Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #13,923 of 22,516
no doubt when Musickid has got over his newly acclaimed status he will ask some pertinent questions as per-usual (grrr) that said, sometimes it nice to have chat about music you're listening to (it's what your product is for) and a bit of banter, it may not be 'intellectually stimulating' but hey.

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #13,924 of 22,516
The carefree banter must of course maintain a sense of urgency and imminent importance in its tone........on topic: tomorrow i may be getting a sony mdr-z1r headphone to pair with hugo2/mscaler. If i decide to i will be trading in my Oppo PM1.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #13,925 of 22,516
The carefree banter must of course maintain a sense of urgency and imminent importance in its tone........on topic: tomorrow i may be getting a sony mdr-z1r headphone to pair with hugo2/mscaler. If i decide to i will be trading in my Oppo PM1.
Is that the Sony that got mixed reviews between Jude and Tyll? If so, I hope you'll definitely give your take on it.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #13,926 of 22,516
It's not 100% yet but i'm making major movements towards richer sounds at 1400 hours in the hope of securing the best possible buy now pay 10 months later deal. Its the least i can do considering some of my favourite jazz virtuosos dedicated their whole careers into make people like me happy.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #13,927 of 22,516

I'm also very interested in which headphones will bring out the best in w Hugo 2 / mscaler. I currently have HD800 but am considering a move to Utopias... My music tastes are varied but Jazz / Pop / Rock and Opera all form a part.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #13,928 of 22,516
I initially wasn't a fan of Elear/Utopias coz it had a narrow soundstage and a very 'TV sound'. The best HP was the HiFi man he1k at that time.

After tweaking my laptop, adding IFI accessories and such...the Utopias shined big time. It has this wide energetic soundstage and no congestion. The overall sound just sounds more convincing vs the He1k. Quite impressive. It helps to also give it a cable upgrade. It's my #1 HP choice.

Aug 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #13,930 of 22,516
I went to have a listen to the new iFi Pro iDSD, that retails for similar price to Hugo2.

It was a great listen and I'll keep the tone of this post positive, all round.

The point of this post is only to say, what Rob has packed into something 1/4 the size, maybe 1/8th if you consider thickness/height... is quite amazing. You appreciate it when you listening to similarly priced DAC/amps, whether portable or not.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #13,931 of 22,516
I initially wasn't a fan of Elear/Utopias coz it had a narrow soundstage and a very 'TV sound'. The best HP was the HiFi man he1k at that time.

After tweaking my laptop, adding IFI accessories and such...the Utopias shined big time. It has this wide energetic soundstage and no congestion. The overall sound just sounds more convincing vs the He1k. Quite impressive. It helps to also give it a cable upgrade. It's my #1 HP choice.

Guessing you would love the Stax SR-009 then in a no compromise system.

Aug 19, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #13,932 of 22,516
Tried running my H2 last night direct from my Pixel 2 using USB and UAPP compared to usual USB direct from Mac Mini.

To my ears this was a resounding success and I really felt the H2's great sound improved namely feeling far more relaxed and any glare eradicated.

This just makes me terribly impatient for the 2go which I am sure is going to be awesome in both functionality and improved sound by being more off grid.....

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #13,933 of 22,516
Tried running my H2 last night direct from my Pixel 2 using USB and UAPP compared to usual USB direct from Mac Mini.

To my ears this was a resounding success and I really felt the H2's great sound improved namely feeling far more relaxed and any glare eradicated.

This just makes me terribly impatient for the 2go which I am sure is going to be awesome in both functionality and improved sound by being more off grid.....

Deleted

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #13,934 of 22,516

I inadvertently came across a thread that was generally asking about Roon Endpoints and it quickly delved into how the iPhone is an amazing endpoint. More than a few people have confirmed it sounds better or just as good as their own ultraRendu unit with LPS 1.2.

I gave it a shot, purchasing the CCK for my iPad pro and i would say it is good. It would be my second best setup. I chanced upon an amazing setting on Fidelizer Pro with Roon that gave amazing timing and everything fell into place. The strike on high hats and cymbals sounds naturally sharp. I took out my iPurifier because now it seems to artificially sharpen the edges of the micro-dynamics. There's more soundstage and better imaging. Now I have to make a jump to the lifetime subscription to Roon and this tweak made it worth it. I'm still gunning for the 2Go and will use this setup as the barometer.

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #13,935 of 22,516
I have AK1000, nothing beat it now for "one box" solution, but for me HUGO2 + 2Go will be the ultimate (trans)portable set-up, but.... will the 2Go be released one day ?? When ?...:angry:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back