Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 2, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #4,741 of 6,775
I hope you'll enjoy it. Mine sits there between my amp and the Qutest:

MCRU.jpg

I replaced the power cable with a Supra one when I replaced all my power cables. So that's the grey one there.
Thank you dear friend!I see you play with CXC,too!

It was one of your comments that made me try this MCRU.

BTW how do you deal with the long DC cables of this psu?Did you leave them hanging down straight below your rack or did you round them up coiled near the devices?Any sonic impact on the second method?

May 2, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #4,742 of 6,775
@AC-12 thanks much for your advice above. I've already been in contact with the owner of Ciunas Audio and it's seeming pretty promising. He even says the current version has two outputs for more than one device. And by SCPSU, are they referreing to the Ciunas Audio ISO-PS?

No worries. Remember, it's just a suggestion and I'm usually off the beaten path in this hobby. So tread carefully. I don't follow the herd, but sometimes it's better to play if safe and follow the herd as others may have success in traditional LPS solutions. But the SC seems like a good balance of value, performance, flexibility and dynamism.

That's great if you can pick JK's brain if he can tell you his thoughts on SC vs LPS.

versus.png

With the statement above, I think I'm going to give up on the LiFePO4 idea to power the SC and just focus on the SC. SC has lower impedance and faster than the already awesome A123 LifePO4 batteries irrespective if they are mains or battery powered.

a123.png

iso-ps.png

I have to look into the dual voltage option. For the SC, it seems the new models are "isolated" so you have dual outputs with no voltage regulator. For the LiFePO4 power supply, only the single output is direct from the battery. The dual output has a voltage regulator. Will need to confirm this is not the case for the SC.

dual.png

Another issue I didn't consider was the USB power port of the Qutest. For the Mojo, I plan to convert to DC @ 7V so there's no bottleneck:

11195823.jpg

I think it's fine not a deal breaker if you get a decent HQ DC cable and have it terminated on one end with USB micro connector. These HQ DC cables should be at least rated 2.4A if not 3A from GhentAudio:

http://ghentaudio.com/part/list-dc.html

I don't think a standard USB cable terminated with DC will work well, so you my have to consider a HQ DC cable in this scenario.

I guess your right about a new dual voltage out soon:

new.png

link

Yes, same. SCPSU was used early 2019 during the tour. Once the product was official, it was labeled ISO-PS. There's ISO-PS Supercapacitor (new) and ISO-PS LiFEPO4 (old).

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #4,743 of 6,775
Yes although I've tried neither, I actually recommend you to the other hot LPS we've been talking about here, the ISO-PS from Ciunas Audio. I think @AC-12 could fill you on on the benefits of using a supercapacitor, and you can go over his recent posts about it on the last 2 pages here. And if possible AC 12... would you mind to dumb it down just a little? PLEASE?! I've a feeling you're deserting some of us here with the sophisticated tech lingo until we can't really understand what you're trying to say. I really appreciate your insights though, don't get me wrong! And I've been in touch with the owner of Ciunas Audio and he said tomorrow he'll update the webpage with new photos of the newer version which has dual outputs for two devices. Here's the site again:
https://www.ciunas.biz/product-page/copy-of-supercapacitor-power-supply-dual-voltage-outputs

I think he already made a purchase. He's already ahead of the game as I think he's a fellow Lifatec Glass Optician so he good.

May 3, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #4,744 of 6,775
Honestly I left them hanging and never cared about it. Should it make some difference?
If the cable forms a coil,theoretically this gives it extra inductance and it may negatively affect sonic quality.
I think he already made a purchase. He's already ahead of the game as I think he's a fellow Lifatec Glass Optician so he good.
Yes I did and I will inform you of the outcome.I decided to try the safer and more practical route...

And I am in the Lifatec Club,sir!Honest and worthwile upgrade!:beerchug:

May 4, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #4,745 of 6,775
And I am in the Lifatec Club,sir!Honest and worthwile upgrade!:beerchug:

I use between the CXC and Qutest a QED Reference Quartz but I am curious about the Lifatec. The only problem was that they are sold only from US and I was to lazy to order overseas.

May 4, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #4,746 of 6,775
I use between the CXC and Qutest a QED Reference Quartz but I am curious about the Lifatec. The only problem was that they are sold only from US and I was to lazy to order overseas.
I ordered mine via a distant relative in US and I got rid of local customs...

About the PSU;do you leave it on 24/7 like the stock one?Powering the Qutest?

May 4, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #4,748 of 6,775

I am in the UK and have the acclaimed Sysconcept from Canada, great supporting 24/192 and cheaper than Lifatec but not glass. I will try the QED glass you have though soon as think based on Hi-fi World reviews and measurement / spec that may be among the best performance to value ratio for us in the EU at least... Will report when I had a chance to compare but the difference will probably be quite small.

Edit: Supra ZAC Optical Cable apparently supports 32/384 so may try that to see if I can get higher sampling rates 😎

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #4,749 of 6,775
I am in the UK and have the acclaimed Sysconcept from Canada, great supporting 24/192 and cheaper than Lifatec but not glass. I will try the QED glass you have though soon as think based on Hi-fi World reviews and measurement / spec that may be among the best performance to value ratio for us in the EU at least... Will report when I had a chance to compare but the difference will probably be quite small.

Edit: Supra ZAC Optical Cable apparently supports 32/384 so may try that to see if I can get higher sampling rates 😎

Must be fun playing with high-end Glass cables. A technological step up, and the high end cables are dirt cheap compared to other type cables. I think Im going to end up in this game in the future.

May 5, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #4,750 of 6,775

My experience with optical cables is that they either work or they don't. There is no degree of good and bad in between. This is for 24/192. The limitation with glass, won't be the cable, but the transmitter and receiver at either end of it. I doubt you will have success at anything higher than 24/192, but good luck...

May 5, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #4,752 of 6,775
Honestly a few minutes ago I switched my QED Reference Quartz with a generic cable I just found at home for comparison and the difference was night and day. Same components, same player, same track (FLAC 16 bit 441.KHz) so what to say. :)
I don't think "night and day" was what you wanted to say:beyersmile: I can understand that there are differences to be heard with USB an coax cables of various qualities as shielding from RF noise is a big issue, but optical should be immune from this. What were the differences you heard and what do you think is the cause?

May 5, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #4,753 of 6,775
You are right, I added a little bit of "theatrical exageration" but I would say there was a 20% difference in details, extension on high frequencies (the cheap cable was sounding "muffled") and dynamics. The overall clarity was worse, like for example grainier and the bass was not so punchy and clean. I am not trying to convince anyone, not even myself, I own both cables, just sayin'...

May 5, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #4,754 of 6,775
You are right, I added a little bit of "theatrical exageration" but I would say there was a 20% difference in details, extension on high frequencies (the cheap cable was sounding "muffled") and dynamics. The overall clarity was worse, like for example grainier and the bass was not so punchy and clean. I am not trying to convince anyone, not even myself, I own both cables, just sayin'...
Yes, I thought my description of either it works or it doesn't was more akin to night and day, especially in the optical sense:beyersmile:
I'm not doubting your experience, but I have not heard a similar thing widely stated with optical and I am fully aware that placebo is a very powerful effect. Clearly you will be keeping the QEDs connected in future and be very happy that you did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back