Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Apr 16, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #3,571 of 6,743
I reckon for my case with the audioquest signature, I was able to easily differentiate the difference. But then again, it could also be a case that any rca might have done the same job, but I’m not the position the affirm that as I don’t any other rca at the moment.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #3,572 of 6,743
The topic of cabling is very polarizing. Personally I buy the cable argument as I have had the opportunity to try a few of Chris' Black Cat cables and clearly hear the differences in my own setup
Ultimately I would say buy whatever you can afford or am comfortable with, be it $5 or $5000 cables
So long you are happy with your purchases, that is all that matters

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #3,573 of 6,743
The Asian market when I was in the high end audio biz was a big market for expensive cables.

When a customer buys, for example, a $200,000 sound system, they clearly have the means to afford exotic cables. Components in this price category have the resolving power to reveal the subtle and not so subtle results, and although these differences for the price seem outrageous to most audio enthusiasts, to the well off spenders, it’s worth it because their system sounds better and the pride of ownership is increased.
We were talking about $30-60.000 cables. That's way too much even for a $200.000 system. I do believe cables bring subtle differences, but IMO they shouldn't worth more than 10% of all your system. $60.000 cables also bring up ethical questions in my eyes.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #3,574 of 6,743
We were talking about $30-60.000 cables. That's way too much even for a $200.000 system. I do believe cables bring subtle differences, but IMO they shouldn't worth more than 10% of all your system. $60.000 cables also bring up ethical questions in my eyes.

Some people spend up to £1m on their audio systems. I heard about one guy who spent that and then never even switched it on, it was just a status thing. More money than sense? maybe but for him £1m probably doesn't even make a dent in his bank account and if rich people spend their money then at least it keeps it in circulation and helps economies instead of just leaving it in the bank.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #3,575 of 6,743

I have a friend who is on full loom Nordost Odin 2 cables. Value and price notwithstanding, we were stunned by the improvement from just a pair of RCA cables. It was truly a jaw meet floor moment
Also, the question of ethics is really debatable since it's a simple matter of economics; if there's demand there will be supply in the market.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #3,576 of 6,743
I have a friend who is on full loom Nordost Odin 2 cables. Value and price notwithstanding, we were stunned by the improvement from just a pair of RCA cables. It was truly a jaw meet floor moment
Also, the question of ethics is really debatable since it's a simple matter of economics; if there's demand there will be supply in the market.
So,should we upgrade cables instead of buying better equipment?

What more has a very expensive interconnect offer than Belden's 1694A?

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #3,577 of 6,743
So,should we upgrade cables instead of buying better equipment?

What more has a very expensive interconnect offer than Belden's 1694A?

You say that without knowing the equipment he is on so perhaps you're missing the point entirely?
Anyway I've learnt from my years in the hobby that everything matters in the audio chain; from equipment to power to cabling to accessories
So these days I keep an open mind to everyrhing

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #3,578 of 6,743
Speaking of cables and USB cables in particular, I wonder if anyone using a PC as a source tried to use a PCI-ex USB3.0 card instead of a normal USB3.0 port on the motherboard to connect the Qutest. I mean, all try to filter and reclock using different devices, but it would be good to know if a dedicated USB card makes a difference.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #3,580 of 6,743
Speaking of cables and USB cables in particular, I wonder if anyone using a PC as a source tried to use a PCI-ex USB3.0 card instead of a normal USB3.0 port on the motherboard to connect the Qutest. I mean, all try to filter and reclock using different devices, but it would be good to know if a dedicated USB card makes a difference.
I don't have the Qutest, I have the new (excellent) RME ADI-2 DAC, but as you I also play directly from computer. In my case and with my DAC I found toslink to be the best option (I use a Lifatec toslink cable), and since Chord DACs also have excellent jitter suppression I would guess its the same for you.

Yes, you lose out on some higher sample rates, but its not like those matters much. 192Khz and DSD64 (DoP) is enough for me at least, and toslink gives 100% galvanic isolation from the electronic chaos that is a typical desktop computer.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #3,581 of 6,743
I don't have the Qutest, I have the new (excellent) RME ADI-2 DAC, but as you I also play directly from computer. In my case and with my DAC I found toslink to be the best option (I use a Lifatec toslink cable), and since Chord DACs also have excellent jitter suppression I would guess its the same for you.

Yes, you lose out on some higher sample rates, but its not like those matters much. 192Khz and DSD64 (DoP) is enough for me at least, and toslink gives 100% galvanic isolation from the electronic chaos that is a typical desktop computer.

Unfortunately on TOSLINK I have a Cambridge Audio CXC and I do not want to remove it.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #3,583 of 6,743
Roon/Qobuz (Mac mini) -> optical cable -> Qutest DAC -> Wells Milo amp -> Lazuli Reference cable -> HEKse + Hans Zimmer (hi-res) = Audio Nirvana!!!

0E312C64-1546-42C7-8556-1DE777F4423A.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back