Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Aug 27, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #5,101 of 6,740
I tried a cheaper Fospower cable today and that didn't work either. Instead of the faint static I got from the Lifatec, the Fospower played nothing.

I confirmed my Mac Mini 2014 plays 192khz and my Audio Midi settings were correct.

I noticed that the light in the middle of the Qutest that turns green when playing 96hz flashes red when I switch to 192khz. Does that flashing red light indicate anything?
A flashing red light probably means the DAC cannot recognize the stream.
Earlier, Toshiba produced optical transmitters. These transmitters are guaranteed to support 192 kHz. Now, when these interfaces are manufactured in China, there is no guarantee that your device will have a stable output of a stream with a sampling frequency of 192 KHz. For this reason, almost all manufacturers do not declare support for 192 KHz when using S/PDIF optical interfaces.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #5,102 of 6,740
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #5,103 of 6,740
I am running Mac Mini > Lifatec glass optical > Chord Qutest

When using Qobuz it plays fine at 24/96 but if I switch to the 24/192 setting I just get a faint static. My understanding is the Qutest is capable of 192khz using the optical input. Is there a Mac or Qutest setting or something else I am missing?
Extracted from a PM with Matt a year ago.
" All our DACs are capable of 24/192KHz over optical. However the spec and design of spdif optical means at this rate it is right on the edge of working. This means you need to keep the optical cable as short as possible, use glass fibre if possible and then the fibre in the plugs has to be perfectly aligned so that there is no mismatch when plugged into the receiver in the DAC. So there are lots of factors that can cause optical to fail at 24/192KHz.

Added to this around 2 years ago Sony in particular (but also the optical component manufacturers) announced that they would stop support of 24/192KHz via optical and there was a recommendation that the spec was reduced to 24/96KHz for all consumer products to help reduce the confusion and the number of customer support cases.
This means that Chord had no guarantee that the source would actually work correctly at 24/192KHz, whether the optical cable was capable of passing the signal up to 24/192KHz, and then finally on top of that any cable mismatch issue would also cause problems.

So Chord have decided to simplify things and start to change the spec of all our products to only guarantee operation at 24/96KHz, to avoid any confusion or upset when higher rates do not work correctly. So yes there is a difference between 'ratified' which means we can guarantee operation and 'technically capable of' where it can do it if the correct conditions are met."

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #5,104 of 6,740
I'm using a medium quality BNC cable with from my DDC to the Qutest, the Belden 1694A from BlueJeans cable for $25, and will soon be getting an industry-leading one from Wave High Fidelity - will chime in on any differences.

Now you are going to have to get a Chord M Scaler to accessorise with that Wave cable!

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #5,105 of 6,740
Ok on a sidetrack.
I was just openly noob wondering. The HMS 'predicts' the original waveform shape between the samples while upscaling. And this is 'live' processed every time again while playing needing a powerful CPU.

Can't this be digitally recorded.. or processed just once to create a new 768khz file to store and played? Qutest USB takes the sample rate needed. I'm aware the music files would become of much bigger size.
This would be for the ones with smaller wallets😁

A PC won't even need to be that powerful while not live playing.. it just takes more time to generate the files.

Ofcourse the same algorytm as in the HMS should be used, not just linear doubling of samples which wouldnt add any details.

It would mean a software application made by Chord that actually remasters 44.1 files.

Well i'm just stargazing lol.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #5,106 of 6,740
Ok on a sidetrack.
I was just openly noob wondering. The HMS 'predicts' the original waveform shape between the samples while upscaling. And this is 'live' processed every time again while playing needing a powerful CPU.

Can't this be digitally recorded.. or processed just once to create a new 768khz file to store and played? Qutest USB takes the sample rate needed. I'm aware the music files would become of much bigger size.

A PC won't even need to be that powerful while not live playing.. it just takes more time to generate the files.

Ofcourse the same algorytm as in the HMS should be used, not just linear doubling of samples which wouldnt add any details.

It would mean a software application made by Chord that actually remasters 44.1 files.

This can be done with HQPlayer 4 Pro, but a big wallet is required

Aug 30, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #5,107 of 6,740
Ok on a sidetrack.

Yes, the digital output of the HMS can technically be encoded into a file at the upsampled rate. Chord could actually provide some upsampled files for users to test the difference on their systems before purchasing a HMS.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #5,108 of 6,740
Like offering this on their site.. just pay, upload your file and download after processing.. many companies make money this way. But i guess copyrights and stuff is involved

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #5,109 of 6,740
I thought some of you may be interested in my findings with the potential of ferrite beads on the Qutest stock cable, and especially on other parts of a hi-fi system. Quoted from the Qutest aftermarket PSU thread:

BREAKTHROUGH ALERT

Introducing the ferrite bead improvement! These are nothing new, but new to me and I have found a few good uses for it, always making a positive difference and in slightly different ways on different components. So I have these 8 beads sitting around I got for like $6 five years ago to quell buzzing sound on an external anode wire for tubes. The incoming BNC cable from Wave High Fidelity that uses ferrite beads / chokes got me to thinking how these may be of use elsewhere.

Initially I tried these on my 6V AC cable leading to the Schiit Wyrd which is a USB purifier that goes between my PC and DDC / audio interface before feeding a super pure digital stream into the Qutest DAC. Here are my results with it after meticulous testing in different positions and A/B'ing with & without over two days:
  • Ferrite beads on Schiit Wyrd cable
    Instant transformation: treble is smoother and more detailed without added fatigue, overall more natural / organic sound, improved instrument separation with a more holographic soundstage to boot! Bass is faster and especially now drums hit harder!
    After trying all 8, 4 then 3 I actually settled with just 3. All 8 to me resulted in a somewhat overbaked job akin to clinical sonic reproduction, but the 3 combined with the 4 mentioned below were 'just the ticket' for me. I've found them to perhaps sound best when spaced approx. 6-8" (inches) from the source on either side, and 1 in the middle.
-20200829_192758.jpg
  • Ferrite beads on aftermarket silver HD-600 cable
    While hearing more similar improvements on a headphone cable with generally improved resolution all around, this way is especially effecting the 'vividness' of the recording as well as harder hitting drums AKA dynamics. I heard decent improvement with two beads, but settled on four and I'm hooked for life!
    The combination of ferrite chokes on USB purifier and headphone cable resulted in a total metamorphosis of sound, almost leaving me to question whether the same song is still playing, and hearing a new detail I've yet to hear on a same trusty test song I've heard 100's of times over the years. Numerous comparisons yielded unwavering and repeatable night / day improvements, making my system sound fairly 'smeared' and dull without, as if sounds are more in one blob not separated as well and with softer drums - oh yes this system can perform better with the chokes!
20200829_202916.jpg

• Ferrite beads on the Qutest stock PSU cable
    Although I already have a spectacular LPS, I thought I'd do this comparison 'for the team'. On this one, the sound was affected quite different than above. I did another comparison of the Qutest stock DC wall-wart (PSU cable) to my LPS with thick aftermarket DC cable (both without any ferrite beads) and noticed a much more vivid sound, with robust dynamics, smoother treble & more detail with the LPS. Next attaching all 8 ferrite beads to the Qutest stock PSU cable, I was actually pleasantly taken aback. It's a very coherent sound with some improvements: bass definition improved a bit, things seems more forward and I'm hearing a bit more details.

A few A/B's however made me realize the ferrite beads are no match for a good LPS, maybe sounding 1/3rd as good - yet still better than 'stock'. The stereo image seemed to suffer from a bit of 'congestion' and instrument placements seemed a bit 'smeared'. I do suppose however if one were to get a large pack of these beads / chokes... say 20 on the Qutest cable and 4-8 more for your headphone cable and any other components as desired, you just may have the 'smoking gun' for a dirt cheap hack that doesn't involve a LPS replacement. For me though having only 8 I was unable to test beads on all 3 cables simultaneously.
20200829_214319.jpg

Ferrite beads on both the USB purifier cable and headphones for me were PURE magic dust, with a heightened sense of realism unlike I've experienced before at home, with substantial improvement on transient response (drums / dynamics) etc. and is what finally put a smile on my face. Not everybody's results will be identical but I encourage you to experiment to your liking, and these are cheap too.

On my system in particular something that made a huge difference was the Kenwood VR-406 A/V receiver I came across for free - a semi-vintage 5.1 channel solid-state speaker amp that happens to have a m-a-r-v-e-l-o-u-s headphone output to boot (in "source direct" mode), for me comparing very well with the Rangarok v1.

For my LPS, it's a custom prototype that is similar to one which compared favorably to the Allo Shanti by some. For anyone with that LPS, I recommend trying the beads on its' thin cable and see how much things may improve. Though it also helps on other parts of the system perhaps even more.

Sep 15, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,110 of 6,740
Hi reading through well, skimming through this tread has me thinking about adding a M Scaler to my Qutest. While contemplating and poking around on the web I found this new to me Denafrips, Isis and Gaia. These are D to D converters not upscalers. What caught my eye was " The Gaia transforms the Qutest. I had to keep checking myself since the Gaia arrived to make sure I was hearing the magnitude of change I believed I was hearing. Yep, it is real. I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles." Does anyone have experience with these converters

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #5,112 of 6,740
Hi reading through well, skimming through this tread has me thinking about adding a M Scaler to my Qutest. While contemplating and poking around on the web I found this new to me Denafrips, Isis and Gaia. These are D to D converters not upscalers. What caught my eye was " The Gaia transforms the Qutest. I had to keep checking myself since the Gaia arrived to make sure I was hearing the magnitude of change I believed I was hearing. Yep, it is real. I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles." Does anyone have experience with these converters

Trying to figure out what a Gaia does?
If you don't actually need to convert from one format to another is it just a noise filter?
I guess if you are using a computer as a source it could have quite a dramatic effect. Another way to achieve that is by moving the playback function of the computer to a low cost low noise streamer. I get the feeling I am missing something important here.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #5,113 of 6,740
Trying to figure out what a Gaia does?
If you don't actually need to convert from one format to another is it just a noise filter?
I guess if you are using a computer as a source it could have quite a dramatic effect. Another way to achieve that is by moving the playback function of the computer to a low cost low noise streamer. I get the feeling I am missing something important here.
I’m with you. I’m trying to understand how a DDC could give such a radical perception.

Sep 16, 2020 at 3:28 AM Post #5,114 of 6,740
The Gaia is a bit like an iGalvanic3.0 + iUSB3.0 but taken to a much higher level and also catering for SPDIF inputs and outputs (and laboratory atomic clocks if you have any). I dare say it will have a noticeable effect on any DAC. Even the humble iPurifier3 gets a cleaner better separated sound out of most USB DACs including Hugo2 (so probably applies to Qutest also). It would be interesting to know if Gaia does anything at all when using optical to a Chord DAC given the level of jitter immunity of the pulse array DAC.

Has anyone here tried an iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier on optical to a Chord DAC?

Gaia does not do what M-Scaler does so you still need an M-Scaler.

Sep 16, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #5,115 of 6,740
The Gaia is a bit like an iGalvanic3.0 + iUSB3.0 but taken to a much higher level and also catering for SPDIF inputs and outputs (and laboratory atomic clocks if you have any). I dare say it will have a noticeable effect on any DAC. Even the humble iPurifier3 gets a cleaner better separated sound out of most USB DACs including Hugo2 (so probably applies to Qutest also). It would be interesting to know if Gaia does anything at all when using optical to a Chord DAC given the level of jitter immunity of the pulse array DAC.

Has anyone here tried an iFi Audio SPDIF iPurifier on optical to a Chord DAC?

Gaia does not do what M-Scaler does so you still need an M-Scaler.
Technobear, my ears and wallet thank you! :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back