Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 22, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #10,351 of 22,546
Thats good to know. I do use the battery extensively 2 times a week for about 7 hours each but have not drained it completely. Probably should do that.

The only reason to drain a li-ion battery completely is actually for the battery gauge and not the battery itself. Running li-ion batteries to dead is actually harmful for the overall lifespan if done consistently. The rule of thumb for absolute best overall battery life is to charge to 80% and only drain to 20%. Since there is no memory effect this will not degrade the battery, and draining to zero and then charging to full once a month will recalibrate the battery gauge as they can ‘drift’ with with their Voltage readings of the battery.

Jan 22, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #10,353 of 22,546
The only reason to drain a li-ion battery completely is actually for the battery gauge and not the battery itself. Running li-ion batteries to dead is actually harmful for the overall lifespan if done consistently. The rule of thumb for absolute best overall battery life is to charge to 80% and only drain to 20%. Since there is no memory effect this will not degrade the battery, and draining to zero and then charging to full once a month will recalibrate the battery gauge as they can ‘drift’ with with their Voltage readings of the battery.

Relic,

is this for both Hugo 2 and the Mojo batteries?

Jan 22, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #10,354 of 22,546
OT on MQA.
Please do start!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on MQA and why it is not included in recent Chord DACs.

MQA is a number of technologies combined, then marketed as the solution to everyone's problems, while locking you into a proprietary format.

1. To ensure it sells to the technologically illiterate, they've developed a proprietary re-mastering system they're selling to the record labels to "re-master" their back catalog with. That makes, most of the time, sufficient audible changes that they can say "See! MQA sounds great!" when they could just as well do the re-mastering alone, because ...
2. They use a technologically clever way to package the final MQA file, using the top 3 bits (corresponding to audio contained above 16kHz IIRC) to squash the high-res data, which then needs proprietary un-packing software. They sell this as high-res but only taking up the bandwidth of a standard CD-quality file. However it has been shown that a 176k 20-bit file of the same track is about the same size anyway! However ...
3. They are selling the idea that the files can "unfold" out as far as 384k (vs. CD Quality which is 44.1k). As Dan Lavry and Rob Watts have pointed out, what you're getting up there is just ADC "noise", so they are selling you ...
4. Distortion. As well as the MQA file being lossy. Those 3 bits I mentioned that contain the high-res data render the CD-quality data effectively lossy, by filling it with noise. Then there is the aliasing from their "filters".

So in the end, maybe their re-mastering might do some good to some albums, but the rest of MQA system is totally unnecessary.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #10,355 of 22,546
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #10,356 of 22,546
The battery gauge used in Hugo 2 and Mojo does not need re-calibration with a full charge discharge cycle; the ADC in the FPGA is very accurate (this is used to for the display of the battery levels, auto shutdown and for desktop mode), and the reference in the charger circuit is also very accurate (this sets the charging current and voltage); both do not need re-calibration.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #10,357 of 22,546
The battery gauge used in Hugo 2 and Mojo does not need re-calibration with a full charge discharge cycle; the ADC in the FPGA is very accurate (this is used to for the display of the battery levels, auto shutdown and for desktop mode), and the reference in the charger circuit is also very accurate (this sets the charging current and voltage); both do not need re-calibration.

Good to know! I should have clarified ‘typically’ and was speaking more in general terms. :)

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #10,359 of 22,546
Hi GreenBow and wldcohso, sorry if I bring up your old post, but I was looking for info regarding Hugo 2 heating up when charged with more than 5V 2.1A.
@Rob Watts shouldn't the Hugo 2 draw max 2.1A even if fed by a charger that has more current than 2.1A (i.e. 2.5A or 3A)?
If that's so charging the Hugo 2 with a 2.5A or a 2.1A should be the same as it doesn't have to dissipate the excessive current
Repost

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #10,360 of 22,546
I know what Rob Watts says about Using aftermarket Power Adaptors with the Hugo 2 but Just today I have received a LPS to try with my H2 and the difference in sound quality when used as DAC in a speakers system is huge. A LOT more open, liquid, rich, colourful and analog sounding. Anyone has tried some high quality LPS with the Hugo 2?
By the way I have just purchased a Valentinum case and it’s simply exquisite! Incredibly good looking and very high quality workmanship.

AC2F19E8-6086-4364-8B7A-EAC424E1C528.jpeg
20B4F20F-9E0F-4674-89B5-0A4A4D281E45.jpeg
DF41C887-F183-4771-BCAF-053D8B75B030.jpeg
6483644F-3AF7-4128-9D07-92C6F615D5EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #10,362 of 22,546
Yes my input was about USB operation which has been fixed for over a year. I chatted to Matt about this and there are other Poly related issues; in particular with DLNA depending on how the app implements it, even though Poly has gapless playback, some apps will still add gaps by having a pause on each track - even when the track is supposed to be continuous. Chord are working with apps like glider which is beta testing gapless tracks which is working well.

Since you posted, with Hugo 2, I have found turning off pause 'one second' for hardware synchronisation, audio is still right. It doesn't chop of the start of tracks.

However all is not straight forward. For some reason JRiver keeps reverting settings back, and including my previous 'one second' insert silence. Like JRiver has a mind of its own. I just checked now the settings, and it had done it again.

I have though, found that I can not make the Hugo 2 trip up. This is during the time I have managed to keep JRiver set at no 'insert silence'. I have tried starting new albums and new tracks, and the Hugo 2 plays perfectly, (with a rare pop or click). It seems fixed as you say though, which is cool. ........... Although summing up, I had no issue with using JRiver to fix it before. I came to the conclusion that if software writers are including 'hardware sync' time, then fair enough to Chord. (If you get what I mean.)

I am not sure what you mean by 'the app' was fixed. Either USB driver of the Hugo 2 coding. What I have to do now is try out my current Mojo. My first Mojo did cut off the first half second, and I had to use JRiver. My second Mojo may not. This is what I mean, by I don't understand what you fixed. I am hoping my current Mojo will not cut off first half second. Therefor it will give me hope to get a Poly. Mojo would have to work perfectly with Poly in this SD-card playing regard. Since I would not use the Poly for anything else, like streaming.

I sort of have my fingers crossed that the Poly will work fine. Meaning if it affects old Mojos, or if it's software that updated and fixed it. Shaky ground since during the last month the Mojo and Poly were reported cutting the start of the track.

@joe28

Thank you for your input about Glider. Sorry though, as right now I am so anti iTunes, that I could never buy Apple. I just can not get iTunes to do what I want it to. ..... I will be going Android if at all.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #10,364 of 22,546
I know what Rob Watts says about Using aftermarket Power Adaptors with the Hugo 2 but Just today I have received a LPS to try with my H2 and the difference in sound quality when used as DAC in a speakers system is huge. A LOT more open, liquid, rich, colourful and analog sounding. Anyone has tried some high quality LPS with the Hugo 2?
By the way I have just purchased a Valentinum case and it’s simply exquisite! Incredibly good looking and very high quality workmanship.

Great looking case, just ordered one.
How did you connect your LPS to the H2? Did you remove the batteries?

Jan 24, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #10,365 of 22,546

At first I thought there was no difference between having the Chord supplied charger plugged in, and not. .................... Then more recently, I unplugged while playing and thought I heard a quite large perception change in sound. 3d became more defined, and more dynamism etc. (I was very tired at the time, so no surety for myself on what I heard.)

I did however recently buy an iFi Nano USB 3.0. It has two functions and outputs. It supplies supposedly pure clean power, at 5v and 2.1A which matches the Chord charger perfectly. (I need to check it's exactly 5V before I try it though.) It also purifies the audio data steam USB power line, effectively putting galvanic isolation before the Hugo 2. Meaning I could replace my Jitterbug (which is doing a fantastic job) with it. I didn't try it out yet, but I will do soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back