Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 13, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #196 of 6,741
My setup right now is:

Chord mojo -> Mjölnir KGSShv -> Stax L-700.

Mojo is really fantastic and has served me well while looking for a new dac. But now it’s time for it to get out again as mobile device. Qutest is the one I have in mind to replace mojo in the Stax setup. The only downside I see with Qutest is the unbalanced RCA output. Because my amp has Balanced XLR input.

To my question:
Do you think that a very short quality RCA to XLR between Qutest and my amp would make a audible difference supposed to if Qutest would hav balanced XLR and using a balanced XLR to XLR cable?

All the best to you!

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #197 of 6,741
Do you think that a very short quality RCA to XLR between Qutest and my amp would make a audible difference supposed to if Qutest would hav balanced XLR and using a balanced XLR to XLR cable?

Fellow STAX fan here! (Had four STAX systems in the past.)

Electrostatic amps are inherently balanced even when you use single-ended. Some electronics manufacturers skimp on the single-ended section, making the balanced sound better...but, as you probably know, Chord have some of the highest quality single-ended circuitry out there. It actually measures better than the balanced outputs, for their DACs that have both. But from what I've seen, those who compared the balanced and single-ended outputs of the DAVE (etc.) did not hear a difference after volume-matching. I'd be surprised if you were to use a Chord DAC with balanced outputs and discover that it sounded better than SE. (And would suspect it's due to the limitations of whatever you were connecting to.)

If you're looking for cheap but high quality RCA to XLR cables, I use these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #198 of 6,741
Me too. Yesterday I found a video on Youtube comparing H2 and TT, from "Pursuit Perfect System".
A blind test actually. His very personal conclusion in the follow up video was that H2 is the brain
and TT the body, referring to the more detail and resolution of the H2 and the better presentation of TT.
Personally I'm very interested in the presentation aspect and whether Qutest will differ in any way from H2 or not.

I watched all his Chord related videos and I have to agree with him. The TT has the body and H2 has the brains.

Since Qutest has yet to be released few have heard it so all we can do is speculate for now. But judging from the reviews and impressions of 2Qute and Hugo, they both have a similar sound signature that tends to be on the leaner side, in comparison to TT.

Hugo 2 also sounds a little leaner than TT so I reckon Qutest will too, but I really hope I am wrong!

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #199 of 6,741
Fellow STAX fan here! (Had four STAX systems in the past.)

Electrostatic amps are inherently balanced even when you use single-ended. Some electronics manufacturers skimp on the single-ended section, making the balanced sound better...but, as you probably know, Chord have some of the highest quality single-ended circuitry out there. It actually measures better than the balanced outputs, for their DACs that have both. But from what I've seen, those who compared the balanced and single-ended outputs of the DAVE (etc.) did not hear a difference after volume-matching. I'd be surprised if you were to use a Chord DAC with balanced outputs and discover that it sounded better than SE.

If you're looking for cheap but high quality RCA to XLR cables, I use these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4777

Thanks for a very informative and promising answer!

A little of topic, but I’m very happy with my Stax and KGSShv combination. I’m thankful every time I listen to the handmade amp. Build bu a very nice guy.

Your cable recmendation is funny because just a hour ago I looked at just that cable :)
I think it’s hard to find a better sounding dac for the money.

Thanks again!

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #200 of 6,741
chord_qutest.jpg

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #201 of 6,741
I watched all his Chord related videos and I have to agree with him. The TT has the body and H2 has the brains.

Since Qutest has yet to be released few have heard it so all we can do is speculate for now. But judging from the reviews and impressions of 2Qute and Hugo, they both have a similar sound signature that tends to be on the leaner side, in comparison to TT.

Hugo 2 also sounds a little leaner than TT so I reckon Qutest will too, but I really hope I am wrong!

Output stage from Qutest is different from Hugo 2 IIRC so I doubt Quest will sound like Hugo 2 + your preamp than can still cause coloration even when passive so the sound will be slightly different than Hugo 2 (I'm betting on the warmer side though).

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #202 of 6,741
your preamp than can still cause coloration even when passive

It "can"...but I'm glad I did not hear a difference with and without my Schiit SYS passive preamp when using the Mojo as a DAC & digital preamp with speakers.

It would be interesting to do these types of comparisons with the Qutest. (Digital volume control and RCA to speaker wire adapters for some.)

• Qutest > passive preamp > power amp > speakers
  • Qutest > power amp > speakers
  • Qutest > passive preamp > speakers
  • Qutest > speakers

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #203 of 6,741
I will not buy a Chord product again. I have both Mojo and 2Qute and I have DSD dropout on 2 Roon endpoints and I have experienced the same with other linux flavors. On top of that, I would prefer a balanced DAC for my HDVA600 > HD800S. I have been pretty disappointed. I would like to test the new MF M6s DAC and see how that one is.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #204 of 6,741
Chord is going to have better measured technical performance, but you may still prefer your amp.

The Hugo TT has the same maximum output power specs as the Hugo and Mojo. The Hugo 2 actually has more power, though this in itself wouldn't matter.

We can only speculate about a hypothetical Hugo TT 2.

What I can tell you is that I barely heard any difference between the Mojo and 430HAD when driving the HD 800 despite the latter costing $4,300.

The most realistic option for you, in my opinion, is the Hugo 2. You can also use it with an external amp and compare to direct drive.

Thanks for this.

The Hugo 2 had been my original plan, but:-

(a) I don't need the portability;
(b) I don't like the way it looks in a domestic setting - untidy, with the headphone jack sticking out of the back and a power socket sticking out of the front;
(c) Some people think the TT sounds better (than the Hugo) - and if it's that good, I can sell my Lehmann amp.
(d) I really like the idea of having two BNC connectors - that way I can connect my Naim CD player and the streamer.

I spent a week with the 2Qute last year and would have bought it - but for the fact that it forgot its settings each time it was powered down. The Qutest seems like a viable option, but perhaps a TT2 would be even better. I'm not clear whether those super capacitors in the TT improve the overall performance, or just the headphone-drivability.

Jan 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #205 of 6,741
I will not buy a Chord product again. I have both Mojo and 2Qute and I have DSD dropout on 2 Roon endpoints and I have experienced the same with other linux flavors. On top of that, I would prefer a balanced DAC for my HDVA600 > HD800S. I have been pretty disappointed. I would like to test the new MF M6s DAC and see how that one is.

Strong statement for only your 5th posting. DSD dropouts are software driver related, especially with Linux OS. Big reason why I use JRiver in Windows 10 optimized and Chords ASIO driver from a sCLK-EX server beginning and endpoint. Never any issues with DSD dropouts here. For balanced output you have to step up to the plate on Chord DAC's, TT or DAVE. Good luck on other DAC's, see you soon back here looking for Chord option.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #206 of 6,741
Lost my dad on the 7 th of December and he loved music like me.Mrs wants a holiday and I want the Chord qutest and we are suppose to be getting married this year, am I selfish for buying the Chord qutest or shall we go away and I be selfless???

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #208 of 6,741
Thanks for a very informative and promising answer!

A little of topic, but I’m very happy with my Stax and KGSShv combination. I’m thankful every time I listen to the handmade amp. Build bu a very nice guy.

Your cable recmendation is funny because just a hour ago I looked at just that cable :)
I think it’s hard to find a better sounding dac for the money.

Thanks again!
I Use a KGSShv carbon from that man in Iceland together with H2 and 009s, the best headphone sound available IMHO

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #209 of 6,741
Lost my dad on the 7 th of December and he loved music like me.Mrs wants a holiday and I want the Chord qutest and we are suppose to be getting married this year, am I selfish for buying the Chord qutest or shall we go away and I be selfless???
Sorry to hear that. I hope that he lived many years and that he was a believer.
I would say buy the Quest and go on holiday later on when is more suitable.

Jan 14, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #210 of 6,741

I have tried 10+ different Linux kernels and distrubution, 4 different PC/Laptops and yes Chord has dropout on DSD (2Qute). This is not serious tested under Linux. So I can understand your frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back