Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 1, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #8,688 of 22,475
Does anyone know that which crossfeed setting rob using for his headphone? maybe green? please let me know.
Thank you.

I dial it to the max, blue.

Why not have a listen to them all and use the one you like? I think too many people are becoming a bit obsessed with Robs personal preferences regarding equipment or settings.

Agreed - cross-feed has no right or wrong setting, that's why it's switchable. I like blue simply because it sounds closer to speakers, but it's a personal preference.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #8,689 of 22,475
How to turn on crossfeed? Does Chord have a manual or something on their website? I haven't changed anything at all from unboxing it due to sounding so good just the way it is.

Nov 1, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #8,691 of 22,475
Nov 1, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #8,692 of 22,475
I just bought Hugo 2 few day ago. Now I am listening some classical and Jazz music with HD650 + Hugo 2 combo.
Results.... STUNNING! Best HD650 sound I have ever heard so far. Stunning!!! Perfect!!!lol
Rob, Thank you very much for designed this incredible miracle machine!

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #8,693 of 22,475
I just bought Hugo 2 few day ago. Now I am listening some classical and Jazz music with HD650 + Hugo 2 combo.
Results.... STUNNING! Best HD650 sound I have ever heard so far. Stunning!!! Perfect!!!
Rob, Thank you very much for designed this incredible miracle machine!

I use HD650 with my chord hugo 2 for the most part. I have HD 800S for special occasions :) Ofcorse the HD800s sound better but the HD 650 are really darn good with the HUgo 2 Best bang for your buck as far as headphones go HD 650

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #8,694 of 22,475
Ah forgot about this... Almost :)
Dont know how this would work out without cabinets... So close to a big glass surface.

I have to say that those 35€ a pair multicel drivers (4inch 94db efficiency) sounded better than the tang bang, which I sold again.

I planned to try similar with voxativ drivers, but this is postponed for a month or so.

Anyways good luck with your project, maybe your drivers work out better :wink:

Cheers

Pods for DIY are custom made and sold on eBay in your backyard (Germany). It's difficult to notice in the previous photo.

pods.jpg

That's encouraging that your getting some good sound from the 35€ a pair multicel drivers. I'm also putting any small or large projects on the back-burner for another 6 months. It's too much too soon since I just completed the portable/desktop setup. But I'll read up on voxativ in the meantime.

Thanks, good luck as well. I accidentally follow in your footsteps on similar projects or products as you many months later.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #8,695 of 22,475
Chord already makes an amp. It is called the TToby. In my opinion it is grossly overpriced and you could do much better elsewhere. There is zero reason to pair a Hugo2 with a Chord amp. The Hugo2 will work with any amp you like. Just get one you like and hopefully provides good value for money. Or just get active speakers. There are lots of good ones out there.

Thanks. I'm in no hurry. Going to wait for the rumored "Hugo Amp".

https://head-fi.org/threads/chord-e...-official-thread.831345/page-84#post-13322276

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #8,696 of 22,475
@AC-12
Ah I see you got enclosures :)
Didn't see those before... This might come out as a winner, when you don't expect too much of the bass :wink:

Cheers

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #8,697 of 22,475
Thanks. I'm in no hurry. Going to wait for the rumored "Hugo Amp".

https://head-fi.org/threads/chord-e...-official-thread.831345/page-84#post-13322276

Well I completely missed that rumour. Are you sure about that because it doesn't make much sense? We already have the TT amp which is the amp for the TT version of Hugo. It will no doubt also do nicely for the eventual Hugo2TT.

Hugo 2 is a portable headphone amp/DAC and I don't see either the need or the logic of a dedicated amp for the portable Hugo 2 especially as there is already the TT amp that can be used if the Hugo 2 is used in desktop mode.

On the other hand you may be right. Have you got the post where Rob Watts said this?

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #8,698 of 22,475
Pods for DIY are custom made and sold on eBay in your backyard (Germany). It's difficult to notice in the previous photo.

That's encouraging that your getting some good sound from the 35€ a pair multicel drivers. I'm also putting any small or large projects on the back-burner for another 6 months. But I'll read up on voxativ in the meantime.

Thanks, good luck as well. I accidentally follow in your footsteps on similar projects or products as you many months later.
Just to expand on my earlier posts:

During the last two years I have been on a bit of a journey re-igniting my enjoyment in music that I had twenty years ago.
  • I have spent those two years revisiting my music collection, first with Oppo HA-2, and then with Chord mojo, hugo 2.
  • I have adopted a methodology of first listen to the music tracks in my car - even with the bog-standard equipment (using MP3 or WMA files) I can decide 'I don't want to listen to that track again' or 'that track contains something interesting, which deserves to be listened to using a better system' (eg Mojo or Hugo 2)
So for anyone considering using voxativ drivers in their car, I think it is overkill (because of road noise, wind, engine noise, etc), but please consider drivers that enable you to make the decision (meh, or worth listening to on a good system)
I think that voxativ drivers have great potential for desktop use with H2, but it is overkill for in-car use.
We are all on a journey, so feedback regarding successful DIY speaker builds is always interesting :slight_smile:

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #8,699 of 22,475
Don't think that we are trying to be negative.
There are enough posts on the DAVE thread, to illustrate that direct driving a pair of passive speakers can be the purest sound experience imaginable, especially for desktop speakers, or speakers in a small room.
The difference with the Hugo 2 is that it outputs about half the power of the DAVE, so speakers have to be selected carefully, to maximise the benefit of the Hugo 2.
I think there is plenty of opportunity for building a good pair of DIY speakers, if you want their primary use to be for desktops, or small rooms.

@Hooster is right to point out that in some circumstances the Hugo 2 may not generate enough power - I think that using the Hugo 2 to drive speakers in a car, with all the issues of road/engine/wind noise may be expensive overkill. There have been posts about the Mojo being successfully used to drive car hifi systems, so potentially that is a more cost effective solution for in car use.

You are based in SoCal, so by all means try a autumn/winter evenings DIY pilot-project to create a pair of speakers for desktop/indoor use, and see where that leads.
Myself and @Hooster are just trying to help you avoid throwing money down the drain, on a car HiFi project. :slight_smile:

No, I understand. It's my fault for being vague. I'm not looking to take on a major project. Since I was enjoying the H2 for IEM use, I was just curious how it would sound like with speakers. I wasn't really focused on the speaker side since this thread was created, so I need to start back from the beginning. I was looking for something simple and portable when I'm not using IEMs while on the road (Hotel rooms, etc.) since H2 has a remote. I'm not looking to commit to B&W 802 D3, just a simple rig. So I remember skimming about high efficiency speakers so thought I could put them in pods for portable use.

I'll revisit next summer when I'm ready to tackle something more major. Hopefully, "Hugo amp" and/or 2Go will be introduced into the product line at that time for more flexibility of options.

The Car-Fi is a non-issue right now, but if one day all this works well; may consider. SoCal traffic so bad so who knows. Of course will need dampening material throughout the car to make bearable.

Nov 1, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #8,700 of 22,475
Well I completely missed that rumour. Are you sure about that because it doesn't make much sense? We already have the TT amp which is the amp for the TT version of Hugo. It will no doubt also do nicely for the eventual Hugo2TT.

Hugo 2 is a portable headphone amp/DAC and I don't see either the need or the logic of a dedicated amp for the portable Hugo 2 especially as there is already the TT amp that can be used if the Hugo 2 is used in desktop mode.

On the other hand you may be right. Have you got the post where Rob Watts said this?

I'm going to revisit the Chord threads. I'll post if I run into...

I was only concerned with IEM side, so skimmed speaker-related.

Will revisit now with speakers in focus...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back