Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 23, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #8,131 of 22,475
I think I trust Peter's ears more than mine.

Just for fun:

Not sure how much to trust youtube/microphone technology to deliver details and nuances, but all things being equal... My H2 definitely sounds better than this, so...

Sep 23, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #8,132 of 22,475
I’ll trust my own ears plus functionality and stay TT for desktop xlr out and ch1 as my portable. I liked ch2 much and await TT 2 as my desktop upgrade in a few years. But that’s just my take.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #8,137 of 22,475
Hi guys, I hope someone can give me some advice.

The power button in Hugo's 2 remote control does not turn on the unit, however it does work fine if I use it to turn off Hugo. Is this normal?

Thanks.
Yes, otherwise the battery would go flat when it was on standby waiting for the remote to turn it back on.
But it will come back on via the remote if the charger is connected, as standby power is available.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #8,139 of 22,475
I think I trust Peter's ears more than mine.

Just for fun:

Not sure how much to trust youtube/microphone technology to deliver details and nuances, but all things being equal... My H2 definitely sounds better than this, so...

Can only tell the difference mostly in tonality this way, i saw some of that reviewer's video, seems like he is mainly a speaker person and is still new in headphone, but he is one of the first guy to upload CH2 review video.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #8,140 of 22,475
I’ll trust my own ears plus functionality and stay TT for desktop xlr out and ch1 as my portable. I liked ch2 much and await TT 2 as my desktop upgrade in a few years. But that’s just my take.

I kinda wish the TT 2 will adopt a full desktop approach (like big desktop DAC), as the transportable section has been occupied by CH 2, I think it would be nice that way as the full desktop section right now is occupied by the DAVE which is un-affordable for some people.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #8,141 of 22,475
No I don't believe h they're saying that...it's earbuds that don't dully isolate, so you're more apt to turn up the volume against the competing sounds around you.
Dealing with ear damage, I had something strange happen to me about four and a half years ago. My regular HP's (Grado) cord was damaged, and I needed something to listen to while being dialysed. My son let me have a couple of scull candys that went through the wash; I was desparate. After listening to those c**p buds, I had a weird hearing problem for a few weeks. Everything in my left ear was a semitone sharp. If I was listening to speakers, it would try to average out, but voices or identicle but separate notes in each ear would be out of tune. It didn't help that my E,N, & T doctor said: "Oh blind people hear things others don't." But, in conclusion, I learned to be extremely careful with what goes in the ear, and how loud it isn't. I'd do a little further studdy before completely dismissing that video. Thanks @Light Man.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #8,142 of 22,475
Interesting, so basically we have a portable DAC that outperforms DAC design as desktop solution, I was actually thinking to upgrade to gumby from my mojo as portable listening is not my priority anymore, but maybe i should give this a try.

I think it does. :) That's the amazing thing about the H2...brilliant desktop solution that you can take with you! Using my FiiO X5 Mk 3 as a source to feed my Hugo 2 and absolutely stunned with what I'm hearing as I sit by the pool in my backyard! Something my other desktop setups really couldn't do. :p

Sep 24, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #8,143 of 22,475
I think it does. :) That's the amazing thing about the H2...brilliant desktop solution that you can take with you! Using my FiiO X5 Mk 3 as a source to feed my Hugo 2 and absolutely stunned with what I'm hearing as I sit by the pool in my backyard! Something my other desktop setups really couldn't do. :p
This is what swayed me to hugo2 over yggdrasil

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #8,144 of 22,475
Hi, is anyone able to reliably play DSD512 or PCM768 with the Hugo 2?

Not that there's any music of those rates of course and I prefer bit perfect but the box says these rates are supported and I get crackling when testing these rates.

I'm using Roon on an i7 which has no shortage of power for up-sampling to these rates and I'm only using High Speed Certified USB cables.

I've tried both WASAPI and ASIO on Win 10 Pro and both crackle at these max sample rates.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #8,145 of 22,475
Both my Win 10 i7 machines work perfectly with 768 kHz and DSD512 recordings. 768 kHz via JRiver, DSD512 via Foobar.

Crackles or ticks is a source issue, but I am surprised that a capable i7 is giving problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back