Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 12, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #7,936 of 22,546
Speaking of power........ I know Chord recommends that you use the power adapter that shipped with the Hugo 2, but I would like a 2nd adapter for travel. I wouldn't think it should matter. Has anyone experienced any issues using other USB chargers? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Any charger with less than 2.1A output will only charge at half the rate.

Hello All,

Can anyone please recommend an integrated amplifier for connecting the Hugo2 using either 3.5mm/3.5mm cable or 3.5mm/coax cable.

I'm looking to connect other devices to the integrated amplifier (LG SmartTV, 4TB HDD USB drive (with flac and .wv files), PS4, and directtv DVR)

I've read good reviews on Rotel RA-1592 because of AptX (stream from iPhone) and Parasound Halo because of bass control.

Don't you mean 3.5mm to RCA? In my experience, the integrated amplifiers with a lot of features are of poor sound quality. I reckon you need to start a dedicated thread to decide how you're going to hook everything up.

Sep 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #7,940 of 22,546
A bit OT, but I think I have to apologize for possibly wrongly blaming HUGO for a connection problem I have been encountering recently.
Unless A DAC can cause problems like the ones I am having?
Now the problem happens via both my HUGO and Benchmark DACs.
I wonder if there is anybody here who could guess what is going on and possibly advice me how to solve the problem?
I have been plugging in and out both dacs frequently listening to the BBC Proms. But now neither of them plays the Proms any longer.
The problem seems to be with one and ONLY ONE of my laptops, because both Dacs play music via links to Youtube and all my downloads but NOT BBC Radio 3.
I have checked by plugging in my old laptop and it works fine also with the Proms.
I have also checked that the DACs are connected in Audio midi and sound settings, but whenever I try to play anything via Radio 3 I only get sound via the in-built speakers of my big main MBP although the audio setting is showing HUGO or DAC 2.
I was expecting serious withdrawal symptoms with the Proms officiallly over, but this is premature.
There are still many concerts up online.
Cheers Christer

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7,941 of 22,546
A bit OT, but I think I have to apologize for possibly wrongly blaming HUGO for a connection problem I have been encountering recently.
Unless A DAC can cause problems like the ones I am having?
Now the problem happens via both my HUGO and Benchmark DACs.
I wonder if there is anybody here who could guess what is going on and possibly advice me how to solve the problem?
I have been plugging in and out both dacs frequently listening to the BBC Proms. But now neither of them plays the Proms any longer.
The problem seems to be with one and ONLY ONE of my laptops, because both Dacs play music via links to Youtube and all my downloads but NOT BBC Radio 3.
I have checked by plugging in my old laptop and it works fine also with the Proms.
I have also checked that the DACs are connected in Audio midi and sound settings, but whenever I try to play anything via Radio 3 I only get sound via the in-built speakers of my big main MBP although the audio setting is showing HUGO or DAC 2.
I was expecting serious withdrawal symptoms with the Proms officiallly over, but this is premature.
There are still many concerts up online.
Cheers Christer
A couple of days ago someone on Facebook posted that suddenly they had lost the ability to see files via BBC Iplayer. The reply was that the BBC had started to get more clever about excluding people outside the UK, plus non-subscribers. Maybe your old laptop has not been updated with this enhancement, that blocks your access.

Sep 13, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #7,942 of 22,546
A couple of days ago someone on Facebook posted that suddenly they had lost the ability to see files via BBC Iplayer. The reply was that the BBC had started to get more clever about excluding people outside the UK, plus non-subscribers. Maybe your old laptop has not been updated with this enhancement, that blocks your access.
Thanks for your response. But if they are blocking ,why does it still work via the built-in speakers on my main MBP?
I just watched Finlandia from the Last Night of the Proms.
"non-subscriber"?
I'l try by subscribing and see if that works and helps. I signed in but that did not help either unfortunately.
Hugo shows up in audio settings as chosen DAC and light goes on on HUGO, but sound from speakers of my MBP only. And whenever they deny you access, they normally tell you that "such and such" is only available in Britain.
Very annoying.
Je souffre!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #7,943 of 22,546
My review of the Chord Hugo 2: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19170

hugo2zeus.jpg

Sep 13, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #7,944 of 22,546
Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #7,945 of 22,546
For a professional Hugo 2 review which I trust see Hifi-Choice (UK) latest magazine where David Price gives the Hugo 2 the "Editor's Choice" accolade. David Price to me is THE master reviewer for one of the few UK magazines which I trust and subscribe to (the other being Hifi World (UK)).

The review is obviously very positive and confirms the view of many (most!) Hugo 2 owners on this thread.

Congratulations to the Chord Electronics team!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #7,946 of 22,546
For a professional Hugo 2 review which I trust see Hifi-Choice (UK) latest magazine where David Price gives the Hugo 2 the "Editor's Choice" accolade. David Price to me is THE master reviewer for one of the few UK magazines which I trust and subscribe to (the other being Hifi World (UK)).

The review is obviously very positive and confirms the view of many Hugo 2 owners on this thread.

Congratulations to the Chord Electronics team!
Do you happen to have an on-line link?

Sep 13, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #7,947 of 22,546
Sep 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #7,948 of 22,546
Sorry it takes some time before Hi-fi Choice reviews are available for free online, I would assume Chord will post on their website in due time. To me the review does not give that much additional info compared to what I have read on this thread in terms of positive comments, giving comments about the excellent timing and detail layering sounding almost "analogue" like a proper turntable (ie not digital). For Hugo 2 owners (well me) the review confirms what I hear, ie what said before and that the Hugo 2 is not bright like some say, only transparent with more bass, clarity, melody, imaging, remarkable low level detail, texture etc etc. An excellent review though (you can suscribe for a digital magazine by the way). Well worth reading the complete review though.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #7,950 of 22,546
Sorry it takes some time before Hi-fi Choice reviews are available for free online, I would assume Chord will post on their website in due time. To me the review does not give that much additional info compared to what I have read on this thread in terms of positive comments, giving comments about the excellent timing and detail layering sounding almost "analogue" like a proper turntable (ie not digital). For Hugo 2 owners (well me) the review confirms what I hear, ie what said before and that the Hugo 2 is not bright like some say, only transparent with more bass, clarity, melody, imaging, remarkable low level detail, texture etc etc. An excellent review though (you can suscribe for a digital magazine by the way). Well worth reading the complete review though.
Thanks for the info. That's one reason why I haven't writen a review. What more could I say that hasn't been said already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back