Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 22, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #5,941 of 6,736
Questions for the Qutest users. I'm a huge H2 fan, but unfortunately the TT2 is our of my price range.

Are people running these with good amps while listening on IEMs. I would be very interested to hear about the best stacks people have landed on for this use case (IEM use focused).
Cheers!

Jan 23, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #5,942 of 6,736
Questions for the Qutest users. I'm a huge H2 fan, but unfortunately the TT2 is our of my price range.

Are people running these with good amps while listening on IEMs. I would be very interested to hear about the best stacks people have landed on for this use case (IEM use focused).
Cheers!

Singxer would synergize with iem well because of how low the SNR. So far no IEM I ever tried to have hissing problem from it. Not to mention it has exponential volume control (non linear), to make sure we have enough room to move potentiometer with sensitive iem.

Jan 23, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #5,943 of 6,736

Cheers!
I use a Violectric V200 and IEMs. I was shocked at how much harder the bass of this amp hits compared to say a Dragonfly Red despite IEMs being really easy to drive. Also having the option to set the gain on the amp to -12 or -18 gives more than enough room on the volume dial.

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #5,944 of 6,736

Yeap must be Mojo2
Mojo was discontinued and needs a follow up

I hope this time with selectable filter.. the lack of this is why i sold mine and went for Qutest

vmnfuj1383e81.jpg

Jan 30, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #5,946 of 6,736
HRTF does work quite well - but - it needs accurate modelling of your own HRTF, and it needs really good DSP. 64 bit floating point is not up to the task unfortunately - getting DSP to be fully transparent requires much better accuracy than this. More about this issue later this year...

It only sorts out direction, not depth though. Perception of depth is another major issue, which HRTF will only degrade due to inadequate DSP.C
Can you answer something Rob Watts. Im using the Qutest with a MacBook Air, through a generic USB-B Cable. It then goes to a Schiit IEMagni. Why in gods name does it crackle like crazy when I play from my computer? Ive tried changing the output stages (I think) and nothing seem to work... I need help

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #5,947 of 6,736
Can you answer something Rob Watts. Im using the Qutest with a MacBook Air, through a generic USB-B Cable. It then goes to a Schiit IEMagni. Why in gods name does it crackle like crazy when I play from my computer? Ive tried changing the output stages (I think) and nothing seem to work... I need help
Try different laptop or player with exclusive access to USB. The crackle is mostly due to error in transfer of data packets via USB.

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #5,949 of 6,736
Yes tried it on my PC and it played without faults.. Now how to solve it...
Which player are you using to play music in Air ? Some players like Audirvana etc take exclusive access and help in avoiding such data loss. are you using any USB hub etc?

Jan 30, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #5,951 of 6,736
Im just using Spotify but the problem occurs on Youtube and basically all noise from the computer.
Sorry forgot to ask do you connect via USB hub or directly to your laptop?

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #5,953 of 6,736
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #5,954 of 6,736
I experienced crackle from Apple M1 laptop to Qutest (via Roon) but only at higher bit rates (above 24/192). In my case it was resolved by using a streamer using the same USB cable as direct from the Mac. So I know it wasn’t the cable.
Well I would want to be able to use all the streaming services if I could =) Im looking into it. As is said, works awesome on pc and also using optical.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #5,955 of 6,736
Hmm, which M Air model are you using?
And what are its specs?
I am possibly thinking of geting an M1 Air without a fan as a handy lightweight travel laptop for next season when I hope to be able to travel in SE Asia again over winter.
Since 2 years I have been stuck in Sweden over winter and it really sucks.
I have been using my old 2011 MBP 17" before on all my travels since 2011 and also at home with no major problems,mainly playing stored hi res files via Audirvana and Pure Music. But I prefer my iMac with streamed material, mainly YT in my case.
As far as I know one can not by-pass the internal dac on a mac with optical?
But optical out from a cd transport into Mscaler can sound surprisingly good with well recorded 16/44.1 material.
The only time I have tried playing music via an M Air was in Malaysia in a shop with Qutest and Mscaler and it worked without problems with usb and native hi res files up to DXD 24/358.
Unfortunately I can not remember which model it was.
But I too would be very interested to know if an M1 Air is a good idea or not with Chord dacs?
For my purposes I will need one with at least 16 gigabyte ram and at least a 512G SSD.
"Memory Play" in both Audivana and PM needs lots of ram.
Cheers CC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back