Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 24, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #21,661 of 22,500
Why Cayin C9 not in your amp collection any more , you had posted lot of appreciation as I remember
It's true, I did. It's a great amp, really good. Especially when run in preamp mode. I would only say, for SS performance, the Mass Kobo outclasses it in terms of precision whereas the Phatlab (or WA8) offers a richer tube sound. But for convenience, the C9 is unbeatable. I'd still recommend it for its synergy with Hugo 2.

Dec 24, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #21,662 of 22,500
It's true, I did. It's a great amp, really good. Especially when run in preamp mode. I would only say, for SS performance, the Mass Kobo outclasses it in terms of precision whereas the Phatlab (or WA8) offers a richer tube sound. But for convenience, the C9 is unbeatable. I'd still recommend it for its synergy with Hugo 2.
I am interested in the KOBO 428, where did you buy it?

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #21,664 of 22,500
I have a short Chord Hugo2. I'm listening through Focal Utopia 2022 headphones. If the Hugo is turned off and powered, the headphones hum. After switching on, the hum disappears. I don't know what the problem is, grounding or something else? Thanks to the more experienced.

Dec 28, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #21,665 of 22,500
Hello everyone,

A long time (17 years member) & old non technical Head-fi lurker here - nice to meet you all!

I’ve followed these threads intensely over the past few weeks and pulled the trigger on a pair of solitaire Ts which should arrive in the next week or so. My APM were just hurting my head with their clamping pressure.

Simultaneously…., after saving up some money, I also decided to upgrade my DAC from a Chord Mojo -> Hugo 2.

I’m also deliberating whether to invest in a chord 2go if it can work with my systems.

FYI…here are my setups:

Office - I’m in the apple ecosystem (2022 M1 MBP) and am looking for the Ts to take work MS Teams video meetings, calls from my IPhone 14 ProMax and of course switch to music listening in the downtime. I would use the Hugo 2 with either a direct usb connection into my MBP / Iphone 14 or…AirPlay to the 2go if I end up buying it. Would like to use a combo of the solitaire T & my old noble Prestige K10s. Ideally, I’d like to carry this setup from the office to another room in the house without much unplugging….

On the go (plane and walking the dog primarily) have my chord mojo and deliberating whether to keep this for traveling or use the Hugo2. Will use exclusively with the solitaire Ts. For the dog walks, I’ll probably just connect the Ts directly to my phone.

Home system - Hegel H360 integrated amplifier connected to a pair of Morel Soprans. TV, Apple TV & Xbox connected to the Hegel. For music, I usually just AirPlay from tidal / Apple Music to the Hegel.

Of course, having not thought everything through…I’m starting to get worried around a couple of areas and have have some really basic questions that I was hoping to get some help with and I’d love to get some advice….I’m posting this on the chord hugo/2go thread and the Solitaire T thread.

Here we go…..

1) Can I connect via Bluetooth from the Solitaire Ts to the Hugo 2 or do I need a wired connection to ensure a better SQ? I’m thinking about either a direct USB connection from the Hugo2 to my MBP / iPhone 14 ProMax or…..Investing in a Chord 2go that can wirelessly stream from my apple device via airplay.

2) Dumb question (I think I know the answer) ….if I’m on a plane or traveling with BT only, will I notice a distinct difference in SQ if I don’t use the Hugo2 (No Dac) or stick with the mojo? Just thinking about how much to carry…

3) More for the Hugo2/2go thread….can I use my Hugo 2 as a pre-amp connected to my Hegel H360? The rationale is that the Hegel doesn’t have a headphone jack and I really want to hear what music sounds like with that setup. I’d then either connect directly (with the Solitaires or the nobles) to the hugo2 or use the 2go to then (hopefully) stream to my solitaire Ts.

Bottom line - My ‘ideal’ wireless setup would be iPhone / MBP airplay -> Hugo / 2go -> Bluetooth to Solitaire Ts.

I just don’t know if it will work and how good it will sound.

I hope I haven’t made a big mistake in dropping $2900 on the Hugo or $1600 on the Ts…. 😢

Would really appreciate someone helping an old guy out - There’s just too many variables for me to understand and keep on top of.

Thank you!! 🙏

Stinky

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #21,666 of 22,500
or do I need a wired connection to ensure a better SQ?
100% wired is better and you will hear the difference easily

traveling with BT only, will I notice a distinct difference in SQ if I don’t use the Hugo2
Shure, you will notice it immediately. Even on BT Hugo 2 sounds way better than Mojo

can I use my Hugo 2 as a pre-amp connected to my Hegel H360?
Of course yes, but be aware of a great pair of rca interconnects to save the SQ..

Jan 1, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #21,667 of 22,500
I have a short Chord Hugo2. I'm listening through Focal Utopia 2022 headphones. If the Hugo is turned off and powered, the headphones hum. After switching on, the hum disappears. I don't know what the problem is, grounding or something else? Thanks to the more experienced.
Only happening when P/S is plugged into wall? Mains hum?

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #21,668 of 22,500
Is chord 2go worth it? Over using a coax in from a dap? Sonically

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #21,669 of 22,500
I find it hard to validate the price. Poly is still fine but with that price tag. I would expect Roon core capabilities. (Quite the ask of course, but for me is just like a Poly with an ethernet jack.

I don’t own it, just Poly. So, maybe I'm not the best at the matter

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #21,670 of 22,500

I find it hard to validate the price. Poly is still fine but with that price tag. I would even Roon core capabilities. (Quite the ask of course, but for me is just like a Poly with an ethernet jack.

I don’t own it, just Poly. So, maybe Im not the best in the matter
Just noticed that I didn't even answer your question. Again, I might be corrected over this, but, the short answer is... I doubt it. I've tried some daps and I get basically the same sound quality as with Poly on my Mojo and sounds really good with my Hugo2.

-EDIT-
What you cannot beat with either Poly or 2Go is synergy in looks and fit. So, if that's something that concerns you as well... I think that's a big upside for 2Go.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #21,671 of 22,500
Something that I think has been wished for Hugo2 or Mojo/2 is a downsized m-scaler nested in a 2Go/Poly. That would be truly amazing. Who knows what may come in the future...

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #21,672 of 22,500
What you cannot beat with either Poly or 2Go is synergy in looks and fit.
Yeah, that doesn’t concern me at all. I’m just wondering if I would get better sound quality with 2go than with a coax input from a dap:)

And agree 100%. Mini mscaler for the Hugo would be great and I wouldn’t hesitate to get it as it is the case with the 2go:)

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #21,673 of 22,500
Sonically, no. Convenience, maybe. There's no getting around that it's way overpriced.

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #21,674 of 22,500
I wrote this PM to another user:

I used mine (my 2Go) to listen to Qobuz and also to local music stored on microSD cards and audio stored on network drives.

Finally preferred usability of digital out from DAPs to H2 versus screwing around with creating .mpd playlists or GoFigure and sold my 2Go.

FiiO M15 ==> H2 (via coax)
Cowon Plenue II ==> H2 (via optical)

I heard no sonic degradation either way.

Worth the money? Only you can answer.

Jan 1, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #21,675 of 22,500
I wrote this PM to another user:

I used mine (my 2Go) to listen to Qobuz and also to local music stored on microSD cards and audio stored on network drives.

Finally preferred usability of digital out from DAPs to H2 versus screwing around with creating .mpd playlists or GoFigure and sold my 2Go.

FiiO M15 ==> H2 (via coax)
Cowon Plenue II ==> H2 (via optical)

I heard no sonic degradation either way.

Worth the money? Only you can answer.
I never had the 2Go.
For headphone use, I see no point in such a thing.
Why? because as long as there is the headphone cable, one can not go totally wireless! so one more thin USB cable is not going to be a deal breaker.
For Desktop use, there is a big point to having a streamer such as 2Go!
You can stream to it wirelessly and not worry about possible ground noise, as opposed to using any electrical connection to a computer.
But recently I have discovered Wiim mini.
A cheap, small size DLNA stream end point, with optical out. There are other devices too.
Now I can stream to it and to any DAC, wirelessly in bit-perfect mode.
So again, I see no point in 2Go.
BTW the Wiim was £75 from Amazon, after a few hours of learning curve, I can stream to it direct from my Android phone, using DSP or not.
Also from my laptop, DSP or not.
Final sound is flawless.
£75!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back