Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,736

ChordElectronics

Member of the Trade: Chord Electronics
M2yZmLN.png

CHORD ELECTRONICS ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE

b6vMZVr.png

cpjBYkA.jpg

Qutest is a UK-made standalone digital-to-analogue converter based on our multi-award-winning Hugo 2 technology.

Qutest doesn’t follow the norm, it sets the standard with a brand new compact chassis design by John Franks with a stunning black finish, making it ideal for desktop environments. It benefits from a huge 49,152-tap filter, 10-element Pulse Array design by forum regular Rob Watts and features over 750x the processing power of DAC-chip rivals.

The new Qutest greatly improves on the previous 2Qute and user comments on the forum have helped shape its development. New filter options just like on Hugo 2 are now available, helping to tailor the sound. A front-mounted input selector switch makes source swapping simple: multiple sources can connect with seamlessly transition between devices. Plus, press both the ‘Filter’ and ‘Source’ buttons together at start-up and select from a variable output voltage of 1V, 2V, or 3V!

NrGQOhi.jpg

Pair Qutest with your headphone amplifier to tailor the sound to your liking, or connect to your amplifier for the purest audio experience, you can also upgrade streamers, CD transports/players and most digitally connected devices. Plus, there’s no discriminating against DAPs - Qutest supports Android, iOS, Windows, Apple OS X and Linux devices.

Qutest supports all major commercially available file formats up to 768kHz PCM and native DSD tracks to 512 (Octa-DSD).

Availability: Available for pre-order now

Price: £1195.00

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 6,736
Just adding my 2 cents, it's OK to drive sensitive speakers (e.g. Omega and Voxativ) and headphones directly with the RCA outputs of Quetest
A late night recommendation:

Connected different sensitive headphones direct to the RCA outlets on the 2Qute, and used my streamer with bit perfect digital vol, and it sounds very good!
Regarding volume control under Windows 10 etc.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...rd-2qute/?page=14&tab=comments#comment-667497
With the limited one op-amp up to 3V (line level) and having to use JRiver for volume control, I find I need to convert DSD on the fly to PCM 192, in order to control volume digitally.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 6,736
Nevermind,
What is the minimum requirements for 5V or does it need the full power input? Not so excited about the micro power input, to be honest. Now I'm thinking Hugo 2 over this?? With the micro power input and no volume control.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #8 of 6,736
If the Qutest had a headphone input, I suspect Chord would have had an even bigger success.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 6,736
Supplied charger is 5v 2A So I'd imagine it needs that. What's the problem with a Micro USB connection?
Alot, it's not exactly an ideal setup for a low impedance source. Of course Rob is going to say that power supply doesn't matter, again.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 6,736
I'm sure you could replace the power supply with whatever you want, the fact it would have to be terminated with a micro-USB connector really shouldn't make a difference should it?
Yes and no, concerning impedance.
Really it makes sense that Chord uses this input, micro, for power. It alleviates the dummy error using improper power supply.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 6,736
Some of us already own UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 and it's relatively easy to add an adapter for StarQuad DC power cables

OZ0l86Dm.jpg

However, it's very important to find out whether Qutest is consuming more than 5 watts or otherwise. LPS-1 is only good enough for 5.5 watts.

Regarding 2Qute, we're able to get away with two units of LPS-1 connected in parallel (7V + 5V = 12V) to provide up to 13.2 watts continuously. Actually the manual stated 0.5A @ 12V or 6 watts

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/2Qute-User-Manual.pdf#page=4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back