Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 11, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #5,582 of 6,746
Is there a significant sound quality difference between H2 and Qutest when receiving optical or coax input?
Per chance...after thinking about this question for a long while last week I purchased a cheap $50 USB to SPDIF / Optical converter made by Douk Audio, which enables me to connect my OpticalRendu to my Qutest via optical. The improvement in sound quality is truly astonishing in my system. I was totally expecting a dead-heat, or at least a very close comparison. But there is no comparison. I'll never go back to USB. And that's with just a simple $50 box from China.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #5,583 of 6,746
Per chance...after thinking about this question for a long while last week I purchased a cheap $50 USB to SPDIF / Optical converter made by Douk Audio, which enables me to connect my OpticalRendu to my Qutest via optical. The improvement in sound quality is truly astonishing in my system. I was totally expecting a dead-heat, or at least a very close comparison. But there is no comparison. I'll never go back to USB. And that's with just a simple $50 box from China.
Interesting but, unfortunately, doesn’t help me. Perhaps my question wasn’t clear. What I’m hoping to find out is how Qutest & Hugo 2 compare when NOT using USB input — meaning either optical or coax input.

Aug 11, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #5,584 of 6,746
Interesting but, unfortunately, doesn’t help me. Perhaps my question wasn’t clear. What I’m hoping to find out is how Qutest & Hugo 2 compare when NOT using USB input — meaning either optical or coax input.

That's what I'm saying....instead of oR --> USB --> Qutest (normal configuration), I've changed to oR -> USB --> Douk Audio-->Optical-->Qutest. So I am avoiding the Qutest's USB input. Massive improvement.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #5,585 of 6,746
That's what I'm saying....instead of oR --> USB --> Qutest (normal configuration), I've changed to oR -> USB --> Douk Audio-->Optical-->Qutest. So I am avoiding the Qutest's USB input. Massive improvement.
Until I get to hear what the SRC-DX thing can do, my path with Qutest is usb into Mscaler and WAVE Storm BNCs out from Mscaler.
The only times in a couple of years that I have used my Qutest on its own via usb was while trying out PGGB.
Running Qutest on a battery powered PSU ,not stock, nor powerbank, and results in both cases, are good.
Cheers CC

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,586 of 6,746
OK, one more time:

How does the sound of the Qutest compare to the sound of Hugo 2 when BOTH are NOT driven by USB?

Meaning I don't care about performance when playing from USB inputs, nor about how much sound quality improves when switching from USB input to Optical or Coax.

Aug 17, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #5,588 of 6,746
Just got a Qutest which replaces my Hugo 2. For me, it's the sweet spot in the Chord canon, especially when paired with a TOTL amp. Is the TT2 "better"? Yes, of course, but not significantly IMO.

Anyway, I'm looking to get at least try a couple of linear power supplies. I'm especially interested in the Farad Super3. Does anyone have an experience of this pairing?

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #5,591 of 6,746
I'm with it that it may make little difference to the Qutest, but mine is fed by a Pi4 and it sure makes a huge difference to that. I have the Shanti, so it powers both

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #5,592 of 6,746
Man it is so hard to decide between Ares II vs Qutest. Some consensus in reviews suggests the Ares II is warmer, more analog, presents instruments more lifelike, has bigger soundstage than Qutest, but less detail. But other reviewers say Qutest is the one that is more lifelike and that Qutest is much more detailed. Still others say Qutest sounds more obviously digital, while others say the reverse, that Qutest sounds LESS digital than Ares II. I have no chance of getting to audition both DACs in my home rig. Has anyone else actually managed to AvB the Ares II and Qutest ? Of course I have watched all the YT videos but as I said, some seem to say contradictory things so it becomes hard to know who to believe. Please don't suggest I compare Pontus II to Qutest as I can't stretch financially to a Pontus II.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #5,593 of 6,746
Man it is so hard to decide between Ares II vs Qutest. Some consensus in reviews suggests the Ares II is warmer, more analog, presents instruments more lifelike, has bigger soundstage than Qutest, but less detail. But other reviewers say Qutest is the one that is more lifelike and that Qutest is much more detailed. Still others say Qutest sounds more obviously digital, while others say the reverse, that Qutest sounds LESS digital than Ares II. I have no chance of getting to audition both DACs in my home rig. Has anyone else actually managed to AvB the Ares II and Qutest ? Of course I have watched all the YT videos but as I said, some seem to say contradictory things so it becomes hard to know who to believe. Please don't suggest I compare Pontus II to Qutest as I can't stretch financially to a Pontus II.

I still have no idea when people compare device and start to wrote "this one sound more digital", like, what is the general consensus of "sound digital" itself? Why wouldn't they stick with bright/dark, warm/cold. thick/thin.

Anyway I believe chord qutest has more similar price to pontus II, not ares II.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #5,595 of 6,746
this doesn't answer your question @Moonglum ...but if it helps, I also wrestled between the Ares and the Qutest decision. I plumped for the Chord in the end, as I felt it would better handle upgrades to elsewhere in the system i.e had more 'potential' but also because it was UK-made (which is biased I know). I've been very happy with the Qutest though. The sound, to me, in my system, with the music I listen to, is very impressive and extremely accurate/realistic with voices and imaging. The Ares may also be ace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back