Poll:Aftermarket Qutest psu.

Chord Qutest power supply

• Stock

• Aftermarket

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #76 of 218
Well, different strokes for different folks, as they say. The amp + speakers or headphones connected to the Qutest have a huge impact on being able to hear the difference. And I would speculate that a USB input into the Qutest has strong potential to inject RF noise, possibly negating the clean power effect of any DC LPS or battery power - not to mention its' USB input is not up to par with superior sound that can be had with other connections such as Toslink optical and BNC coax cables. Also I would think that a good DC LPS with a thick & shielded DC cable into the Qutest has better ability to absorb dirty energy than a small battery pack is able to do. Furthermore if you're expecting an improvement from a main conditioner when using an AC/DC PSU, you're doing it wrong. Mains conditioners filter AC power, but this advantage is negated after converting back to DC and sent over a very thin gauge cable - something I have also tested multiple times to sound the same with my top conditioning unit as direct to main power and same as without any PSU. Even more is that if you're using a battery pack akin to a mobile power-bank you're getting less than optimally clean power since these all use voltage regulators which are detrimental to the sound.

Not hearing a difference with an alternative LPS with the Qutest IMO can be attributed to the resolving ability of ones' gear connected to its' output, hearing ability, or from feeding the Qutest dirty electricity via other components.
Some interesting points ...
Tried a powerbank after reading posts about digital hash from MScaler and Qutest needing special BNC cables,
“Mains conditioner” is a local Thor brand with their own filtering power boards ... google some reviews it’s more than just a mains conditioner ...
Sound over USB from a dedicated PC is at least equal to a Cambridge CXC Transport over Toslink

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 3:23 AM Post #77 of 218
Voted stock ...
tried a battery pack and couldn’t detect any real difference,
more noticeable was upgrading the USB and BNC cables To the MScaler ...
although the stock PSU’s for Qutest and MScaler are plugged into seperate isolated filter boards fed from a mains conditioner ...
What sort of battery pack are you using? If it is one of the popular Lithium ones, then you will still have the potentially noisy current switcher in the circuit and many have reported no difference using these. The only battery pack with a native 5V is 4xNiMH.
Also by having the Mscaler in the chain there are 2 potentially noisy switching supplies to consider. Replacing one is only half a job.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #78 of 218
What sort of battery pack are you using? If it is one of the popular Lithium ones, then you will still have the potentially noisy current switcher in the circuit and many have reported no difference using these. The only battery pack with a native 5V is 4xNiMH.
Also by having the Mscaler in the chain there are 2 potentially noisy switching supplies to consider. Replacing one is only half a job.
Hence the Thor products .... as I said in previous reply ... google some reviews
Mains analyser with or without an SMPS psu .... 0-1

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #79 of 218
I just voted for the stock PSU as i’m more than happy with the sound with upgraded cables ...
Lots of posts re MScaler and needing special cables led to a quick experiment with a powerbank I already had ...
Listening done via main system and speakers, if I noticed something I might have plugged the Stax energiser directly into the Qutest ..
So what improvements could I expect with a good LPS on the Qutest and MScaler ...
a few reviews out there intimate the pair is arguably better resolving than a stand alone DAVE but in turn it sounds more “musical” which to me would point to better harmonics and instrument tonality .....
If the answer is “closer to a DAVE” I’d be very interested ....
As I said, more than happy with the Chord pair but always open to ideas ...
Tried them out a few weeks back with Dire Straits Brothers in Arms ... ripped CD version, SACD version and LP version ...
Ripped CD version just won out ... better bass definition than SACD and a little more dynamic than LP, but to be fair SACD was from a multi disc Sony 4K BluRay player so not really in the same league as the Chord duo or even the Rega P6 / Graham Slee phono amp ...

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #80 of 218
Farad will sell a 5v super cap board and transformer for 100 euros plus tax but the soldering needs to be precise and accurate so do not embark on this unless you are experienced and proficient in detailed soldering . . . .

Hopefully I will report back on my thoughts but it will take a little while to get the arts then do the conversion.

You can can send the supply back and have them do the conversion, which I am sure you already know, but then there is the travel time and cost of freight there and back.

Different power supply designs also favour certain components. I hadn’t really thought about it until ‘Superdad’ from UpTone mentioned it to me. He said that components that have wildy different power draws like computer based devices (Like Streamers) may work better better with supercacitor supplies and SMPS. Computers can demand huge spikes in current for hundreds of a second to refresh RAM, and are generally more random in power demands from the subsystems while other devices draw in a more sinusoidal fashion which may favour transformer based supplies. Of course there is way more to it than than that, but it started me thinking more about synergies of certain supplies with certain components. The best supplies on some components may not be the best on other components.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #81 of 218
So what improvements could I expect with a good LPS on the Qutest and MScaler ...
a few reviews out there intimate the pair is arguably better resolving than a stand alone DAVE but in turn it sounds more “musical” which to me would point to better harmonics and instrument tonality .....
If the answer is “closer to a DAVE” I’d be very interested ....

I don’t know how it compares to a Dave, but a good supply on the MScaler, a good supply on the Qutest and ferrited BNC cables (DIY) each raise the performance. It’s almost like you don’t hear the full potential of the components without these.

More to consider - mains filters (and mains analysers) rarely work in the GHZ range which is the range which will affect the performance of the DAC, as ferrited cables and OPTO DX clearly prove. Power filters and the MScaler itself have the MHZ range covered but not the GHZ range. Plus those SMPS push out LOTS of AC leakage current, which Rob doesn’t talk about much except when people have humming problems or get minor electrical tingling from the casing of their components, however other engineers do flag this as problematic if not for your DAC then for whatever your DAC is attached to. Ferrited cables and power filters do nothing for AC leakage, but good supplies do.

Another note on power filters, they may be good in stopping SMPS noise getting back to the rest of your system and won’t effect the performance of an SMPS, and can be good for low current digital devices but they may well be detrimental to conventional transformer/capacitor power supplies. If they stop power surges they will also interfere the way a power supply charges its capacitors.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #82 of 218
Tried clip on ferrite‘s on the stock BNC cables which some say are marginal vs a close fitting ferrite ... 2 then 4,6,8
noted the slight difference each time so left them at 8 per cable, in the interim I decided to match the USB cable to the rest of the system after trying various USB cables both on approval and courtesy of friends .... went through Belkin gold, Cord silver plus, Atlas and 2 Oyaide‘s D+ class A and class S, slight preference for the cheaper class A as the S seemed bolder or more forward ...
so in went a Nordost Blue Heaven USB ... biggest improvement to date ... bit the bullet and put in 2 Blue Heaven BNC cables...
for the first time going up from bypass on the MScaler became really noticeable ... red to green ... yup.. green to blue ... oh yeah ... blue to white .. oh wow .. all three are Nordost recommended 1.5 metre length ... got me wondering if the “issue” with RF isn‘t so much coming out of the BNC socket as being radiated by the MScaler itself and then picked up by the stock cables ...
straying away from the OP a little (sorry) but all part of my original vote ...
output of the Qutest is via Nordost Heimdalls to a CJ CT6 pre ..

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #83 of 218
Tried clip on ferrite‘s on the stock BNC cables which some say are marginal vs a close fitting ferrite ... 2 then 4,6,8
noted the slight difference each time so left them at 8 per cable, in the interim I decided to match the USB cable to the rest of the system after trying various USB cables both on approval and courtesy of friends .... went through Belkin gold, Cord silver plus, Atlas and 2 Oyaide‘s D+ class A and class S, slight preference for the cheaper class A as the S seemed bolder or more forward ...
so in went a Nordost Blue Heaven USB ... biggest improvement to date ... bit the bullet and put in 2 Blue Heaven BNC cables...
for the first time going up from bypass on the MScaler became really noticeable ... red to green ... yup.. green to blue ... oh yeah ... blue to white .. oh wow .. all three are Nordost recommended 1.5 metre length ... got me wondering if the “issue” with RF isn‘t so much coming out of the BNC socket as being radiated by the MScaler itself and then picked up by the stock cables ...
straying away from the OP a little (sorry) but all part of my original vote ...
output of the Qutest is via Nordost Heimdalls to a CJ CT6 pre ..

I must have 10kg of various ferrites I have tried and use around the home. There are only two sets of solid ferrites which Ive found so far which really help the MScaler to DAC connection, from Fairight and Wurth. The vast majority of ferrites are designed for the MHZ range, these two sets reach above 1GHZ.

And I hear you about USB cables. I tried about a dozen different audiophile brands and dismayed and exhausted from the whole experience I put the whole exercise aside and came back to the lowly Oyaide Neo Class A as the best of the lot that I tried (Yes including the Supra). BUT the whole time since then I’ve realised that this a weak point in my replay chain and I am gathering the energy to get round to try some better alternatives. Your post has encouraged me.

And you have a very good point on radiated RFI, which Im starting to believe is the reason why the JSSG360 shielding on cables is so beneficial and audible. Not just because it shields the cables from external interference, because It also stops problematical components from radiating interference out via connected cables. Plus by the nature of the shielding not being tied to signal ground, it doesn’t just dump interference onto the ground plane where it will inevetibly find its way back into the modulated signal. (The key technology behind Lush USB cables is JSSG360 shielding)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #84 of 218
I must have 10kg of various ferrites I have tried and use around the home. There are only two sets of solid ferrites which Ive found so far which really help the MScaler to DAC connection, from Fairight and Wurth. The vast majority of ferrites are designed for the MHZ range, these two sets reach above 1GHZ.

And I hear you about USB cables. I tried about a dozen different audiophile brands and dismayed and exhausted from the whole experience came back to the lowly Oyaide Neo Class A as the best of the lot that I tried (Yes including the Supra). BUT the whole time I’ve realised that this a a weak point in my replay chain and I am gathering the focus to try some better alternatives. Your post has encouraged me.

And you have a very good point on radiated RFI, which Im starting to believe is the reason why the JSSG360 shielding on cables is so beneficial and audible. Not just because it shields the cables from external interference, because It also stops problematical components from radiating interference out via connected cables.
Main reason (apart from the price) I went for the Blue Heaven range is they’re the first in the range to use “micro monofilament tech “ which is a nice match for my version one Hiemdall’s and that they‘re terminated with quality BNC connectors, Hiemdall 2 USB and BNC cables are close to double the price too ... and they go up and up from there 😳
so many to chose from ... and so few $$ to play with ...
and Nordost‘s Q Source is big $$ for a good linear PSU ... too late to get a better job ... Lottery win the only avenue left ...

Aug 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #85 of 218
Hey
Just been directed here and - after swapping the ifi for the shanti... BOOM

Test track was Goldie's Kemistry. just made it sound that tad more holographic and with more oomph. Switching to Beastie Boys 'Get it together' , Q-Tip was just sounding mercurial. As he should....

:)

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #87 of 218
REVIEW: ALLO SHANTI LPS, BAKOON LI BATTERY SUPPLY

REASON

Power supply discussions seem to generate a lot of strong opinions, and since I just carried out some concentrated listening of various power supplies, I thought I would jot down my impressions, a lot of it for my own record, thus as succinct as possible.

SETTING

All power supplies mentioned are compared on Chord Qutest DAC and were all plugged into modified Liebert on-line, double-conversion power generator. To minimize variables and to maximize minute differences, all supplies were compared on the same rig comprising of Schiit Jotunheim R amplifier powering Raal SR1a ribbon headphones by the way of Norne Silvergarde S3 pure silver headphone cable.

ALLO SHANTI LINEAR POWER SUPPLY

0827201234 by drjlo2, on Flickr

The thing I like about Allo Shanti is that despite what is obviously of serious build quality, its price is in the computer/IT realm not in the audiophile uber price realm. It annoys me when certain audiophile companies pretend like they are selling solid bricks of gold, similar to how medical supply companies quadruple prices for "medical grade" power plugs, etc. The fact Shanti sports the latest audiophile perks like supercaps on output and provide two outputs (5V/3A, 5V/1A) is a bonus.

In direct comparison to Chord's stock SMPS (which actually sounds quite good) and Bakoon BPS-02 Lithium battery PS, Shanti differs by offering more density of texture and information. At first glance, I can see some people actually preferring the stock SMPS, which sounds "prettier." In photography/video terms, SMPS is akin to turning up brightness half click and turning down contrast half click. This creates smoother yet airier sound that can be more forgiving of poor recordings while still bringing life and sparkle to music.

Shanti actually seems to pull together the sonic pixels into more dense balls, so the performers are less diffusely large/forward. Those who prefer large, forward, diffuse images (like from Magnepan speakers) may like the SMPS presentation more, especially with certain recordings that need that treatment. This density carries into bass as well. I've seen others mention that certain heavy-duty LPS's, including some mentions of Shanti, produce much more bass than "puny" SMPS's, which may or may not be the case depending on system. On this system, what Shanti does is produce more dense, solid bass, which can give the impression of "more" bass due to noticing its presence more. This is not night-and-day difference at all, and I consider SMPS bass perfectly great.

The puny stock Chord SMPS plugged into Teslaplex AC outlets.

0827201137 by drjlo2, on Flickr

The main thing that may keep the Shanti around is its better retrieval of low-level details from mediocre recordings. With recent, high-quality recordings, the system sounds perfectly faultless with SMPS; it wants for nothing IMO. Mind you, this is only possible due to numerous refinements and optimizations over the years, i.e. just the right cabling, power treatment, adapters, server, software, etc, etc. If I listened to great recordings all day, I do not need to use the Shanti or Bakoon battery supply. However, with good-but-not-great recordings from say 1990's (good luck with 80's recordings), Shanti pulls in just that last few percent more detail resolution, so the decent recordings become more insightful and enjoyable. One can hear a bit deeper into singer's smacking lips or quick inhalation before belting out, just a small bit more of venue wall reflections and sound trails as trumpet notes fade.

THE BAD

At this price point, the only negative that bugs me is the attached DC cable. It is very thin and extremely long. I already know DC cables sound different by comparing and DIY'ing them, so at some point, I suspect I will mess with these. If better DC cables weren't possible due to target price, then Allo should have at least provided DC jacks instead of permanently attaching them IMHO.

WHAT ABOUT BATTERIES?

IME, garden-variety laptop 5V battery supplies do not sound great. Along with cheap, poorly-designed linear power supplies, these battery supplies tend to place a veil over the music while overly smoothing things out. I get best sound quality by using batteries at their native voltage, in which case, clarity and life is preserved. Unfortunately, one can't find native 5V Lithium batteries, so the next best thing is the Bakoon bps-02 Li battery supply (same unit here OEM JCAT).

ShantiBakoon by drjlo2, on Flickr

With a good Li battery supply like this, the entire presentation is different. Whether the difference is "better" or "preferable" is up to the individual's tastes and system synergy. The background really does become more "inky black" like many reviewers out there report. Textures and details become sexily pure and liquid while instrumental and vocal tone become rich, deep, wide. I mean, who wouldn't like THIS, one wonders. Many audiophiles can actually stop right here and not look back.

But since I am particularly particular, I have noted one tendency. Music is beautiful with noiseless background, but after long listening sessions, I do notice a sameness, a recognizable signature that slightly coats all genres. It's slight and it's a pleasant signature, but after a long session, I feel this signature lessens the excitement and anticipation of finding out what the next track would sound like, and a different artist next, etc.

Since I am not aware of native 5V batteries to compare to Bakoon, I cannot be sure if this tendency is due to the fact it still has internal voltage regulation or due to powering a device with both digital and analogue amplification circuitry. The times I can power a purely digital component with native battery, I do not hear this "sameness." For example, I am powering SOtM USB soundcard and USB-spdif converter with 18650 batteries, and there is no downside here. In past, using 12V native batteries to power other pure digital components also did not result in any downside, either. Oh, well, I suppose this question is unanswerable at this time, other than to recommend that one should try native-voltage batteries on purely digital components if possible.

19733647013_232899f3e8_o by drjlo2, on Flickr

THE END
..to be continued.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #88 of 218
REVIEW: ALLO SHANTI LPS, BAKOON LI BATTERY SUPPLY

REASON

Power supply discussions seem to generate a lot of strong opinions, and since I just carried out some concentrated listening of various power supplies, I thought I would jot down my impressions, a lot of it for my own record, thus as succinct as possible.

SETTING

All power supplies mentioned are compared on Chord Qutest DAC and were all plugged into modified Liebert on-line, double-conversion power generator. To minimize variables and to maximize minute differences, all supplies were compared on the same rig comprising of Schiit Jotunheim R amplifier powering Raal SR1a ribbon headphones by the way of Norne Silvergarde S3 pure silver headphone cable.

ALLO SHANTI LINEAR POWER SUPPLY

0827201234 by drjlo2, on Flickr

The thing I like about Allo Shanti is that despite what is obviously of serious build quality, its price is in the computer/IT realm not in the audiophile uber price realm. It annoys me when certain audiophile companies pretend like they are selling solid bricks of gold, similar to how medical supply companies quadruple prices for "medical grade" power plugs, etc. The fact Shanti sports the latest audiophile perks like supercaps on output and provide two outputs (5V/3A, 5V/1A) is a bonus.

In direct comparison to Chord's stock SMPS (which actually sounds quite good) and Bakoon BPS-02 Lithium battery PS, Shanti differs by offering more density of texture and information. At first glance, I can see some people actually preferring the stock SMPS, which sounds "prettier." In photography/video terms, SMPS is akin to turning up brightness half click and turning down contrast half click. This creates smoother yet airier sound that can be more forgiving of poor recordings while still bringing life and sparkle to music.

Shanti actually seems to pull together the sonic pixels into more dense balls, so the performers are less diffusely large/forward. Those who prefer large, forward, diffuse images (like from Magnepan speakers) may like the SMPS presentation more, especially with certain recordings that need that treatment. This density carries into bass as well. I've seen others mention that certain heavy-duty LPS's, including some mentions of Shanti, produce much more bass than "puny" SMPS's, which may or may not be the case depending on system. On this system, what Shanti does is produce more dense, solid bass, which can give the impression of "more" bass due to noticing its presence more. This is not night-and-day difference at all, and I consider SMPS bass perfectly great.

The puny stock Chord SMPS plugged into Teslaplex AC outlets.

0827201137 by drjlo2, on Flickr

The main thing that may keep the Shanti around is its better retrieval of low-level details from mediocre recordings. With recent, high-quality recordings, the system sounds perfectly faultless with SMPS; it wants for nothing IMO. Mind you, this is only possible due to numerous refinements and optimizations over the years, i.e. just the right cabling, power treatment, adapters, server, software, etc, etc. If I listened to great recordings all day, I do not need to use the Shanti or Bakoon battery supply. However, with good-but-not-great recordings from say 1990's (good luck with 80's recordings), Shanti pulls in just that last few percent more detail resolution, so the decent recordings become more insightful and enjoyable. One can hear a bit deeper into singer's smacking lips or quick inhalation before belting out, just a small bit more of venue wall reflections and sound trails as trumpet notes fade.

THE BAD

At this price point, the only negative that bugs me is the attached DC cable. It is very thin and extremely long. I already know DC cables sound different by comparing and DIY'ing them, so at some point, I suspect I will mess with these. If better DC cables weren't possible due to target price, then Allo should have at least provided DC jacks instead of permanently attaching them IMHO.

WHAT ABOUT BATTERIES?

IME, garden-variety laptop 5V battery supplies do not sound great. Along with cheap, poorly-designed linear power supplies, these battery supplies tend to place a veil over the music while overly smoothing things out. I get best sound quality by using batteries at their native voltage, in which case, clarity and life is preserved. Unfortunately, one can't find native 5V Lithium batteries, so the next best thing is the Bakoon bps-02 Li battery supply (same unit here OEM JCAT).

ShantiBakoon by drjlo2, on Flickr

With a good Li battery supply like this, the entire presentation is different. Whether the difference is "better" or "preferable" is up to the individual's tastes and system synergy. The background really does become more "inky black" like many reviewers out there report. Textures and details become sexily pure and liquid while instrumental and vocal tone become rich, deep, wide. I mean, who wouldn't like THIS, one wonders. Many audiophiles can actually stop right here and not look back.

But since I am particularly particular, I have noted one tendency. Music is beautiful with noiseless background, but after long listening sessions, I do notice a sameness, a recognizable signature that slightly coats all genres. It's slight and it's a pleasant signature, but after a long session, I feel this signature lessens the excitement and anticipation of finding out what the next track would sound like, and a different artist next, etc.

Since I am not aware of native 5V batteries to compare to Bakoon, I cannot be sure if this tendency is due to the fact it still has internal voltage regulation or due to powering a device with both digital and analogue amplification circuitry. The times I can power a purely digital component with native battery, I do not hear this "sameness." For example, I am powering SOtM USB soundcard and USB-spdif converter with 18650 batteries, and there is no downside here. In past, using 12V native batteries to power other pure digital components also did not result in any downside, either. Oh, well, I suppose this question is unanswerable at this time, other than to recommend that one should try native-voltage batteries on purely digital components if possible.

19733647013_232899f3e8_o by drjlo2, on Flickr

THE END
..to be continued.
Very good review,dear friend!

What kind of music was it that you conducted the test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back