Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 26, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #1,276 of 6,746
Delivery scheduled Saturday April 28th by end of day! :ksc75smile:

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #1,278 of 6,746
I like!

A good cook should know how to cook everything best!

Hahaha +1 my friend! :)

Well two things, I've read a review of the Woo Audio WA33 and it is described as being very solid state in its sound not very tubey. Second is this: http://www.westernelectric.com/products/300b.html

EDIT: 2 hours later, received email Qutest is shipping to me! Hooray!

That 300B sure is a beauty! Thank you for the link I might just pick it up once it becomes available.

Also very interested in the Chord Qutest DAC! Please do leave impressions - It's always helpful!

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #1,279 of 6,746
Qutest has GI, so yes on this leg to DAC need 5VBUS. From source to SOtM component, no, not needed. Highly recommend bypassing fixers/renderers and going to a single server, DIY sCLK-EX server for best bang for buck.
Not as critical as what follows your Quest or upgrade to future add on m-scaler.

Thank you for confirming that. Much appreciated. I do like the sound of a DIY sCLK-EX server. Do you know of any easy-to-follow/build designs for one floating around?

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #1,280 of 6,746
Thank you for confirming that. Much appreciated. I do like the sound of a DIY sCLK-EX server. Do you know of any easy-to-follow/build designs for one floating around?
In this monster thread on CA is mine and others builds. Basically you will pick out a mobo, casing, hard drive, power supply to send to SOtM who will perform the clock modifications and send back to you. There are many options to this build. Everyone that has done the build up to this point has used a low power mobo that can be powered via 12V external PS.
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...y-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,281 of 6,746
You will get poor results if a 44.1k file is upsampled, so check that with 44.1k you get red as the sample rate.

Can I just confirm my understanding: my Auralic Aries has the capability to upsample to 705.6 kHz. Are you saying I shouldn’t use this with the Qutest as it will sound worse than leaving it at 44.1?

Thanks

Alan

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #1,284 of 6,746
Bit-Perfect

Apr 27, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,285 of 6,746
Problem with upsampling/filtering at the server is that you can create electrical noise at the server, greater mobo power needed, defeating the purpose to begin with for upsampling/filtering. Best done at the DAC for Chord in my opinion and experience.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,286 of 6,746
Qutest arrived today and have been listening for a couple of hours. WOW, this DAC sounds different! It should come with a warning not to listen for the first time alone in house by yourself, LOL. It clearly resolves sounds others I've had cannot. The bass is so low it sounds like its in the basement. "Mountains" from Interstellar soundtrack no longer has the distortion from the choir! Just clear.

I can say this is the best audio investment I've ever made, thank you Chord.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,287 of 6,746
Qutest arrived today and have been listening for a couple of hours. WOW, this DAC sounds different! It should come with a warning not to listen for the first time alone in house by yourself, LOL. It clearly resolves sounds others I've had cannot. The bass is so low it sounds like its in the basement. "Mountains" from Interstellar soundtrack no longer has the distortion from the choir! Just clear.

I can say this is the best audio investment I've ever made, thank you Chord.

Just stop it please ...

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,290 of 6,746
[QUOTE = "Joe-Siow, post: 14156155, member: 159547"] A correspondência é muito importante. Sendo proprietário de um Qutest, eu não diria que é um som brilhante. Tem muito boa transparência e detalhes embora.

Qual amplificador você tem na cadeia? O 804D3 também é muito transparente e se concentra mais em detalhes, então talvez o cabeamento de cobre seja mais adequado no sistema. [/ QUOTE]
In the beginning i feel de same.
Depois de 200 hours playng every thing is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back