Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #8,103 of 22,475
I did once try to charge and listen with a 2A iPad charger plugged in, which was obviously insufficient, and the Hugo 2 went flat after some hours of listening even still.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #8,104 of 22,475
Hugo 1 has a more engaging and lively sound signature with better defined leading edges and Mojo is a more relaxing listen with a mid centric sound signature.

If you asked the average person to chose which dac they preferred I would think most would chose Mojo only because it’s sound signature is non offensive yet still musical.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #8,106 of 22,475
I thought it would be different with Chord Electronics but I'll probably never pre-order again.
Not to fault Chord because things do happen. But for these many reasons, I hope not to repeat this mistake. Which honestly, I never seem to learn.
1. Pre-order and wait because of (release) delays.
2. Greater chance of getting a faulty/flawed product with first batch. Which happened for me.
3. Than wait again for replacement because of availability issue. Going on six weeks now. I hope not, but who knows, it make take two months. :frowning2:

Update: My dealer just informed me that it shipped!!!
Seems like it's shipping from Buffalo NY, Chord Distribution and not from my dealer.
If John Franks or Rob Watts had anything to do with helping get this to me. Thank you. :)

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #8,107 of 22,475
Honestly, I didn't find the Mojo at all close to Hugo1. Muddy, undefined and dark-sounding. That's just me, however.

+1

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #8,108 of 22,475
Hugo 1 has a more engaging and lively sound signature with better defined leading edges and Mojo is a more relaxing listen with a mid centric sound signature.

If you asked the average person to chose which dac they preferred I would think most would chose Mojo only because it’s sound signature is non offensive yet still musical.
Does this apply only to the headphone out, or line out as well? I can understand if Mojo has been tweaked for more relaxing hp listening, but am very curious to hear about the LO, which should be linear I guess.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #8,109 of 22,475
Does this apply only to the headphone out, or line out as well? I can understand if Mojo has been tweaked for more relaxing hp listening, but am very curious to hear about the LO, which should be linear I guess.

LO is nothing more than a preset to a certain volume. Nothing is changed or bypassed. It's very different from conventional DAC/amp setups.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #8,111 of 22,475
So, Mojo's LO is dark and warm (or muddy) as well?

Yes, they sound exactly the same because they are. The implementation of the analogue stage is much simpler in Chord DACs compared to conventional designs and so there really is nothing to bypass in the analogue stage.

The tonality of the Mojo will be dark and muddy depending on who you ask and their perspective. Personally, I find the Mojo to sit in the same tonality pocket as the DAVE but it has less technical capability to dig in to the recording and is less clean and less dynamic. Compared to the Hugo2 (this is the Hugo2 thread) I find the Mojo less expansive and less incisive with its timing, but again, in the same overall tonal family. I haven't heard the Hugo1 BTW. For those that prefer a brighter tonality then the Mojo will sound dark and muddy, but it measures better and has less noise floor modulation than the Hugo1. Call it tuning, a newer WTA filter, a different analogue stage implementation, or whatever, but compared to brighter gear the Mojo is darker.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #8,112 of 22,475
In which way the same? Resolution wise Hugo 1 win Mojo and the overall clarity and transparency is way much better. The soundstage from Hugo 1 also much wider than the narrow Mojo.
Don't get me wrong, I got both Hugo 1 and Mojo not out there to bash Mojo, just that I love the sound of Hugo 1 more than my Mojo.
I always felt the Mojo was mainly to give great sound to midlevel sources on the go. At the time for example, the FiiO X5I was certainly taken up quite a bit by the Mojo. Hopefully, it may have steared a few more people to the joy of higher-end sound. But, for me, it just didn't touch the H1. It did what it was supposed to do, and no more. It's interesting how we wishfully compare Chord products in incongruous price levels. To me, they are what they are. I don't expect DAVE from Hugo2, and I expected what I heard from Mojo: a Good DAC for 1/4 the price of the Hugo1. The only real comparison and contrast in the Chord line, again, to me, is the two Hugos.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #8,115 of 22,475
I believe that, due partially to the use of coupling caps (as a DC servo would be too complex for the design) the Mojo is tuned warm of neutral, very slightly. I don't find the sound to be muddy, but then a FiiO X7II with the AM3A sounds somewhat piercing to me with IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back