Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #21,676 of 22,500
After all this years finally I bought Hugo 2 + 2go because I want to have a transportable headphone setup with Utopia 2022, and I love it, great pairing!

I have some questions though, is it safe to turn off Hugo 2 while the headphone jack is plugged in? Because I can hear soft "pop" every time I turn off Hugo 2 with headphones still plugged in. Can it damage the headphone if I keep doing this?

Jan 1, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #21,677 of 22,500
After all this years finally I bought Hugo 2 + 2go because I want to have a transportable headphone setup with Utopia 2022, and I love it, great pairing!

I have some questions though, is it safe to turn off Hugo 2 while the headphone jack is plugged in? Because I can hear soft "pop" every time I turn off Hugo 2 with headphones still plugged in. Can it damage the headphone if I keep doing this?
Yes you can, and no it won't damage your headphones.
There is a small relay inside that causes the pop.

Jan 1, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #21,678 of 22,500

It's probably fine, but the steps I always take in unplugging from any source, just in case, is lowering the volume, unplugging, then turning off the device.

Jan 2, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #21,679 of 22,500
100% wired is better and you will hear the difference easily

Shure, you will notice it immediately. Even on BT Hugo 2 sounds way better than Mojo

Of course yes, but be aware of a great pair of rca interconnects to save the SQ..
Thank you!!

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #21,680 of 22,500
Yes you can, and no it won't damage your headphones.
There is a small relay inside that causes the pop.
The pop sound is coming from headphone not from Hugo 2. You can hear a click sound from Hugo 2 when it turn on or off.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #21,681 of 22,500
1) Can I connect via Bluetooth from the Solitaire Ts to the Hugo 2 or do I need a wired connection
I don't feel this question has been properly answered.

The answer is no.

Hugo 2 is a DAC. It has no digital outputs. A Bluetooth output would bypass the DAC thereby make Hugo 2 pointless. A wired connection is the only option here.

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #21,682 of 22,500
I never had the 2Go.
For headphone use, I see no point in such a thing.
Why? because as long as there is the headphone cable, one can not go totally wireless! so one more thin USB cable is not going to be a deal breaker.
For Desktop use, there is a big point to having a streamer such as 2Go!
You can stream to it wirelessly and not worry about possible ground noise, as opposed to using any electrical connection to a computer.
But recently I have discovered Wiim mini.
A cheap, small size DLNA stream end point, with optical out. There are other devices too.
Now I can stream to it and to any DAC, wirelessly in bit-perfect mode.
So again, I see no point in 2Go.
BTW the Wiim was £75 from Amazon, after a few hours of learning curve, I can stream to it direct from my Android phone, using DSP or not.
Also from my laptop, DSP or not.
Final sound is flawless.
£75!
As crazy as it sounds some people like to use the Hugo2 when walking out and about or whatever, the clue is in the name 2"Go". Throw the combo in a backpack, connect to phone hotspot and headphones and go.

I have taken mine walking a few times, I also own the Wiim mini and that would be a very tricky device use when walking.

Jan 2, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #21,683 of 22,500
As crazy as it sounds some people like to use the Hugo2 when walking out and about or whatever, the clue is in the name 2"Go". Throw the combo in a backpack, connect to phone hotspot and headphones and go.

I have taken mine walking a few times, I also own the Wiim mini and that would be a very tricky device use when walking.
It doesn't sound crazy at all, I do it myself.
But what does 2go bring to the table?
let's see:
- I still need my phone, my Hugo2 , my headphones and my headphone cable, right?
- I could get a three foot long thin and flexible usb cable, leave the Hugo2 in the back pack, and hook up phone to it....
OR
- spend a few hundred extra pounds, carry an additional rechargeable device, do with extra bulk, setup of 2go , only to eliminate a small usb cable!
I vote for the cable!
IMG_20221223_224417~3.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #21,684 of 22,500
It doesn't sound crazy at all, I do it myself.
But what does 2go bring to the table?
let's see:
- I still need my phone, my Hugo2 , my headphones and my headphone cable, right?
- I could get a three foot long thin and flexible usb cable, leave the Hugo2 in the back pack, and hook up phone to it....
OR
- spend a few hundred extra pounds, carry an additional rechargeable device, do with extra bulk, setup of 2go , only to eliminate a small usb cable!
I vote for the cable!
IMG_20221223_224417~3.jpg
I mean in terms of using usb, the 2go is better sonically. Hugo’s coax and optical inputs are better, which in this case I reckon if 2go brings anything more to the table in terms of sq

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #21,685 of 22,500
I mean in terms of using usb, the 2go is better sonically. Hugo’s coax and optical inputs are better, which in this case I reckon if 2go brings anything more to the table in terms of sq
Sonically, I'm not so sure and I wouldn't notice the difference when walking anyway. @kajetanjazz whenever I use a cable of any kind it always finds a way to disconnect at random, causing me to have to root around and reconnect usually at the most awkward moment.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #21,686 of 22,500
Sure.

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #21,687 of 22,500
Remind me, how does 2go connect to Hugo2 ?
is it optical or coax?
I don't have one, so I don't know!
😜

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #21,688 of 22,500
Jan 2, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #21,689 of 22,500
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back