1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
First

Back
918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927
929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938
Next

Last
  1. Hooster
    Well done, Sir! Your contribution to the forum has been much appreciated and your achievement is well deserved. Thank you.

I hope you find clean power for the M - Scaler.

2. Currawong Contributor
    It appears to be an issue with the quality or design of 3.5mm and 6.3mm connectors.

514077 likes this.
  3. OK-Guy
    but you will be, honest.

4. Triode User
    Perhaps just the inherent nature of the jacks as opposed to the RCA rather than a quality issue. The RCA plugs usually make contact over a larger area (depending on the supplier of the connector - some variations of WBT and others are designed to not to make full contact) and so it is possible that there is better / more reliable contact resistance with RBT connectors. All untested by me and just conjecture.

514077 likes this.
  5. ZappaMan
    Could you help me understand what the best way to drive passive speakers from hugo2 rca sockets would be?
    I have two speakers, un-terminated speaker wire that connects to the terminals of my power amp.
    Do I need to get those leads terminated (permanently or is it possible to remove the terminations so I can use the lead again in my power amp)?
    Then do I need some kind of rca to 2 rca splitter, abd then I feed each with a combination of each a each of the hugo rca outputs?
    Or am I looking for a 2 rca to 4 rca cable?
    But then how would you deal with the fact that the speakers are a few metres apart !

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. Triode User
    The easiest way is to solder your existing speakers cables onto RCA connectors (easiest that is if you can solder or have a friendly techie available). If you already have banana plugs on the amp end of your speaker cables then a reversable solution is to get a two short leads made up with RCA one and and two female bananas on the other end of each cable. There are plenty of companies who will do this for you and not charge much.

The connections from one RCA on your Hugo2 are taken to one speaker, the other RCA is connected to the other speaker. So, no you do not feed a combination of each to the Hugo RCA outputs. Make sure you connect the + and - correctly to each speaker otherwise the speakers will be out of phase and you will lose quality and volume.

You are proposing to use your existing speaker cables which is fine but just a note to others who might think of using preterminated RCA interconnect cables. Interconnect cables are mostly not designed to carry current and may not be suitable for use on speakers because the voltage loss across the length of the cable can cause problems. Some interconnect cables have very thin conductors indeed. So, before using pre termimnated RCA cables, make sure they have conductors which are thick enough.

Hope this helps.

ZappaMan and blueninjasix like this.
  7. 514077
    I had no idea. Thanks.

8. OK-Guy
    back to the source of our enjoyment, the music... today I'm enjoying a recent purchase by The Beach-Boys & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, being a lover of 'Pet Sounds' wasn't to sure what to expect but the combination actually works bringing a revitalised slant to Beach-Boys music. It's clever stuff, vocals were stripped from the original masters then orchestrated all with the approval & assistance of the band, heartily recommended treat for your ears.

apmusson, 514077 and Light - Man like this.
  9. miketlse
    I am using Wharfedale Diamond 1 speakers (approx 30 years old) as a 'proof of concept'. They are 86db, and my first thought was that they would be too inefficient to work, but would still be an interesting 'test'.
    Depending on the music source, I need the volume on turquoise or blue, which I assume represents about 50% of max volume.
    My conclusion is that it could be difficult for speakers rated at much less than 86db, but that still leaves plenty of speakers to choose from.

Room for improvement - The diamonds are enjoyable as:is for computer monitors, but they are dual drivers with crossover. Replacing with a single driver, with no crossover would improve the efficiency - but I am enjoying them enough, that I am in no hurry to experiment.

Providing you can find RCA plugs with the two connections, creating the wires is not difficult. Luckily I found some spare ones in my tool box, but plugs like these are available from thomann or amazon.
    Here is a diagram that I prepared for another head-fier. It is not difficult/costly to explore direct driving, using basic speaker wire and RCA plugs. Once you have established that you can drive your speakers, then you can consider using audiophile quality speaker wire, plugs, etc.
    Hope this helps, but feel free to ask further questions.
    Hugo2_direct_driving_speakers.jpg

10. 514077
    I used to love the Beach Boys as a kid. Got this recording a couple of months ago. Good choice for getting back to the music.

OK-Guy likes this.
  11. OK-Guy
    yeah I loved them as a kid as well, the memories of a bygone time come flooding back when I immerse myself in the Album. Must admit to who ever produced it has done a fantastic job on the vocals, they're simply divine especially on 'Disney Girls'... so others can enjoy our pleasure here's the track.

514077 likes this.
  12. GreenBow
    There are RCA plugs that have small screws to attach cables. I added some to the thread or the TT 2 thread a while ago. Or google solder free RCA.

Of course you could buy solder ones.

ZappaMan likes this.
  13. 514077
    Has anyone tried the new Audirvana for Windows? I ask because I'm wondering if it can work on W7 as well as 10. Once again, FB2K has broken its DSD functioning with the release of V1.4, JRiver isn't 'blind-guy-usable', and I'm looking for a possible alternative.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2018
  14. uzi2
    This doesn't bode well..
    foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2018-06-08 02:18:36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: The Beach Boys & Royal Philharmonic Orchestra / The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR10 -1.27 dB -14.92 dB 1:32 01-California Suite
    DR7 -1.13 dB -10.60 dB 2:46 02-California Girls
    DR7 -1.14 dB -10.23 dB 3:13 03-Wouldn't It Be Nice
    DR7 -1.13 dB -10.34 dB 2:24 04-Fun, Fun, Fun
    DR8 -1.14 dB -9.96 dB 2:50 05-Don't Worry Baby
    DR8 -1.14 dB -12.00 dB 3:12 06-God Only Knows
    DR7 -1.14 dB -10.47 dB 3:44 07-Sloop John B
    DR8 -1.15 dB -11.01 dB 4:08 08-Heroes And Villains
    DR7 -1.15 dB -10.82 dB 4:36 09-Disney Girls
    DR7 -1.14 dB -10.59 dB 3:08 10-Here Today
    DR8 -1.15 dB -11.85 dB 2:33 11-In My Room
    DR7 -1.14 dB -10.11 dB 3:51 12-Kokomo
    DR8 -1.14 dB -11.19 dB 3:15 13-The Warmth Of The Sun
    DR6 -1.13 dB -8.93 dB 2:19 14-Darlin'
    DR7 -1.15 dB -9.65 dB 3:00 15-Help Me Rhonda
    DR8 -1.15 dB -12.15 dB 3:11 16-You Still Believe In Me
    DR7 -1.06 dB -10.87 dB 4:20 17-Good Vibrations

Number of tracks: 17
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2877 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

#loudnesswars

15. OK-Guy
    uzi mate, that has gone whoosh straight over my head, the only answer I can hazard a guess at was that I was listening to the Album via CD (WAV?), it sounds great to my ears... now what was the post about?

(wonders if uzi is training in preparation of becoming 'Headphoneus Supremus')... :wink:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    514077 likes this.
First

Back
918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927
929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938
Next

Last