Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #7,878 of 22,536
How does it compare to the Mojo. I tried them both and couldn't tell the difference.

Depends what you plug into them. :)

Coming from the Mojo (which I have very high regard for), the Hugo 2 was on another plain in terms of transparency, control, detail retrieval. The Mojo is on the darker/warmer side of neutral; while the Hugo was on the brighter side of things. the Hugo 2 comes right up the middle and gets much closer to purely neutral. The biggest differences I've found are when paired with the Empire Ears Zeus ADEL XRA or Audeze LCDi4.

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #7,882 of 22,536
Well, look on the bright side. If you can't hear the difference, you can save a lot of coinage. I wasn't so lucky; I liked both the H1 and H2 far more than the Mojo.

Lol, I agree! Except I preferred the warmer Mojo to the original Hugo. But the Hugo 2 hit the nail right on the head. Plus the added power was very much welcomed when driving harder to drive earphones like the LCDi4s or full sized headphones. :)

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #7,884 of 22,536
I am sure the susvara requires an amp with the H2....not the utopia though

Yup. Simply the Utopia sounded better to me with an amp. The ultra fine details didn't come out as well with the Utopia direct out of the Hugo 2, nor the soundstage.

I used the Vega and andromeda. Couldn't hear any difference.

Could be the music you listen to, but if the Mojo is good enough for you, as others have said, you'll save a lot of money.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7,886 of 22,536
Yup. Simply the Utopia sounded better to me with an amp. The ultra fine details didn't come out as well with the Utopia direct out of the Hugo 2, nor the soundstage.

Could be the music you listen to, but if the Mojo is good enough for you, as others have said, you'll save a lot of money.
^This. There's a good possibility I might return Hugo 2 and go back to a Mojo. I'm giving it two more weeks of 8-10hrs a day burn-in time, then if needed a swap for another unit with my dealer, and if results are still too bright sounding for my tastes I'll repurchase a Mojo. Win-win situation for me. Oh man, what to do with all that extra cash?!

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #7,889 of 22,536
This would be perfect I believe and would do justice to the Hugo2: http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa5le.html
Eeeee. Stock WA5LE doesn't have very deep bass IMO. And upgrading 300b power tubes to get you there will wreck your life. Stock WA22 has much lower and harder hitting bass but isn't quite as effortless sounding as stock WA5LE. Or, if you really want to get some deeper bass for the cheap but still amazing get a WA7tp with Sylvania JAN 5814 tubes.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #7,890 of 22,536
I'm actually liking sound with the LCD3:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TQlfUd0CuIHOtTlQ2
TQlfUd0CuIHOtTlQ2

AF1QipP-yYM9kUnfsHHwDksBMR3gb1SnZEuE5zeTDe2u_z6MBSEKpKTG9CEt3J3XXZbuQQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back