Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Mar 7, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #886 of 6,775
So I’m wrong, and I don’t know what an WTA is, no need to loose your schiit. He mentioned a on off switch for the over sampling, so I ASSUMED it was an option other DAC’s have, relax mate.
I just skimmed through Qutest manual and looks like Qutest will always oversample unless it's fed with the max bitrate files. Do you have Roon or any player where you can change the headroom? If so, you can play with a headroom to see if the distortion you hear is a clipping. Otherwise, have you tried different digital filters Qutest offers?

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #887 of 6,775
So ... I have a pair of Adam A7x with an Adam Sub 7. https://www.adam-audio.com/en/ax-series/a7x/

Does that qualify to be a high end system or not?

I really cant belive that the cables are more important than the actual speakers and room isolation. It doesnt make sense.

A fan of active speakers myself ... how is the sub integration A7X + sub 7 ? I suppose a 7-inch woofer must be snappy but I've never heard a ported sub capable of keeping up with an active speaker.

Regarding cables, there is definitely an affect including power cables but in my experience, there are definitely high value, low-cost upgrades out there. Digital cables specifically, I never understood why it would make a difference but some here have suggested that RFI gets in through cables (which makes sense) and therefore, what I have done is to get a well specified coax SPDIF cable and add two ferrites at both ends. On the other hand, Analog cables are a can of worms in my book. I have a few of my mates trying endlessly to even-out the characteristics of their system using different cables and that is something I wanted to avoid at all costs so my Qutest is plugged directly into my actives with rca adapters. So in short yes, cables do make a difference but unless you are Michael Fremer, best to stick to high value low cost solutions.

BTW it has been nearly a month with my Qutest and I really like what it has brought to my system. Listening to Katie Melua's In Winter album, it is amazing to hear so much space in the performance, the choir is right in front of you and around you. At the end of the listening session it dawns on you that actually, music is created to be a sum of many parts and when it is reproduced, it needs to be heard in that way to realise the simplicity of the arrangement and it is that simplicity that makes the album so enjoyable.

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #888 of 6,775
Yes. I too connect the Qutest directly to Speakers (in fact the signal gets first to Sub 7 via COAX and then form Sub 7 to A7x vis COAX. Some sugested that I should use a pre-amp, but I really dont see the purpose. It works just fine.

First I got a Sub 10, based on the reviews on the internet and Adam site recommendations. OMG! I literally experienced pain in my chest on 10% volume. Now I use Sub 7 at max 40% volume. Its very clear and its a big improvement to the sound of the A7x. I cant imagine having a bigger Sub. Adam produts are really powerful.

And I use inexpensive COAX cables.

Mar 7, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #889 of 6,775
I take back anything I’ve said about the Qutest in my moment of despair. One thing I’ve learnt about this hobby over the years is things have to settle, including myself.
Me and the little fella just had a moment, and jebus, wowsers.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #891 of 6,775
Skampmeister. Just out of interest, why did you purchase the Qutest and the Brooklyn DACs at virtually the same time. Also, with the Brooklyn costing easily twice as much as the Qutest, is it a fair comparison?

Good question. Been a Chord fan for 3 years, loved my 2qute, couldn’t wait for the Qutest. But since it’s release, I’ve always been intrigued by the Brooklyn. For one, it’s a very pretty device and I wanted a good’ish headphone amp. Besides it being reviewed well, I was just curious about it and wanted one to try. ‘But then the Brooklyn Plus arrived and then the Qutest as well, I actually couldn’t make up my mind which one to get, because I’d always be wondering what if, so I bought both.
Being as they are both just a week old, and as you can tell with this thread, I’ve been up and down with the Qutest, and actually I think I’m a bit under the weather, so my hearing is being rather sensitive, and things in general are sounding harsh, until tonight that is, seems to be back to normal.
Both DAC’s have their strong points, in this early stage I’m massively enjoying the Qutest with more mellow and quiet recordings, and boy does it do these well, and the Brooklyn so far seems to be more fun at higher volumes, especially for rock/metal.
In Australia there’s only $600 between them, $2400-$2999 and the Brooklyn has a lot more features than the Chord. But as far as purity with their DAC’s, I think the Chord will come through.
They are both way different than the 2qute, and the adjustment period is being up and down, as it seems my health is also lol.
Will I keep both, most likely, I like the Brooklyn with my LCD-X’S and the Chord will most likely be used the most with the room system. Plus MQA on the Brooklyn is better than MQA just through a Bluesound Node2, which each DAC has its own.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #892 of 6,775
Wow, thanks for the very comprehensive reply. Actually you’re right, the Brooklyn+ isn’t 2 x the price of the Chord. I was forgetting I got my Qutest cheaper than RRP via trading in my old Arcam DAC.
To be honest, I’d never looked at the Mytek DACs before, but the Brooklyn+ does get some very positive write ups and even has me curious now.
I’m also just getting over a cold and suffered the same overly sensitive hearing too, but that appears to be settling now and I’m enjoying the Qutest even more.
Next on my to do list now is looking into a good external power supply for the Qutest and a network audio player of some type. My poor wallet!

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #895 of 6,775
OK, do you still need power conditioning if you use a LPS?

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #896 of 6,775
OK, do you still need power conditioning if you use a LPS?

Yes, is the short answer and is probably more important and will help the rest of your system including your amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back