Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 10, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #14,792 of 22,546
Hello, someone has an estimate on the time for repair?
My unit is having problems with the 3.5 mm output, which with a little bit of pressure loses the sound.

Cheers
The time for repair might be only ten minutes, if you open the case yourself, and solder in a new socket.
If you mean what is the time to ship the hugo 2 to your dealer, then they ship it to a repair centre, have them perform the repair, then ship the hugo 2 back to your dealer for you to collect, then it is unlikely that anyone here can give you a precise estimate.
Have you contacted chord support, to see what their advice is?

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #14,793 of 22,546
I found an interesting point in the HiFi News review of the Qutest. They were talking about the filters. They suggested using the green filter because it cuts out noise above 20Khz caused by high res music. ..... Their precise words are, "The HF roll-off filters have a curtailed response above 20KHz to help suppress noise and distortion from hi-res digital recordings that suffer it."

I always used either white - neutral, or green - incisive neutral with HF roll off. I think I might keep to green in future.

Why not just use the filter that you think sounds best? Can you actually hear noise above 20kHz?

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #14,794 of 22,546
The time for repair might be only ten minutes, if you open the case yourself, and solder in a new socket.
If you mean what is the time to ship the hugo 2 to your dealer, then they ship it to a repair centre, have them perform the repair, then ship the hugo 2 back to your dealer for you to collect, then it is unlikely that anyone here can give you a precise estimate.
Have you contacted chord support, to see what their advice is?

If he opens the case and starts fiddling around with a soldering iron, then he can kiss his warranty goodbye. I would not risk it. He should not make this his problem.
(Chord support are not going to tell him to fix it himself, rest assured)

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #14,795 of 22,546
Why not just use the filter that you think sounds best? Can you actually hear noise above 20kHz?
He might be conserned about the hetrodyning of superhigh frequencies interfering with the audible frequencies. i.e. A 30k tone beating against a 25k tone, creating an unauthorized subtone btw them. And if those high frequencies are unnecessary, he might be better off using the green. Of course, you're right in that he should judge for himself which is better.
I use the white anyway, just to be wrong.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #14,798 of 22,546
Does anybody know if the output of the HUGO 2 can be shorted to ground?

The reason I ask this question is there some amps support multiple input channels. When a channel is not enabled the signal input wire will be shorted to the ground.

If I have multiple DACs, including HUGO 2, connected to different channels and I want to do switching between DACs, when I switch to a different DAC other than HUGO 2 the HUGO 2 output will be shorted to ground. Will this cause any damage to the HUGO 2?

Thank you!

Shorting an amplifier that is capable of 0.5A output is a crazy thing to do. I can't understand why any designer would consider shorting unused inputs, this is plain insane, as it risks damaging gear, creates huge ground currents, which will induce distorted crosstalk.

So Hugo 2 will survive a short but thermal trips will come into effect. It must never be run constantly into a short, as it will potentially damage the device in the long term, as well as prematurely age the battery.

I despair at some of the mickey mouse "designers" in the audiophile business.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #14,799 of 22,546
Shorting an amplifier that is capable of 0.5A output is a crazy thing to do. I can't understand why any designer would consider shorting unused inputs, this is plain insane, as it risks damaging gear, creates huge ground currents, which will induce distorted crosstalk.

I thought the same, but I didn't dare say anything because I was afraid I had missed something obvious. As always, your input is most welcome and highly appreciated, thank you for stopping by.

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #14,800 of 22,546

So Hugo 2 will survive a short but thermal trips will come into effect. It must never be run constantly into a short, as it will potentially damage the device in the long term, as well as prematurely age the battery.

I despair at some of the mickey mouse "designers" in the audiophile business.
Thank you for your reply Rob! May I ask if the qutest also supply current to the RCA output, will it survive from the shortage?

Nov 11, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #14,801 of 22,546
Qutest is the same OP stage as Mojo, so same applies as Hugo 2. Bad idea to short it!

The reason I use such a powerful discrete OP stage with Qutest is I get much lower distortion, even with the easy to drive loads of an amplifier input.

Nov 11, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #14,802 of 22,546
Qutest is the same OP stage as Mojo, ...

Please does that mean that the Hugo 2 output stage is technically better than Qutest in regards to audio? Or that the Qutest only needs Mojo output in terms of one pair of RCA terminals.

Sorry if I didn't ask this clearly, I am really struggling to put it into words.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #14,803 of 22,546
Please does that mean that the Hugo 2 output stage is technically better than Qutest in regards to audio? Or that the Qutest only needs Mojo output in terms of one pair of RCA terminals. Also with less amplitude needed compared to Hugo 2?

Sorry if I didn't ask this clearly, I am really struggling to put it into words.

They all have plenty of amplitude, don't worry.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #14,804 of 22,546
Please does that mean that the Hugo 2 output stage is technically better than Qutest in regards to audio? Or that the Qutest only needs Mojo output in terms of one pair of RCA terminals.

Hugo 2 has been designed to have negligible change in distortion with low impedance loads; clearly, Qutest when driving amp inputs does not require that level of performance, as Qutest will always be in Class A mode, and so does not need the second order analogue noise shaper that Hugo 2 enjoys.

Nov 11, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #14,805 of 22,546
Hugo 2 has been designed to have negligible change in distortion with low impedance loads; clearly, Qutest when driving amp inputs does not require that level of performance, as Qutest will always be in Class A mode, and so does not need the second order analogue noise shaper that Hugo 2 enjoys.

Thank you. I hope I wasn't being nosy. ... I keep juggling with the idea of buying a Qutest or another Chord DAC. I was of the thinking that the Hugo 2 and Qutest were identical apart from the obvious. The when you said the Qutest and Mojo shared part design, I was puzzled. I hope it's OK asking, as you have such workload keeping up with the threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back