Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #7,922 of 22,546
i still have cash left over from h2 and i want to improve mojo's sq but i can't figure out how. usb tweaks are out.

unless a high quality usb to optical convertor from mac air or high class optical cable from imac. air has no optical out. which is best? rob prefers optical.

these are my closing posts on h2 thread.:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7,923 of 22,546
I have just read that review, and on the whole it does get a positive review.
I did however have a deep sigh when I read 'Fans of Moon’s signature sound will be pleased with the tuning here: there is no lack of punch, no sense the MiND is short of intensity, but it has that more laid-back temperament of many of its stable-mates.'. Surely the sound signature is being provided by the 2Qute, and not the Moon device.
Apart from that statement, the Moon Neo Mind could be just what some Hugo 2 owners are looking for (connect NAS etc).
I shall wait to see what Chord announce at CES - JF has recently posted that the 2Go could be a very interesting launch at CES, so fingers crossed.

There are many who think a very good source, a top streamer, will make a difference to the overall sound. Look at Linn and Naim's range of streamers, power supplies at source 'may' make a difference as well as the DAC technology. HeadFi regular @whazzzup certainly believes his Antipodes streamer has taken level up significantly.

So maybe it matters, maybe it doesn't.

Unlike many, I have time for What Hifi. I went to their HQ for a blind test on supports. Sceptical a table would make any difference to CD players and amps, I left with the thought that four 'amateurs' all placed the racks in a noticeable order, wooden was best! So if they say source makes a difference on digital components, I'm open minded :)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #7,924 of 22,546
Hi Andrew,

How are you enjoying your Hugo 2? I still don't have mine (a 'gentlemans' agreement with my wife to wait until we sell our house).

I do own a sonore ultrarendu renderer which I think is great and will be partnering with H2 when I eventually get one (currently matched with Mojo).

Ade

Very much, it has made me rethink selling my Sen HD800 as adding crossfeed has narrowed the overwide HD800 width and added a perceived mid bass to music I felt a bit distant on. I also love Hugo 1 on iems for the livlier sound. Both are excellent with the Ether C's.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #7,925 of 22,546
Hi Andrew,

How are you enjoying your Hugo 2? I still don't have mine (a 'gentlemans' agreement with my wife to wait until we sell our house).

I do own a sonore ultrarendu renderer which I think is great and will be partnering with H2 when I eventually get one (currently matched with Mojo).

Ade

Hi apmusson
how much better is your mojo with the UR?
I'm using the mR with my Hugo2, the Hugo2 does significantly sound much cleaner than with the USB from my iMac
The noise, what noise? The width, depth & height are much better with the mR
good luck with the house
Cheers!

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #7,926 of 22,546
Hi apmusson
how much better is your mojo with the UR?
I'm using the mR with my Hugo2, the Hugo2 does significantly sound much cleaner than with the USB from my iMac
The noise, what noise? The width, depth & height are much better with the mR
good luck with the house
Cheers!
@sc2806
I also have a Microrendu and recently bought the Ultrarendu. Before I received it I was wondering what could be improved over the Microrendu but it is a definite step up revealing amazing micro detail and spaciousness in the music. I won't be adding any more in this thread but PM me if you have any more questions.

Ade

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #7,929 of 22,546
Hi. Sorry if this has been answered as I have just found this thread. I would use the 'search this thread' function, but I can't see it.

My question please is about the Hugo 2 battery. I believe the Hugo 2 uses Lithium Polymer batteries. I think this is the same as in the Mojo.

Does then the Hugo suffer from some of the charging noise which can occur in the Mojo. I.E. from noisy chargers. Hissing and whining is well known with the Mojo, (with a noisy charger).

Sep 12, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #7,930 of 22,546
No ch1 and ch2 no noise charging or not.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #7,931 of 22,546
Speaking of power........ I know Chord recommends that you use the power adapter that shipped with the Hugo 2, but I would like a 2nd adapter for travel. I wouldn't think it should matter. Has anyone experienced any issues using other USB chargers? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,932 of 22,546
Stick with a chord adapter till warranty is done, experiment after. They are like 50 cad I have two just for that purpose

Sep 12, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #7,933 of 22,546
Speaking of power........ I know Chord recommends that you use the power adapter that shipped with the Hugo 2, but I would like a 2nd adapter for travel. I wouldn't think it should matter. Has anyone experienced any issues using other USB chargers? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Currently I'm using a 2A PSU that has a fixed wire output terminating in a micro USB plug. It has a large ferrite core added to the output wire and is the only PSU I've had that has a clean enough output to silence my Mojo so I have no issues using it with the Hugo 2 as well.

The Hugo 2 PSU is actually still in the box for the moment.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #7,934 of 22,546
Hello All,

Can anyone please recommend an integrated amplifier for connecting the Hugo2 using either 3.5mm/3.5mm cable or 3.5mm/rca cable.

I'm looking to connect other devices to the integrated amplifier (LG SmartTV, 4TB HDD USB drive (with flac and .wv files), PS4, and directtv DVR)

I've read good reviews on Rotel RA-1592 because of AptX (stream from iPhone) and Parasound Halo because of bass control.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back