Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #1,216 of 6,775
Disagree gsx mk2 ss provides an amazing microscope of ones dac, in my case TT. Excellent combo. I’m not sure if one needs to spend bludave monies although great if you can. May I suggest USB network music servers available now for considerably less, that do an amazing job. I understand an eco system but I like my options open.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #1,217 of 6,775
I would think the next MScaler will likely be integrated to a desktop digital player but it might be a while before we see such a product - all speculation of course.
It seems that Chord would make an m-scaler network streamer for Qutest sooner or later. If it have support for MQA and Roon, I would buy such DAC-streamer combo in a heartbeat. I hope this hypothetical streamer would not be like Poly (overloaded with features and more expensive than it`s DAC). Qutest is a minimalist DAC - one function, great value. I hope it`s streamer would be the same.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #1,218 of 6,775
It seems that Chord would make an m-scaler network streamer for Qutest sooner or later. If it have support for MQA and Roon, I would buy such DAC-streamer combo in a heartbeat. I hope this hypothetical streamer would not be like Poly (overloaded with features and more expensive than it`s DAC). Qutest is a minimalist DAC - one function, great value. I hope it`s streamer would be the same.

It seems MQA will never be implemented in Chord DACs if Rob has anything to say about it. Hint: he’s not a fan of MQA due to high levels of aliasing vs his WTA.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,219 of 6,775

I hope your right!
Can't see Chord ever supporting MQA to be honest. Not that it would be problem once Roon updates to support MQA's 1st unfold.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #1,221 of 6,775
It seems MQA will never be implemented in Chord DACs if Rob has anything to say about it. Hint: he’s not a fan of MQA due to high levels of aliasing vs his WTA.
Well, I think Rob do not have to like MQA to add it`s support. I like what PS Audio did - they said they don`t like MQA, but added it because the customers asked for it.

I don`t care if MQA is better or worse than DSD or other hi-res formats. I also don`t care if it is technically lossy or not. Like many other people here, my main music source is Tidal. With Tidal I don`t have an option of any other hi-res format, it`s MQA or 16/44. While there are a lot of different opinions about how MQA sounds, to me Tidal Masters sounds better then Tidal Hi-Fi. And I have to say that full hardware decoding sounds distinctly better, than "1st unfold" by software. I`ve tried various records in various setups, so I`m pretty sure about what is better for my ears.

At this point I would not buy any more or less expensive device without an MQA support. Maybe this would change in future, if I found better streaming service, maybe not. For now Tidal works perfect for me.

Apr 17, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,222 of 6,775

But putting it in the streamer (as suggested by Ragnar) would not be putting it in the DAC. Similar to PS Audio’s Bridge II implementation.

Also John says the 1st MQA unfold is ok, at the end of this video:

So the 1st unfold may come to a Chord streamer/Poly/2go one day? It’s not completely out of the question.

Any further ‘unfolding’ beyond the 1st unfold can be ruled out, per the video above.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #1,223 of 6,775
If you guys like MQA that’s great. I was simply posting regarding the DAC or M scaler (Rob’s intellectual property) regarding a ‘full’ implementation of MQA which isn’t what happens in the first unfolding (apologies for not being specific there). Also, John may very well endorse MQA in a seperate streamer (I doubt a streamer would include an M scaler) as he would want to sell as many units to as wide an audience as possible, but I didn’t mention John did I?

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,226 of 6,775

Which features of Poly do you consider bloated in the context of a streamer? I could see not needing an SD card reader, but in its place you might want an external storage plug. You may not need Bluetooth, but then you might want a remote control, or other switch to control the mode (Roon, DLNA, DSD, etc). I think the Poly would be a great starting point and since they have the boards already, they get a lot of leverage.

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,227 of 6,775
Chord next move should have been a DAC + STREAMER on this unit and price it higher IDC with HUGO2 SQ like the rest of em out there like directstream jr. and aurelic vega g2 now all coming out with streaming capabailites.

And I hope in future Chord makes a SET TUBE DAC. It will be the bomb and knowing how popular Chord products are now it will take off definately. And also I hope ROB starts making CLASS A AMPLIFIERS for speakers that can do 250WPC and transparent as the HUGO's.

Hopefully chord now work on products for the tube lovers in future. IF chord had a Tube lineup I wouldnt have to be in this dillema I would just buy Chord Tube lineup because I trust Robs engineeering and music taste. it cannot go wrong seeing his history and exprience. Now i am stuck in this frustrating dillema bevcause i wanna go tube.

Tubes will be in direct contradiction with what Chord and Rob are constantly trying to achieve. And that is exactness in digital reproduction of audio.
If you have the opportunity, attend one of the talks Rob does at audio shows. You'll get a better picture of what Chord have been trying to achieve all these years and the reasoning behind the approach to digital decoding and reproduction they have taken.

If its the same guys running the company for the foreseeable future, tube sets are not going to happen with/from Chord.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #1,228 of 6,775
Which features of Poly do you consider bloated in the context of a streamer? I could see not needing an SD card reader, but in its place you might want an external storage plug. You may not need Bluetooth, but then you might want a remote control, or other switch to control the mode (Roon, DLNA, DSD, etc). I think the Poly would be a great starting point and since they have the boards already, they get a lot of leverage.
Well, on the second thought you might be right about Poly features :) My mobile listening is very limited, so I`m not the best expert here. At home all I need is Roon or DLNA.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,229 of 6,775
Well, on the second thought you might be right about Poly features :) My mobile listening is very limited, so I`m not the best expert here. At home all I need is Roon or DLNA.

Yeah, that’s all I use, Roon at home or DLNA/Airplay on the go, but apparently Glider now uses MPD to control the soundcard via DLNA. I don’t need to understand it all, but it does sound great. So great, that I’m sure a Poly with desktop mode, like Hugo2 (this because I think it may be quieter than only running off PS), and a few modifications (like external storage port instead of SD card, addition of optical output, maybe coax), and you’d have a true winner for Qutest, Dave, Blu, Hugo TT, etc. even at $999-1200, that would be a no brained for me.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,230 of 6,775
And also I hope ROB starts making CLASS A AMPLIFIERS for speakers that can do 250WPC and transparent as the HUGO's.
Probably unlikely.
Rob is the digital amplifier expert for Chord, so I doubt that he would be involved with a tube amplifier design.
John Franks is the analogue amplifier expert at Chord, and was responsible for the TToby. If Chord did ever produce a tube amplifier, then he would be more likely to be involved than Rob.
Having said that, I don't think Chord would waste time on a tube amplifier, if their digital amplifiers turn out as good as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back