Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 2, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #21,691 of 22,467
I thought for a moment 2go uses different connection and mode on the Hugo as well, my bad. Anyway 2go will still be a better digital source than regular phone, iPad, computer you would plug through usb to hugo2. Considering jitter for example. Hugo’s usb doesn’t even have the galvanic isolation that qutest has. It is pretty uniformly recommended to use the coax or optical input on the Hugo, or the 2go (which I have no experience with unfortunately).

Jan 2, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #21,692 of 22,467
I thought for a moment 2go uses different connection and mode on the Hugo as well, my bad. Anyway 2go will still be a better digital source than regular phone, iPad, computer you would plug through usb to hugo2.
How do you figure?
Considering jitter for example. Hugo’s usb doesn’t even have the galvanic isolation that qutest has.
Jitter and galvanic isolation are not related.
A mobile device connected to a mobile phone does not require isolation, if it did, Chord or Mr. Watts would have included one.

It is pretty uniformly recommended to use the coax or optical input on the Hugo, or the 2go (which I have no experience with unfortunately).
There is such a thing called "ground loop noise" that can affect the Hugo2 . I am not going to go deep into that, suffice to say it exists.
Two ways to guard against that:
- connect Hugo2 using non-electrical method, I.e. optical.
- connect a DAP that runs on batteries, I.e. no ground connection to anything but the DAC.
On the second option, 2go would work, since it is connected to no ground wire but Hugo2 , AND, a mobile phone would be just as effective.
Provided you don't strap a transmitting phone to DAC, because that could cause EMI, which is a different thing.
Just keep the phone away from the DAC (any DAC) a good few inches and you are good.

Jan 3, 2023 at 7:29 AM Post #21,693 of 22,467
I have the Hugo 2 / 2Go. In Australia, one retailer was offering the 2Go free with the Hugo 2 if that's any indication.

It is ridiculously overpriced. Has only 2.4Ghz wifi. And a pain to set-up if it doesn't work with your network. I had to find an android device and limit my wi-fi channels just to get it to recognise the 2Go and run the initial. It took an hour. The app is laggy. Software or Firmware has never been Chord's strength.

When it does work it has been flawless. ROON finds it in an instant. But if you're using a DAP directly into the Hugo2 and don't need a wireless lossless connection, it's not good value for money.

Whilst I miss the TT2 a little bit, the Hugo2 portability wins me over. It is my preferred option for easy to drive headphones around the house. Whilst the DAC isn't outdated and very well respected, the micro-USB and device as a whole is.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #21,695 of 22,467
If only Chord could add Roon ARC functionality to the 2Go it would be really awesome, Roon access on the go, that would be a really excellent feature.

A smartphone could be used as a controller and the 2Go could be the mobile audio zone.

Sadly it ain't going to happen.
Perhaps because it would be dependent on mobile internet availability and your contract allowances, not to mention a sim card holder, transmitter, reciever and all that EMI that goes with it.
A high def streaming service does same job, using the aforementioned mobile phone.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #21,696 of 22,467
The postie just delivered my PW Audio adaptor, can't say it sounds better than what I had before. I had 6.3mm to 3.5mm -> 3.5mm to 4.4mm -> HD650. This does look a lot neater though so I'm happy.

IMG20230104140529.jpg

Jan 4, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #21,697 of 22,467
The postie just delivered my PW Audio adaptor, can't say it sounds better than what I had before. I had 6.3mm to 3.5mm
Should achieve nothing, they are parallel wired.
-> 3.5mm to 4.4mm
Again should be exactly the same as using a non balanced cable and jack.
Hugo2 is SE only, so two of the balanced wires are shorted out by adaptor.
-> HD650. This does look a lot neater though so I'm happy.
I say the neatest would be using a non balanced cable, connected direct to Hugo2 .
All those extra adaptors, at best do nothing, at worst degrade!
Hugo2 is already on the large side, why add bulk?
Sorry if my reply is negative, but it is true.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #21,698 of 22,467
If only Chord could add Roon ARC functionality to the 2Go it would be really awesome, Roon access on the go, that would be a really excellent feature.

A smartphone could be used as a controller and the 2Go could be the mobile audio zone.

Sadly it ain't going to happen.
Works through Airplay at the moment and sounds pretty great for on the go use.

Tried it with my Mojo 2 and Poly.

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #21,700 of 22,467
Hugo2 is SE only, so two of the balanced wires are shorted out by adaptor
Sorry, but no. I have used the tester to check it out — there is no any short between two rca ground contacts. There is no short in Hugo, and there is no in adapter.

All those extra adaptors, at best do nothing, at worst degrade!
They give the ability to use the 4.4 pentaconn-terminated high-end and great sounding cables like "PWaudio 1950s 4wire with shielding" and many others.
Any other adapters I used — works clearly worse
But I have an 1960s edition of this PWaudio adapter

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #21,701 of 22,467
There is such a thing called "ground loop noise"
Yes, there is. And it is differ depending on what device you're connecting to Hugo 2:
Regular PC is the best noise-generator even with the Jcat USB XE it can't be compared to UltraRendu + Farad 7v LPS
Smartphones are noisy too, but less then regular PC..

2go should be somewhere close to great DAPs, but not shure it will sing better than TOTL DAPs.. It is very interesting to compare..

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #21,702 of 22,467
only to eliminate a small usb cable!
Only to eliminate a smartphone "ground loop" noise wich is way stronger then 2go's noise

I have personnaly compared directly my Galaxy Note 10+ UAPP vs Hiby rs6 with the same labcable usb $200 jumper.

And Galaxy have no chance at all. Hiby rs6 plays Hugo 2 way way better...

So why should somebody think the 2go will not play better than regular smartphone?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #21,703 of 22,467
Only to eliminate a smartphone "ground loop" noise wich is way stronger then 2go's noise
Do a little research, and discover for yourself, if a smartphone can have ground loop noise.
Just as 2go can not suffer from it, neither can a smartphone.
Remember, the 2go has a powerful 2.4GHz wifi transmitter, yet the USB output remains clean.
They are both battery powered,
A phone can induce EMI (electro magnetic interference) if it is in close proximity to a DAC, hence, don't strap one to your DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #21,704 of 22,467
Got my Hugo 2 and 2Go today and spent a grand total of 5 minutes being excited. The units won't connect securely.

To Chord's credit, I am getting two new units early next week. Also got a Mojo 2 case chucked in on top!

Attachments

• 48B1BCFF-7CC8-4B36-9B1A-A4B21FEFB25F.jpeg
    48B1BCFF-7CC8-4B36-9B1A-A4B21FEFB25F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #21,705 of 22,467
Got my Hugo 2 and 2Go today and spent a grand total of 5 minutes being excited. The units won't connect securely.

To Chord's credit, I am getting two new units early next week.
Well, that would be a bummer. I liked the clever way they use those set screws to hold the deal together -- made the system physically seamless (ish) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back