Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #8,117 of 22,465
I believe that, due partially to the use of coupling caps (as a DC servo would be too complex for the design) the Mojo is tuned warm of neutral, very slightly. I don't find the sound to be muddy, but then a FiiO X7II with the AM3A sounds somewhat piercing to me with IEMs.
Makes sence. I like sound on the cold, somewhat bright and analitical. Other people such as Tyll hertsens seem to prefer rolled off dark sound, from my POV. Guess it's all taste. Except the Mojo had problems with timbre, the quality which makes individual instruments what they are.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #8,118 of 22,465
Fair enough in that case. I guess for me, most other DAPs sound fairly artificial now in comparison that I prefer the Mojo, and can tolerate its negative points more.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #8,119 of 22,465
Fair enough in that case. I guess for me, most other DAPs sound fairly artificial now in comparison that I prefer the Mojo, and can tolerate its negative points more.
Of course, the Mojo compared with with DAP out there, Mojo FGPA custom DAC is much better but just that it stood pale in comparison with its bigger brother Hugo 1 which is even more pleasing to my ears.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #8,122 of 22,465
Mojo is darker than the Hugo but surely not muddy in any way.....it is a matter of personal taste but Mojo is a fine product and many thought it better than the original Hugo...personally i preferred the hugo and really love the Hugo 2 but again personal preference

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #8,127 of 22,465
Sep 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #8,128 of 22,465
Any Roon and Windows 10 users here, using the ASIO driver?

I have max hardware buffer enabled and whenever I do any CPU intensive stuff, there's a small stutter. Even just launching Google Chrome, for example.

I have a Surface Pro 4 i7 with 8gb RAM and SSD and has everything up to date, both Windows and the latest Hugo2 drivers. And Roon of course.

I don't have these issues with WASAPI - I have other issues separately with WASAPI but I'm trying to work out why ASIO has these small stutters on CPU intensive tasks.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #8,129 of 22,465
I preferred it to my

To my ears, both are threatened. :wink:

Interesting, so basically we have a portable DAC that outperforms DAC design as desktop solution, I was actually thinking to upgrade to gumby from my mojo as portable listening is not my priority anymore, but maybe i should give this a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back