Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #2,311 of 6,746
I hope I didn't sound patronising, by rattling on about why the earlier Chord DACs cut half a second. .. I think I was just in auto-pilot mode.

\------------

Anyway I found this on the Moon Audio review of the Qutest, about PSUs with Qutest.

Much like the 2Qute, we don't recommend spending money on an external linear power supply. We found no improvements with the 2Qute and since the Qutest now uses a USB Micro B style input for power we don't see many options available for or improvements from adding external linear power. We do recommend using Chord's supplied "wall wart" which needs 5v and at least 2.1amps. Moon Audio sells extra USB Power supplies if you need a second for another location.

https://www.moon-audio.com/blog/chord-qutest-review/

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #2,313 of 6,746
Oct 29, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #2,314 of 6,746
Yes, that’s correct. See below...
i just purchased the qutest to use with my woo audio wa6se and audeze lcd3 and have been reading that this dac is not really for headphone use
what the hell man i wish i read these pages earlier i had no clue .
is it really that bad with headphones?. what now i have to sell it .

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,315 of 6,746
i just purchased the qutest to use with my woo audio wa6se and audeze lcd3 and have been reading that this dac is not really for headphone use
is it really that bad with headphones?.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #2,316 of 6,746
is it really that bad with headphones?.

Quite the opposite, you have a stellar amp and headphones so it will sound top notch with your setup.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,318 of 6,746
rob watts said himself that is was designed for speakers primarily and you lose transparency i was gutted when i read that i only purchased it yesterday lol
so you think it will be ok .

I just reviewed it using headphones and a class A solid state amp and a SET Auris amp and its perfect for me. Certainly better than a few other DAC's I have tried.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,319 of 6,746
I just reviewed it using headphones and a class A solid state amp and a SET Auris amp and its perfect for me. Certainly better than a few other DAC's I have tried.
thats put my mind at ease a little but i cant help thinking that i could of put my money elsewere on another dac like the schiit bifrost or something but il check it out and compare it to the schiit bifrost.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,320 of 6,746
is it really that bad with headphones?. what now i have to sell it .

No, you don’t have to sell it. Of course the Qutest will work fine if you want to use your headphone amp. The context seems to have been lost in my quote you referenced.

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #2,321 of 6,746
No, you don’t have to sell it. Of course the Qutest will work fine if you want to use your headphone amp. The context seems to have been lost in my quote you referenced.

i like the qutest with my hifiman he1000 v2 and ifi ican pro, but would like to know the context in how it was mentioned

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,322 of 6,746
i like the qutest with my hifiman he1000 v2 and ifi ican pro, but would like to know the context in how it was mentioned

Rob is a fan of transparency and his own work therefore he recommends the Hugo2 over the Qutest+amp for driving headphones. That doesn’t mean the Qutest will be terrible with headphones through a seperate amp depending on an individual’s tastes or preference for an external headphone amp, as @Nicholasheadfi2 concluded in his post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back