Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 20, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #20,611 of 22,475
Listening to Anna Nalick's album The Blackest Crow in 192 khz, Aeon 2 Closed, Hugo 2, level one red crossfeed, with a battery powered optical source, significantly inebriated. These are very very uncommonly good covers. Most covers suck compared to this. It really sounds like real life, not in any way exaggerated or stylized hyped, or lacking. I believe the Hugo 2 is not even displaying it's full potential with this "humble" 900 dollar headphone, I'm anticipating the Stealth will be a whole nother level when I upgrade to it. But even with the Aeon 2, there is clearly some magic happening here. The crossfeed settings are so essential, since it increases the bass. I can easily identify good, medium and bad recordings, it's obvious with such a neutral, realistic headphone rig. My impression of Hugo 2 in general is: convincing. I have been convinced.

Dec 21, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #20,612 of 22,475
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #20,613 of 22,475
I've just learnt to work-around the playlists "feature", anyone who says they are using playlists is probably just making it up in my opinion. I do use 2Go on the Go but for me its BubbleUPnP. If it wasn't for Bubble then I think my 2Go would be a £1000 paperweight.
In critical listening, I use 2Go with playlist in airplane mode only as it gives the best SQ. Playlist is not difficult to create, but it is time consuming if they are created manually. I have created >500 playlist using my own script.

I agree that GoFigure has lots of bugs. E.g. GoFigure fails to reload an edited playlist. Everytime an existing playlist is edited, the DB/cache files needs to be deleted, and the whole database need to be reindexed for GoFigure to recognize (Only happened with 2Go. Poly doesn't have this issue).

So far, I am happy with using playlists. It fits my needs, and has no problem displaying special characters and foregin languages.
IMG_20211220_172511.jpg
IMG_20211220_172537.jpg

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #20,614 of 22,475
Exact amp path I was on, Fa-10 way fuller and more organic than 887..had wanted to hook Hogo2 into Fa-10 but it's gone..just to flesh it out more for harder to drive cans. It sits sonically between a class A SS amp and high grade tube sound IMO.

Anyone get the Fidelizer higher grade caps and balanced output upgrade done ?

"<< Chord Hugo / Hugo 2

Reference – The reason why Chord Hugo sounds harsh and unforgiving was due to stock capacitors implemented for best specifications in budget. Upgrading capacitors will resolve this harshness and improve musicality a lot.

Signature – Chord Hugo use dual mono battery design so tapping battery to Hugo circuit board directly will require amount of work. I also replaced additional headphone jack with 2.5 termination using best silver-plated contacts.

-Upgrade tantalum capacitor with highend grade ones fixing harshness sound signature
-Upgrade aluminum capacitor for charging and output stage for solid sound performance
-Modify battery module to use direct connection with high purity copper wiring for full sound dynamics
-Replace additional output jack for 2.5 termination with silver-plated contact for balanced ground topology design.>>"

Subjective sound comments by fidezlizer I think were based on first model hugo, not 2..anway been interested in this for H2 to see what it does for it.

Edit : Answer found deeper in the thread on Fidelizer mods and if it is wise/necessary to do it...designer just so happens to know best and probably the original hugo might have benefitted from those mods but H2 - more than fine as is..."Leave great alone - don't tamper with what you do not truly understand"

He's correct that a lot of issues in original Hugo especially harshness was resolved in Hugo2. If you enjoy current Hugo2 sounds, modding isn't really in needed as much as previous Hugo with obvious flaws that modding can resolve it on top of further improvements.

Hugo2 can get further improvements with quality parts upgrade/tuning but it's not as impactful as Hugo where modding can fix sound signature problems too. As any product owner would feel about their products being modified by 3rd-party, it's understandable for them to feel frustrated in having 3rd-party vendor tampering their products.

Well, modding is one of possible solution for people who want to fix flaws and enjoy their devices better with quality mod that won't lose original charm. Even a modder myself wouldn't go out of my way to recommend people to mod their products if they're fine with current performance.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Dec 23, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #20,615 of 22,475
He's correct that a lot of issues in original Hugo especially harshness was resolved in Hugo2. If you enjoy current Hugo2 sounds, modding isn't really in needed as much as previous Hugo with obvious flaws that modding can resolve it on top of further improvements.

Hugo2 can get further improvements with quality parts upgrade/tuning but it's not as impactful as Hugo where modding can fix sound signature problems too. As any product owner would feel about their products being modified by 3rd-party, it's understandable for them to feel frustrated in having 3rd-party vendor tampering their products.

Well, modding is one of possible solution for people who want to fix flaws and enjoy their devices better with quality mod that won't lose original charm. Even a modder myself wouldn't go out of my way to recommend people to mod their products if they're fine with current performance.

Regards,
Keetakawee
I was not quoting anyone directly in above post. I was just personally looking at modding my H2 at the time and just left it finally...
Your DX amp card 8 mods are fantastic BTW.

Dec 23, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #20,616 of 22,475
Those just speculations on Mojo 2
But folks here are looking forward for Hugo 3)
Maybe, The Chord will run Mojo 2 AND Hugo 3 same day)
Bored by everyone’s predictable uninnovative speculation for January’s release. If there’s one thing you have to remember about Chord, if they create a bit of fanfare it has to be for something extraordinary. This is going to be different and defy speculation. (I’m old enough to remember the original releases of Hugo & Mojo). That said I’m going to indulge myself anyway. I know it’s a bit of curved ball but how about a completely new 2go? (let’s face it, the existing unit is less than stellar). But this time one that actually works well. And (this is the thing) - a built in super upscaler, something that knocks all these aftermarket upscaling devices into a cocked hat, and possibly Dave (let’s face it, it’s getting old now) and M upscaler (generally unloved) as well. Now who wouldn’t like one of those? Form an orderly queue behind me.

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #20,617 of 22,475
there will in time be a new m-scaler but dave as the body will remain for some time

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #20,619 of 22,475
Well I’m sure they’ll have to keep Dave’s product position for a while, but it won’t last forever. But there is definitely a hole in the market for a portable upscaler, rather than the rigidity of having to go desktop every time, I for one don’t want to be tied to a desk anything (apart from a bit of fun with the wife). So a re release of 2go incorporating an upscaler would make a lot of sense. People could hang onto their H2s for a whole lot longer and feel happy to upgrade via a dual purpose streamer. Only problem is of course that it’s liable to cost nearly as much as H3 would anyway, but that’s life I suppose.

Dec 24, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #20,620 of 22,475
Bored by everyone’s predictable uninnovative speculation for January’s release. If there’s one thing you have to remember about Chord, if they create a bit of fanfare it has to be for something extraordinary. This is going to be different and defy speculation. (I’m old enough to remember the original releases of Hugo & Mojo). That said I’m going to indulge myself anyway. I know it’s a bit of curved ball but how about a completely new 2go? (let’s face it, the existing unit is less than stellar). But this time one that actually works well. And (this is the thing) - a built in super upscaler, something that knocks all these aftermarket upscaling devices into a cocked hat, and possibly Dave (let’s face it, it’s getting old now) and M upscaler (generally unloved) as well. Now who wouldn’t like one of those? Form an orderly queue behind me.

I'm using Hugo 2 + 2 Go since January and it really meets my needs.
On the go with micro SD and Glider and at home with Roon without problems and hussles.
I believe there is room for improvements but right now it's a top notch streamer and I'm more than happy with it.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #20,621 of 22,475
I'm using Hugo 2 + 2 Go since January and it really meets my needs.
On the go with micro SD and Glider and at home with Roon without problems and hussles.
I believe there is room for improvements but right now it's a top notch streamer and I'm more than happy with it.
So many so happy with 2go but I can’t think that’s got something to do with the name on the front (a bit like driving a BMW). I know it isn’t good enough, I believe RW knows it really isn’t good enough, that’s why I think it’s going to be reinvented. I’m going to christen it “2go2” right now. Not just with a perfect hassle free SD interface and less clunky software that even idiots like me can use, not just a built in upscaler that pushes your H2 performance to the next level, but: sit yourselves down now because some of you are going to feint, a USB-C interface and charging port! That’s right I have no shame. I’m going to sit myself down in a quiet corner now because I’m getting over excited.

Dec 24, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #20,624 of 22,475
So many so happy with 2go but I can’t think that’s got something to do with the name on the front (a bit like driving a BMW). I know it isn’t good enough, I believe RW knows it really isn’t good enough, that’s why I think it’s going to be reinvented. I’m going to christen it “2go2” right now. Not just with a perfect hassle free SD interface and less clunky software that even idiots like me can use, not just a built in upscaler that pushes your H2 performance to the next level, but: sit yourselves down now because some of you are going to feint, a USB-C interface and charging port! That’s right I have no shame. I’m going to sit myself down in a quiet corner now because I’m getting over excited.
It’s just your experience.
Sorry for repeat myself but to me is a top notch streamer that meets my needs.
Highlights what is already fantastic in Hugo 2 and solves other issues like source dependency and RFI problems.
We all can dream with something better (it’s always possible to improve) but that shouldn’t take away the merits of an already good product that does what it sets out to do.
Merry Christmas to all!

Dec 26, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #20,625 of 22,475
It’s just your experience.
Sorry for repeat myself but to me is a top notch streamer that meets my needs.
Highlights what is already fantastic in Hugo 2 and solves other issues like source dependency and RFI problems.
We all can dream with something better (it’s always possible to improve) but that shouldn’t take away the merits of an already good product that does what it sets out to do.
Merry Christmas to all!
Anybody else got anything nice they would like to see on the new 2go2? I’m putting my name down for an upscaler, USB-C and improved (idiot proof for people like me) interface. How about some nice groovy anodising? A bright yellow to go with the black H2? Maybe a nice mid blue. We’ve got five weeks to create something perfect for ourselves before Chord burst the bubble!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back