Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #13,352 of 22,537
When using the volume dial is it slight pressure downwards then turn either left or right? When i had my my H2 i did not exert any slight pressure downwards? Clarification appreciated. MK. In the manual the finger points downwards into the volume ball.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #13,353 of 22,537
When using the volume dial is it slight pressure downwards then turn either left or right? When i had my my H2 i did not exert any slight pressure downwards? Clarification appreciated. MK. In the manual the finger points downwards into the volume ball.

The volume ball does not move up-down so I would not try to press it. Use the amount of touch you require to turn it and not more.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #13,354 of 22,537
New owner of H2 here. Pairing it with LCDi4 and feeding it with Roon.
After a week of losing sleep. Conclusion: this combo is simply mind-blowing...
I'm a previous owner of DAVE and Utopia, not sure which combo I like more now.
This combo has a more relaxed and laid back presentation compare to Utopia+DAVE. Reminds me a lot of LCD4 and I love it!

However, the H2 really do need burn in.
When I received it as new, it sounded extremely lean, bright and brittle. A lot of sibilance from vocal tracks.
I even started to regret the purchase after just a few hours of listening.
But luckily I left it on overnight, and what I hear in the morning was almost a completely different DAC.
I leave the H2 on 24/7 and the sound just keeps improving throughout the week.
I plugged my TH-X00 in just for fun, and I can't believe how bad it sounds compare to the LCDi4.
It's by no means a bad headphone, just the LCDi4 is simply insane. I am a happy man now :)

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #13,355 of 22,537
Hi all, I have some problems when I want to listen H2 with the charger. It shut down after a few minutes. With the battery no problem of course. I have tried to charge it more than 24 hours, to left it connected, always the same. The only way to listen it without any problem is on battery. However when I am at home and when battery discharged I want to be able to use it with the charger. Any help will be very appreciated.

Jul 3, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #13,356 of 22,537
Hi all, I have some problems when I want to listen H2 with the charger. It shut down after a few minutes. With the battery no problem of course. I have tried to charge it more than 24 hours, to left it connected, always the same. The only way to listen it without any problem is on battery. However when I am at home and when battery discharged I want to be able to use it with the charger. Any help will be very appreciated.
It sounds like you have a flat battery, and your charger does not recharge it. What charger are you using?

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #13,357 of 22,537
Hi, not the original one, the RAV power from amazon, so I can charge the Hugo2, my DAP and my phone all together. I think it work because when I use it the white light shut down after around 2 or 3 hours and it is blue with batterie alone.

Jul 3, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #13,358 of 22,537
Do any previous Mojo owners actually find they miss playing their Mojo? I have barely used Mojo since buying a Hugo 2. However when I pick up my Mojo, I get a strong emotional response. It must be indicative of the experience I have had with my Mojo. The profound and unconditional love I had from listening to it.

I actually have my Mojo sat on top of my Hugo 2 right now, so it's not out of sight.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #13,359 of 22,537
GreenBow, it sounds like love at first sight!

Maybe it is time to get yourself a new puppy (or a baby elephant) and teach her to play the piano (better than I can). :smile_phones:

tenor.gif

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #13,360 of 22,537

Maybe it is time to get yourself a new puppy (or a baby elephant) and teach her to play the piano (better than I can). :smile_phones:

tenor.gif
Wow another of your killer dogs!
I will actually miss the upcoming Canjam in London because I have promised to babysit their poodle while its "parents" are in California to visit their son.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #13,361 of 22,537
I have what I would call an obsessive/compulsive question:

I currently use the Hugo 2 in desktop mode. I use it both with headphones and with speakers (connected via the RCA outputs to a preamp and amp).

My question revolves around switching between these two modes: There's no problem when I switch to headphones, because I just turn down the preamp volume to the speakers. But when I want to listen to speakers, I either have to unplug the headphones, or leave them plugged in, and consequently leave them playing all the time. The obvious answer is just unplug the headphones, but I have a phobia about frequently plugging and unplugging electronic components -- I just figure that wherever there is pushing and pulling there is friction, which could damage the Hugo 2 headphone ports or the headphone jack.

So I guess what I am looking for is either some way to get around the plugging, unplugging process, or simply reassurance that I shouldn't worry about it.

I note that the Dave and the Hugo TT 2 both will shut off the other outputs once headphones are plugged in -- so in that case there seems to be no choice but unplugging the headphones whenever you want to listen to speakers, right?

Forgive me if this is an inane question, but it's very hot where I am now.:thinking::sunny:

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #13,362 of 22,537
It sounds like you have a flat battery, and your charger does not recharge it. What charger are you using?

As far as I am aware, flat battery should not matter as rob said in one of his posts.

“I made sure that Hugo2 could work without a battery but, why would you want to”.

To me, that means, even without a battery, hugo 2 will still work, so not sure if a dead battery would be the limiting factor here.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #13,363 of 22,537
I have what I would call an obsessive/compulsive question:

I currently use the Hugo 2 in desktop mode. I use it both with headphones and with speakers (connected via the RCA outputs to a preamp and amp).

My question revolves around switching between these two modes: There's no problem when I switch to headphones, because I just turn down the preamp volume to the speakers. But when I want to listen to speakers, I either have to unplug the headphones, or leave them plugged in, and consequently leave them playing all the time. The obvious answer is just unplug the headphones, but I have a phobia about frequently plugging and unplugging electronic components -- I just figure that wherever there is pushing and pulling there is friction, which could damage the Hugo 2 headphone ports or the headphone jack.

So I guess what I am looking for is either some way to get around the plugging, unplugging process, or simply reassurance that I shouldn't worry about it.

I note that the Dave and the Hugo TT 2 both will shut off the other outputs once headphones are plugged in -- so in that case there seems to be no choice but unplugging the headphones whenever you want to listen to speakers, right?

Forgive me if this is an inane question, but it's very hot where I am now.:thinking::sunny:

Had similar thought as one of my old mojo’s 3.5mm ports started dieing on me and that was with very little use, binned it and got a new one.

So, I have decided to always use an adapter, on mojo I use a female 3.5mm right angle adapter, plug the headphones into that instead of mojo.

I also bought a few belkin female 3.5mm to male with about 2cm of thin cable between both ends.

Now the chance of socket damage is virtually eliminated.

Done tests with and without adapters and my conclusion is, they sound exactly the same as if I wasnt using an adapter at all.

Its perfect for mojo as I always did fear its ports getting damaged again, now, the chance of damage is virtually eliminated.

As an aside, I just bought pair of Sennheiser HD800S, it will be interesting to see how they perform on H2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #13,364 of 22,537

tenor.gif

That's pretty much how I feel about the Mojo. When I pick up my Mojo I feel an intense rush as I look at its connections and buttons. I miss it, and think back to what it gave me. I miss using it.

However initially it took me a while to adjust to the Mojo sound. I could hear the extra detail, compared to my Meridian Explorer. (DAC attached to computer for gaming and music.) Then after about a week I grew to appreciate that the Mojo was smooth, because it didn't make lots of 'noises'. (Best way I can think to describe it.) Then by about ten days, I was pretty much convinced, and liked the way Mojo did stuff. After that it was all uphill. It took two weeks to a month before I was 100% up to speed with Mojo. There was no turning back, and to me the Mojo sounded right.

When my Hugo 2 was new, it was similar. At first I was literally outfaced by the detail, but very happy about that. I could hear its natural warmth. Again it took a month to get up to speed with it and hear it for what it truly was. During that month though I listened to it non-stop, because life was too short, not to.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #13,365 of 22,537
I found the review of the Hugo 2 that made a comparison to vinyl. (I was talking about it some time ago.)

It's from Hi-FI Choice issue 428, October 2017.

It says,
"You start hearing things in a way that normally only comes from high quality vinyl; a top turntable running a serious moving coil cartridge".

(That's from the Hi-Fi Choice Hugo 2 review, so it might also be online.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back