Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #8,716 of 22,516
I remember that Chord were supposed to be coming out with some sort of new digital amp, maybe in the next couple of years. I think the idea was a more powerful amp without imposing a degrading sonic blanket over the Chord DACs, such as other amps do. No links leading to posts; just going by memory.

I see no need for a digital amp, to me the only reason to amp Chord sound is for that warm tubey goodness that only tubes can produce. Something like a WA8 or CDM downstream of a chord DAC is magical.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #8,717 of 22,516
I see no need for a digital amp, to me the only reason to amp Chord sound is for that warm tubey goodness that only tubes can produce. Something like a WA8 or CDM downstream of a chord DAC is magical.
well i beg to differ but understand why you would think that.

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #8,718 of 22,516
If you like tubes, that would be understandable. I for one could see someone wanting to amplify that Chordy goodness unadulterated by altering the goodness with a non-Chord tubeness or such. If I wanted tubes, I'd bought a DAC with tubes thrown in, or something other than Chord. You might not see the necessity, but others might. It's just me, but I've never understood taking a perfectly great Chord sound and splashing mud over it. You have your opinions, I have mine.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #8,719 of 22,516
If you like tubes, that would be understandable. I for one could see someone wanting to amplify that Chordy goodness unadulterated by altering the goodness with a non-Chord tubeness or such. If I wanted tubes, I'd bought a DAC with tubes thrown in, or something other than Chord. You might not see the necessity, but others might. It's just me, but I've never understood taking a perfectly great Chord sound and splashing mud over it. You have your opinions, I have mine.

Ah, but you haven't heard MY tubes!!!

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #8,720 of 22,516
you have not heard my solid state...

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #8,722 of 22,516
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #8,724 of 22,516
Interesting topic. I can understand those who might like to use an amp, for example tubes, to add a pleasing coloration. It is the others that I struggle to fathom who want a perfectly transparent amp to hear through. If the amp is perfectly transparent, then don't bother because the difference it makes will be perfectly zero, (unless of course you need it to drive speakers or something.)

Regarding amplifiers, I don't buy into the idea that non Chord amplifiers will all be like a wet carpet, obscuring the true Chord sound. There are plenty of good amps out there. Chord does not have any magic sauce that makes their amp much better than an amp from brand X.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #8,725 of 22,516
coincidence...

Just last night, I had my H2 connected to WA8 to utopia, hoping to add more depth to the "Chordy" sound. The base was too bloated and sluggish to the point of sounding distorted. I guess this is what they call bad synergy. It left me wanting to try the WA5. (Anyone want to buy my WA8?? Still under warranty~)

WA8 sounds much better alone and is still respectable, despite the shortcomings of the dac in it. Sounds kind of ordinary but somewhat more natural compared to H2. Definitely tubey... deeper with more depth and authority than H2. In comparison, H2 sounds technically superior, not to be negative but a bit artificial to my ears than WA8 or yggy, like all-cylinders-firing-throughout-the-audible-spectrum that just grabs your senses. Awesome with just about any hp.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #8,726 of 22,516
coincidence...

Just last night, I had my H2 connected to WA8 to utopia, hoping to add more depth to the "Chordy" sound. The base was too bloated and sluggish to the point of sounding distorted. I guess this is what they call bad synergy. It left me wanting to try the WA5. (Anyone want to buy my WA8?? Still under warranty~)

WA8 sounds much better alone and is still respectable, despite the shortcomings of the dac in it. Sounds kind of ordinary but somewhat more natural compared to H2. Definitely tubey... deeper with more depth and authority than H2. In comparison, H2 sounds technically superior, not to be negative but a bit artificial to my ears than WA8 or yggy, like all-cylinders-firing-throughout-the-audible-spectrum that just grabs your senses. Awesome with just about any hp.

absolutely zero reason to introduce an amp between the H2 and the utopia which is so efficient...IMHO a waste of time and effort and money

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #8,727 of 22,516
Interesting topic. I can understand those who might like to use an amp, for example tubes, to add a pleasing coloration. It is the others that I struggle to fathom who want a perfectly transparent amp to hear through. If the amp is perfectly transparent, then don't bother because the difference it makes will be perfectly zero, (unless of course you need it to drive speakers or something.)

Regarding amplifiers, I don't buy into the idea that non Chord amplifiers will all be like a wet carpet, obscuring the true Chord sound. There are plenty of good amps out there. Chord does not have any magic sauce that makes their amp much better than an amp from brand X.
Of course not. That's a given. Why would one buy an amp unless you have speakers or HPs which need more power to reach their full potential? The Sysvera, (can't remember the spelling), the HE-6 and a few others seem to require more drive. I don't have any of them, so I don't need an extra amp. But, if I did, I'd prefer an attempt by Chord to make an amp that complemented, rather than detracted from the original sound of the DAC. I'm still inclined to think that if one wants that warm sound, choose an apropriate DAC rather than the old 'silk purse' idea.

Nov 2, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #8,728 of 22,516
Mike-Ehrmantraut-Shakes-His-Head-Breaking-Bad.gif
dis3.gif

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #8,729 of 22,516
Another alternative option to using a tube amp to color the sound is viper4windows, the tube simulator and cure tech + add a dash of honey to the sound and it sounds really euphoric and enjoyable without any audible loss in transparency. Best of all , it's free!

The only person who isn't allowed to use it is wazzzup since he hates windows so much!

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #8,730 of 22,516
Don't need it, not looking for mud.:) I'm only interested in transparency.
tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back