Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #8,146 of 22,475
Both my Win 10 i7 machines work perfectly with 768 kHz and DSD512 recordings. 768 kHz via JRiver, DSD512 via Foobar.

Crackles or ticks is a source issue, but I am surprised that a capable i7 is giving problems.

Thanks Rob. Hmmm, not sure what else to try. I'll try and do it without Roon up-sampling by sourcing some PCM768k or DSD512 music and see how that plays. Where do I find music of those sample rates?

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #8,148 of 22,475
Even native DSD256 music played via DoP is crackling for me.

I removed all hubs from the chain so it was just the Hugo 2 directly connected to the Surface Pro 4's USB port. All Roon DSP was turned off, so it was just bit perfect playback.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #8,149 of 22,475
Yes DSD256 DoP is Tx. as 705 kHz. If you get drop-outs, it's down to the source processor not being able to pack the DoP format in real-time properly. Using DSD native (not DoP) is easier on the processor, as the overhead is less. I don't know whether Roon supports that mode, but Hugo 2 via ASIO does.

The PCM 768 kHz music test test track was given to me on a no share basis, so far I have not seen any native 768 available. I will be publishing some 768k test recordings from the Davina ADC project, hopefully next year.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #8,150 of 22,475
Using DSD native (not DoP) is easier on the processor, as the overhead is less. I don't know whether Roon supports that mode, but Hugo 2 via ASIO does.

Roon does support ASIO and I'm testing ASIO now with the DSD512 recording linked above and still getting crackling.

I removed all hubs from the chain so it was just the Hugo 2 directly connected to the Surface Pro 4's USB port. All Roon DSP was turned off, so it was just bit perfect playback.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #8,151 of 22,475
I've just installed foobar and all the components (it's been a while since I've used it).

Still getting crackling with DSD256

Screenshot (1).png

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #8,153 of 22,475
Adjust your headroom in roon dsp, increase in increments from -3 t0 -3.5 4 etc till it stops. Also look at dsp dsd conversion settings. I Don’t use foo bar

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #8,154 of 22,475
Hey guys. Any LCD4 owners here, who could share some thoughts on the LCD4+Hugo2 combo?
the three most difficult to drive, lcd4, abyss, susvara may be challenged to scale properly. But will work

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #8,155 of 22,475
Yes DSD256 DoP is Tx. as 705 kHz. If you get drop-outs, it's down to the source processor not being able to pack the DoP format in real-time properly. Using DSD native (not DoP) is easier on the processor, as the overhead is less. I don't know whether Roon supports that mode, but Hugo 2 via ASIO does.

The PCM 768 kHz music test test track was given to me on a no share basis, so far I have not seen any native 768 available. I will be publishing some 768k test recordings from the Davina ADC project, hopefully next year.
I'm not sure whom else to ask. But how did you configure FB2K to output native DSD as opposed to DoP?

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #8,156 of 22,475

Tested it on my iMac today and I have no issues in Roon with up-sampling to PCM768kHz (just for test purposes) and native DSD256 music files (playback via DoP). So it's an issue with Windows 10 for me (for those high sample rates) but that's my problem not yours. Probably driver issues.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #8,157 of 22,475
Tested it on my iMac today and I have no issues in Roon with up-sampling to PCM768kHz (just for test purposes) and native DSD256 music files (playback via DoP). So it's an issue with Windows 10 for me (for those high sample rates) but that's my problem not yours. Probably driver issues.

I have a Intel i5 lap-top/tablet, and that sometimes won't play 192k without drop-outs. The solution is to set the jRiver .exe file to real time process priority (do this by opening task manager, click on details, locate the media app exe, right click, and then set priority - try high initially); but this can only be done when you actually use it, as windows forgets it afterwards... There are apps that can do this permanently, but I have not tried them.

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #8,158 of 22,475
This might be a dumb question for some of you experts, but...
If I connect my AK380 to H2 via toslink optical cable, I am pretty sure I am using the DAC function of the H2. I hope I am right :disappointed_relieved: Then, is there any sonic difference between using AK380 vs. labtop/tablet as the source? In other words, is the toslink connection better in terms of sound quality vs usb connection?

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #8,159 of 22,475
If I connect my AK380 to H2 via toslink optical cable, I am pretty sure I am using the DAC function of the H2. I hope I am right :disappointed_relieved: Then, is there any sonic difference between using AK380 vs. labtop/tablet as the source? In other words, is the toslink connection better in terms of sound quality vs usb connection?

The Hugo 2 only accepts digital signals, not analog ones. Funny you asked about optical vs usb, just last night I decided to pull out the optical cable that came with the Hugo 2 and hooked up to my gaming pc for a quick test. My previous attempts at listening to music from that pc using a lifeatec cable and the Hugo/Mojo left much to be desired, I felt it sounded too bright and wasn't engaging enough. Not sure if Rob improved the optical implementation over the one in Hugo/Mojo, but using the stock cable hooked up to my gaming pc it sounded amazing! Way better than it has any right to sound. I felt that when using optical I could get a better sense of height and depth and for whatever reason body and harmonics were greatly improved vs USB alone.

So long story short, there are differences and you may find yourself preferring the optical over USB or vice versa.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #8,160 of 22,475
Yes, that's right the AK will be transport only and the Hugo will handle the DAC/Amp side. In theory there should be no difference in sound quality, but in practice it could well be much better as you are eliminating any electrical interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back