Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 14, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #13,893 of 22,475
For strictly home use in desktop mode would the official case cause H2 to overheat? So in desktop mode case is not needed? I would like the case as a protective/visually nice add on but not if it restricted the cooling down process in home use plugged in. Advice appreciated.

I believe that the standard advice is to use a USB fan.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #13,894 of 22,475
Does anyone know if there has been further development on the headphone out vs. RCA out? I've tried to read back through the thread but there didn't seem to be any real consensus. Has anyone done more experimenting? Currawong mentioned in a youtube video that he seemed to think it had something to do with crosstalk and the quality of adapters that were used.

I need to make a decision myself on an adapter. Furutech makes a great copper conductor 6.3mm, which I would prefer over a cumbersome and more expensive pair of RCAs. However, if the SQ is worth it I would make the jump.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #13,895 of 22,475
Does anyone know if there has been further development on the headphone out vs. RCA out? I've tried to read back through the thread but there didn't seem to be any real consensus. Has anyone done more experimenting? Currawong mentioned in a youtube video that he seemed to think it had something to do with crosstalk and the quality of adapters that were used.

I need to make a decision myself on an adapter. Furutech makes a great copper conductor 6.3mm, which I would prefer over a cumbersome and more expensive pair of RCAs. However, if the SQ is worth it I would make the jump.
Not sure I understand fully your post, so maybe some clarification would help.
I can say that with Mojo, I use the 3.5mm output to drive an amp.
With the Hugo 2, I have found that the RCA out can direct drive my loudspeakers (86db efficiency). I think direct driving is the way to go for me, especially with the TT2 on the horizon.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #13,896 of 22,475

Not sure I understand fully your post, so maybe some clarification would help.
I can say that with Mojo, I use the 3.5mm output to drive an amp.
With the Hugo 2, I have found that the RCA out can direct drive my loudspeakers (86db efficiency). I think direct driving is the way to go for me, especially with the TT2 on the horizon.

Thanks Miketlse. There's been some discussion/debate that Hugo2 sounds better (improved soundstage/imaging, clarity, dynamics) when a headphone is connected to the RCA jacks instead of one of the headphone outs. A bunch of people have posted that this isn't possible because they both go back to the same internal circuit. However, those who have experimented insist there is a clear difference. There are some theories as to why this--may--be the case.

I was hoping at this point that someone had worked through the different factors that may be involved to give some sound insight.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #13,897 of 22,475
Thanks Miketlse. There's been some discussion/debate that Hugo2 sounds better (improved soundstage/imaging, clarity, dynamics) when a headphone is connected to the RCA jacks instead of one of the headphone outs. A bunch of people have posted that this isn't possible because they both go back to the same internal circuit. However, those who have experimented insist there is a clear difference. There are some theories as to why this--may--be the case.

I was hoping at this point that someone had worked through the different factors that may be involved to give some sound insight.
I don't think there was a consensus. Some thought that the wiring of the RCA adapters made a difference. I think that might have been where @Currawong was coming from.

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #13,898 of 22,475

For Hugo 2 when i listen with headphones I use the headphones out.
However I did DIY cables that allow me to use the RCA out to direct drive speakers - which I find very enjoyable, as a short-term solution for computer monitors. I plan to try with slightly more efficient monitors, and maybe in the longer term I could try better speakers.
Some days I prefer headphones, some days I prefer speakers, which is testimony to the Hugo 2 being very versatile.
Whets the appetite for the TT2.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #13,899 of 22,475

I believe that both the RCA and headphone sockets are connected to the same dac output.
Yes, some people do claim a difference according to which output you use. I have never tried this comparison, so retain an open mind as to whether there is a difference.
In the short-term, all I can suggest, is try yourself if possible, and try to form an opinion.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #13,900 of 22,475
I don't think there was a consensus. Some thought that the wiring of the RCA adapters made a difference. I think that might have been where @Currawong was coming from.

Yeah, I think his point was basically that those who found RCA to be superior may have been comparing it to headphone outs using poor quality adapters. It makes sense to me that a lot of H2 users probably have a balanced cable on their best phones. This would mean that they would have to use an adapter. If it's not a very transparent adapter there will be loss compared to a direct connection to a balanced amplifier or better made RCA adapters.

This is why it's hard to try it out, because if it does come down to the connectors, you need to be comparing parts of equal quality. I plan on purchasing either a furutech copper core 6.3 or something like the WBT RCAs, but that's a couple hundred for a pair.

I don't mean to reignite debate. I'm hoping that since some time has passed someone has done some proper testing.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #13,901 of 22,475
I prefer to be less negative.
When starting to build a social network or forum, the 'rule of thumb' is normally quoted as 90% of members never post, 9% rarely post, and only 1% are active members.
This distribution is 'hinted at' when one compares the number of views to posts.
I count myself as one of the active 1%, and I post because of a mixture of a passion for the subject, enjoying reading/responding to what others post, and I hope that in some small way I can also help others to enjoy music via chord equipment etc.
No doubt some will regard what I post as utter crap, but I never measure what value I hopefully add, in terms of the total number of posts that I make.
My post was not aimed at you or other genuine Headphoneus Supremii, but it does seem a bit strange that one can make 1500 useless posts (I'm pretty close to it) and be rewarded in such a way. Maybe a ratio of posts to likes would be a better measure.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #13,902 of 22,475
My post was not aimed at you or other genuine Headphoneus Supremii, but it does seem a bit strange that one can make 1500 useless posts (I'm pretty close to it) and be rewarded in such a way. Maybe a ratio of posts to likes would be a better measure.
When I studied for a MSc 20 years ago, one of the lecturers stated 'what gets measured gets done'.
Since then, I have learnt that there is a lot of truth in that generalisation.
If the metric is 'number of posts' then some individuals will chase their number of posts.
If the metric is 'number of posts v number of likes' then some individuals will chase that metric.
All metrics are flawed to a certain extent, in that once defined, some individuals will chase them once defined.
Given that imperfection, the best that can be hoped for, is that individuals understand each metric, and subconsciously assess individuals compared to that metric.
We are all human, and try our best, but do not always succeed.

Aug 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #13,904 of 22,475
When I studied for a MSc 20 years ago, one of the lecturers stated 'what gets measured gets done'.
Since then, I have learnt that there is a lot of truth in that generalisation.
If the metric is 'number of posts' then some individuals will chase their number of posts.
If the metric is 'number of posts v number of likes' then some individuals will chase that metric.
All metrics are flawed to a certain extent, in that once defined, some individuals will chase them once defined.
Given that imperfection, the best that can be hoped for, is that individuals understand each metric, and subconsciously assess individuals compared to that metric.
We are all human, and try our best, but do not always succeed.
Well I am a head-fier that will not be chasing the goal, however it is set.

@maxh22 - you are stating that there is quality in those posts, something which I have applauded.
ooops...only 90 odd post away from being a Headphonius Supremeus, which I am not...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #13,905 of 22,475
There's no need to throw shade, you'd be surprised just how many great questions musickid asked that I or others haven't yet thought of and how many people benefited from the quantity of questions hes asked.
I think that's a scientific trueism. And philosophy. More important to know what questions to ask is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back