Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #7,891 of 22,546
Rob,

could you go into some detail on this when you have time? (specifically listening with headphones 90% of the time)

Thanks in advance.

I would also be very interested in some more detail on this. Is crossfeed employed in a different way between HUGO and HUGO 2?
In my experience with HUGO, crossfeed can sound interesting with some tracks. But where I know where for example double basses or the big drum or gong, actually were on stage it tends to mess things up and make the soundstage less realistic.
With crossfeed on HUGO I get the impression that things are pushed forward and bass is "artificially boosted"?
And some transparency and resolution seems to get lost too with my reference tracks.
But if cross feed on HUGO 2 works closer to my big infatuation since 6 weeks I am all ears: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2913JxRtQl3ZTvw0wz5C4D1/bbc-proms-in-binaural-sound'
The best and most realistic soundstage depth,width and height, via headphones,can imho,be heard via good BINAURAL and 3D mixing for example,as done for this year's Proms by the BBC.
One thing to think of, at least with my HUGO, DO NOT engage crossfeed.
The crossfeed will not work well with binaural miking.
Cross feed mainly raises bass and pushes the soundstage forward and imho does not sound as natural as true 3D and binaural. At its worst crossfeed just "monophonizes" the soundstage to my ears.
True binaural and 3D mixing opens up the soundstage in ALL spatial directions and adds transparency even at lower resolution because of fewer masking effects and clearly better than a flat wall of sound as plain stereo can sound like too often.
For an interesting comparison between plain stereo and binaural I recommend comparing for example Prom 72, yesterday's Prom of Mahler's mighty 6th with the Vienna Philharmonic both are available on the BBC Radio 3 site.
The link above will take you directly to binaural Proms.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #7,892 of 22,546
Lol, I agree! Except I preferred the warmer Mojo to the original Hugo. But the Hugo 2 hit the nail right on the head. Plus the added power was very much welcomed when driving harder to drive earphones like the LCDi4s or full sized headphones. :)
Understandable about the H1. It was bright; I just found the Mojo smeared over some timbral distincntion that I heard with H1. But, I can appreciate some who chose the warmer sound. But, the first track to which I listened with H2, a common rock tune by Saga, justified my purchase to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 8, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #7,894 of 22,546
Understandable about the H1. It was bright; I just found the Mojo smeared over some timbral distincntion that I heard with H1. But, I can appreciate some who chose the warmer sound. But, the first track to which I listened, a common rock tune by Saga, justified my purchase to me.
The only consumer DACs I have heard so far, that do not "smear" to some extent, is DAVE and a couple of unobtainable DCs DACs.

Sep 8, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #7,895 of 22,546
I'm not sure if h1 was especially bright in fact I find the bass more intense, mids more edgy which can come off as sharp, but leads to more distinct vocals, keyboards. No doubt h2 is more sophisticated smoother sq. but it comes down to preference and desired value. I could see folks getting either for different reasons, there is no doubt there is a market that won't buy used, they will belly up to ch2 as they should.

Concerning configuration of iem and hp. Better dacs and amps play hp better. So don't worry get the best hp or iem you like and slap it on. Or just what you got. Either way you are listening to transparent conversion.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #7,897 of 22,546
I spent a hour with a Dave for the first time yesterday, 30 mins through my LCDi4's and 30 mins through a pair of $20K Focal speakers. It was fantastic and I would love to own one, but much to my surprise it did not ruin the Hugo 2 for me. In every way it was better than the Hugo 2, as expected, but the 2 is still mighty fine. Stepping back to the Mojo is a different story all together though. I've never been a huge fan of the Mojo even though it is best in class, but the Dave definitely ruined it for me. In a noisy on the go environment the Mojo will still get the job done but in the silence of my office last night the enjoyment just was not there. The Hugo 2 may not be stackable but it's small enough that I won't settle for the Mojo to save a small amount of space.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #7,898 of 22,546
DJIHQobW4AIEOgo.jpg

For those interested in the Van Nuys case. It ooze quality as you would expect from a Van Nuys product, but you do pay for it. :)
Has a Velcro patch on the other side where you can stick your source to it, they also included some Velcro stickers as well as some silicon bands. I really like how the USB port end is extended so that it has space for cable organising for those wanting to use it on the go, very well thought out.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #7,899 of 22,546

For those interested in the Van Nuys case. It ooze quality as you would expect from a Van Nuys product, but you do pay for it. :)
Has a Velcro patch on the other side where you can stick your source to it, they also included some Velcro stickers as well as some silicon bands. I really like how the USB port end is extended so that it has space for cable organising for those wanting to use it on the go, very well thought out.
Looks great! Where did you order it?

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #7,900 of 22,546
I had a AK380 and currently owns WM1Z and Hugo 2, I have also tried both SP1000(SS and Cu). FWIW I didn't think either of the SPK was better than my WM1Z, just different.

It boils down to what sort of usage you are thinking of. If you are using the devices as stationary sources most of the time, then no question - get the Hugo 2, it is better than the SPK in its processing features (using crossfade with headphones is amazing) which in turn is better than the AK380. You only really want the AK380 or the SPK if you really need that one device that fits neatly into your pants back pocket.

I have a strong feeling that you'll end up with two bits of kits in the end - not because of the sound, but practicality. As the marketing tag line goes the Hugo 2 is transportable, to make it a portable player you'll be strapping bits and piece of stuff to it. I got the Hugo 2 to replace my Audiolab M-DAC to feed my Woo Audio WA2 as a stationary rig, and the possibility of using it for long travel trips (won't be much, but at least twice a year). For every day moving around I'm sticking with my WM1Z.
Thank you guys. That help me much!

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #7,901 of 22,546
Sep 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #7,904 of 22,546
Interesting, thanks for your thoughts. My impression, from reading what others had to say, was that the Hugo 2 vs. SP1000 was a matter of taste more than anything. So I find it interesting that you found the Hugo 2 to be clearly better. I think others have found the SP1000 to win out in treble, I gather you didn't find that to be the case?

I've been debating between them, to pair with a KSE1500, but haven't had a chance to listen to either. I think the Hugo 2 is interesting because the soundstage/imaging advantage (vs. the SP1000) should be all the more useful with IEMs. On the other hand, the SP1000 is obviously lots more portable.

Part of my debate is whether my AK120II might still be good enough for portable use (with the Hugo 2 for home use, and/or transportable stationary use), especially given that it's quite a bit smaller/lighter than the SP1000, not to mention much cheaper (should I lose it/drop it/have it stolen while on the go). Or whether the AK120II will offend my ears, if I become used to the sound of a Hugo 2 at home!

I stack Ak120ii stick to my kse1500's amp and those quite similar in size. That pack comes with me any time going out.
Mojo dac/amp was said to be best partner for kse1500, here in head-fi. But trial times x 2hour/each I have not bougt it. The sound is different than from ak120ii which I feel good neutral. Mojo is warmmer mid and a bit add the bass. It is a easy to hear but sq is a thing just different, can cant say better or not to myself and bcs I cant stack a mojo or have no way to put into pocket.
* To improve sq on the go, SP1000 is prefer.
* To improve sq for home use, then Hugo2.
At a turning point and dont know which way to go :)

Sep 8, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #7,905 of 22,546
Yup. Simply the Utopia sounded better to me with an amp. The ultra fine details didn't come out as well with the Utopia direct out of the Hugo 2, nor the soundstage.

I find basically very little to no improvements with the Utopias when I pair the Hugo 2 with a separate amplifier
I spent a hour with a Dave for the first time yesterday, 30 mins through my LCDi4's and 30 mins through a pair of $20K Focal speakers. It was fantastic and I would love to own one, but much to my surprise it did not ruin the Hugo 2 for me. In every way it was better than the Hugo 2, as expected, but the 2 is still mighty fine. Stepping back to the Mojo is a different story all together though. I've never been a huge fan of the Mojo even though it is best in class, but the Dave definitely ruined it for me. In a noisy on the go environment the Mojo will still get the job done but in the silence of my office last night the enjoyment just was not there. The Hugo 2 may not be stackable but it's small enough that I won't settle for the Mojo to save a small amount of space.

I happen to have both and the DAVE is simply the best DAC I've heard. But the Hugo2 holds it's own for sure to my ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back