hack. Has anyone else come up with a way to fix this problem on a Mac?

I was psyched to see the Qutest announced until I started listening to my Mojo again and was reminded of this problem. I'm surprised more people don't find this an issue; I guess there are a lot of people using Foobar on Windows or something similar who can overcome it.

P.S. Sorry for the venting; just wishing there was a fix.

I’m with you here, Mark. I find the .5 second omission of the beginning of a track to be disconcerting, too. I’m also interested in the Qutest because I have a strong sense that it’s performace is going to be pretty special for the price. I use my AK240SS as my transport with a Mojo, so there’s no way to add a second to compensate for this uniqueness of the design.

I seem to recall Rob commenting way back that the muting is meant to eliminate any audible click because of a change in sampling frequency, or format.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #538 of 6,750
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #540 of 6,750
If you go to the page, you can see that the US price is not determined yet.

https://www.moon-audio.com/chord-qutest-dac.html

Ah, I didn’t look closely enough that Moon was estimating the likely selling price in the US. No matter, $200 won’t sway me from a purchase if it turns out to be as special as we all believe. With that said, if the price goes over 2K, then we’re encroaching on Hugo 2 territory.

I wonder if the absolute performance, setting aside the galvanic isolation, will be identical to the Hugo 2 even though it would appear to be a simpler design for those who don’t need headphone capability. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back