Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #13,126 of 22,475
I think it would be like this.

2go at the end where the screw holes are and the balls, hugo in the middle and then Mscaler to headphones.

So 2go will stream music to hugo2, hugo2 then outputs the audio to Mscaler and the mscaler tidies it up and then outputs it to our headphones.

That would be in my opinion the best way to do it, if its possible to get all 3 devices connected at once, for all I know, it could just be a case of, 2go and Hugo or mscaler and hugo, it may not be possible to have all 3 devices connected at once ?

Based on how the Dave/BluMkII work it seems like the m-scaler would be upstream of the Hugo 2, which would definitely make using it and the 2GO interesting.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #13,127 of 22,475
The FPGA in the Blu mkII mScaler draws 10amps current so I imagine we are some way from a portable mScaler unless FPGA tech advances somewhat. A stand-alone desktop mScaler could be a possibility though I guess.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #13,128 of 22,475
I think it would be like this.

2go at the end where the screw holes are and the balls, hugo in the middle and then Mscaler to headphones.

So 2go will stream music to hugo2, hugo2 then outputs the audio to Mscaler and the mscaler tidies it up and then outputs it to our headphones.

That would be in my opinion the best way to do it, if its possible to get all 3 devices connected at once, for all I know, it could just be a case of, 2go and Hugo or mscaler and hugo, it may not be possible to have all 3 devices connected at once ?
The Hugo and M-scaler are connected digitally, not via audio.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #13,129 of 22,475
Based on how the Dave/BluMkII work it seems like the m-scaler would be upstream of the Hugo 2, which would definitely make using it and the 2GO interesting.

Yea, I really have no idea but what intrigues me is this.

The coax port supports 2 x 384khz streams to make a total of 768khz, (for future devices) its a input that supports dual data streams to give 768khz max.

So, to me, it looks like that single coax port, I think thats where mscaler will connect to.

We can then have 2go at one end, and an mscaler in dual data mode plugged into the other end via the dual data mode coax port since its an input only.

The mscaler would have to have passthroughs for the headphone and rca outputs and the optical input, basically mimicking Hugo 2s output end.

I think to use the mscaler, we would plug our music into the mscaler, it would be processed by the mscaler and then processed again by hugo and then it would come out of hugo via the headphone ports and be pass throughed to the headphone ports on the mscaler.

an example, the usb charging port on poly passes through to mojo, so it would be the same for the headphone end of hugo, all of those ports will be on the mscaler.

Thats how I think it would be ?

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #13,130 of 22,475
The Hugo and M-scaler are connected digitally, not via audio.

Yea, I realised that when phil said the mscaler will be upstream of hugo2.

My post above this one is how I think it will work, we plug our music into a usb or optical port on mscaler, mscaler processes it and sends it to hugo, hugo processes it and sends it to the headphone ports which will passthrough to the mscaler headphone ports, just like the usb port on poly which passes through to mojo so both can be charged at once.

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #13,131 of 22,475
Yea, I realised that when phil said the mscaler will be upstream of hugo2.

My post above this one is how I think it will work, we plug our music into a usb or optical port on mscaler, mscaler processes it and sends it to hugo, hugo processes it and sends it to the headphone ports which will passthrough to the mscaler headphone ports, just like the usb port on poly which passes through to mojo so both can be charged at once.

Surely you have got the bit wrong about headphone ports (outlets?) on the awaited MScaler. The MScaler is a digital domain only device. The analogue output will still be H2 even if an MScaler is used to feed the H2.

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #13,132 of 22,475
I love my chord hugo 2 (previous owner of mojo) but the el cheapo dragonfly red dac with its MQA ability is just blowing me away with Tidal MQA recordings. To my ears and preference, the texture, palpability, detail, depth and layers of music is so much more real. The last time I heard this level of realism was music out of the Chord Dave but now even more so.
Unless the recordings are non MQA, I'm not even using my chord hugo 2. :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #13,133 of 22,475
Surely you have got the bit wrong about headphone ports (outlets?) on the awaited MScaler. The MScaler is a digital domain only device. The analogue output will still be H2 even if an MScaler is used to feed the H2.

Yes, I know.

Say 2go plugs into the usb end of hugo, which photos already show that it does.

Where else can the mscaler plug into ? It cant plug into 2go as it will block the sd card slots.

If its a small box with just a wire plugging into hugo 2, fine, as that would leave all the ports on Hugo free and clear.

But, say the mscaler is an addon module like 2go, so if 2go is at one end, where else can it fit on Hugo 2 ?

To me it seems the only other way would be for the mscaler to connect to the coax double data port and have pass throughs for all the other ports that it was blocking, headphone ports, optical input etc.

If it is an addon module for the other side, the mscaler would have to have headphone out as it would be blocking hugos ones, same with the optical input port.

Plus it would also have to have digital inputs so that the mscaler could be fed music, do its thing and pass it to hugo, then hugo does its thing and then pushes it to the headphone ports which are just pass through connections, similar to the usb charging port on poly and also the mojo power light on poly, both simply pass through one to get to the other.

Basically, the headphone output would still be coming from hugo, but the headphones would be plugged into the mscaler instead.

I am going on the assumption that the Mscaler will be an addon for hugo, similar to 2go and that all 3 devices can be connected at the same time.

Hopefully we will find out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #13,134 of 22,475
I am going on the assumption that the Mscaler will be an addon for hugo, similar to 2go and that all 3 devices can be connected at the same time

Whereas I am assuming it will just be a box the can be connected by cables to H2, Qutest, TT2 or even to Dave.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #13,135 of 22,475
Whereas I am assuming it will just be a box the can be connected by cables to H2, Qutest, TT2 or even to Dave.

I hope it is like that, as to be honest, I dont want a hugo that ends up being 3 feet long.

The only reason I mentioned it being an addon module was because of one of robs posts, where if I can recall correctly, he was on a flight and mentioned how great hugo 2 and the mscaler sounded whilst on a plane.

To me, that suggested a portable mscaler and possibly a h2 addon ?

However, I would prefer a standalone, I just hope that all 3 devices can be used together, not sure if mscaler can be used whilst 2go is connected to it, as that would block the usb data port.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #13,136 of 22,475
I hope it is like that, as to be honest, I dont want a hugo that ends up being 3 feet long.

The only reason I mentioned it being an addon module was because of one of robs posts, where if I can recall correctly, he was on a flight and mentioned how great hugo 2 and the mscaler sounded whilst on a plane.

To me, that suggested a portable mscaler and possibly a h2 addon ?

However, I would prefer a standalone, I just hope that all 3 devices can be used together, not sure if mscaler can be used whilst 2go is connected to it, as that would block the usb data port.
Since we're going on assumptions and guesses, I'd be inclined to think that the 2go would have the available ports it covers being the charge and data ports. The M-scaler, drawing the amount of power it needs, couldn't be very portable. It would have to be connected to the mains. Didn't someone say 10A for the scaler? Anyway, that's my best guess.

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #13,137 of 22,475
Since we're going on assumptions and guesses, I'd be inclined to think that the 2go would have the available ports it covers being the charge and data ports. The M-scaler, drawing the amount of power it needs, couldn't be very portable. It would have to be connected to the mains. Didn't someone say 10A for the scaler? Anyway, that's my best guess.

10A at 1volt or something like that for the chip. So miniscule power requirements. People always forget about the volts when quoting that 10A.

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #13,138 of 22,475

It could very well be like that, but if it is a stand alone product that can be connected to chords products, I have a feeling that it is not going to be cheap, £2000 is my guess, if thats the case, I will only be buying 2go, even that is not a guaranteed purchase as no way will I pay £1000+ for a streamer.

Mind you, I also said no way will I buy an £1800 dac. If both items combined cost circa £2000 in total, I would be happy, but I really cant see an mscaler selling for less than 2k.

On one hand Its a good time to be a hugo 2 owner, on the other hand, not so good, especially if we have to sell our houses to be able to play this game.

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #13,139 of 22,475
I just hope the Mscaler isnt a CD player addon as one of the posters above state, as I have 0 need for a portable or static CD player nowadays as all my music is on hard drives.

Now comes the hardpart, does anyone want to buy my house so that I can afford to get all these new toys ?

Don’t worry, the M Scaler won’t be a cd player add on, I was pulling Triode Users leg. I have long argued that it was utterly silly to bundle an M Scaler in with a cd transport as in the Blu 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back