Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 21, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #7,381 of 22,475
many thanks,

i tried hd800/s pads too rough for me. i have beyer dt880 great but would sound too similar to t1. tried oppo great but expensive maybe a go ahead.

with regards to dap i'm finding it hard to understand if using a 1000 pound A&K player makes any difference to a cheap 50 pound dap? both are feeding digital usb. if dap has tidal support does it over or undersample the tidal stream? umm questions.
@Peter Hyatt has the T1. I would expect the T1 to better the dt880, so you should try a demo - don't dismiss the T1 so easily.

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #7,383 of 22,475
i'm leaning towards a headphone upgrade leaving the delights of usb tweaking behind me for now. i trust in h2 to take care of that. any knowledge of pm1? thanks
Hi mk over the weekend I've been comparing the almost universally acclaimed senhieser hd 650 with my aq nighthawks. At first I liked the hd650, they gave me some of the excitement and dynamics I thought were missing in my nighthawks. However, listening for longer periods wth the hd650 I noticed the bass was a fair bit lighter than the nighthawks and they sounded a little hard and edgy in comparison. If anything the experience has made me appreciate just how good the nighthawks are.

Robs watts recommendation for mr speakers aeon might also be worth a try.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #7,384 of 22,475
By all accounts the source is important. Hugo2 is a high caliber dac and should be fed by high quality equipment for it to realize it's full potential. I would be looking at gear from the likes of Antipodes and SOtM. It is not really worth going for anything less sophistical since the Hugo2 is so good that any gains are then doubtful.

Something like this for a low price might however be worth an audition: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/sotm4/1.html

:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

IMHO you are exaggerating a bit here.
I don't think the combination of H2 with anything less than a high end streamer is a waste of Hugo's potential.

Especially since the question was aiming at DAPs. So a transportable unit is desired.
Many have stated using shanling m1 and being happy with it.
For the asking price it is definitely worth a try. This little thing is very versatile...

Cheers

Aug 21, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #7,385 of 22,475
I just got my hands on a Hugo2 and I'm going to use an iPhone -> Hugo2 for portable listening

Is there a simple short cable for connecting both together? I find the CCK adapter bulky and I would prefer a simpler elegant solution

The only cable I've seen is this:
https://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Problem is: The lightning portion of the cable is wide/big and it cannot fully be inserted into my iPhone (with a case)

Aug 21, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #7,386 of 22,475
I use DBPowerAmp. It also can be programed to do simple or acurate rips. And also, if there is a bad piece of a CD, it will try to rip it frame by frame. Once, I had a disc with some bad sectors, and set it to turn off the computer when it was done and went to bed. Turned out well in the morning when I listened to it. I don't know about the other program, but, DBPA has a 21-day full-functional trial. Maybe, try them both.

I was looking for a automated ripping solution, since lately most of my music purchases are used CDs and coincidentally I found an article comparing EAC to DBPoweramp.
It is in german but I am gonna post it for those who are interested, anyway.
Autotranslate should give good results.

http://www.fairaudio.de/dwt/artikel...it-eac-exact-audio-copy-und-dBpoweramp-1.html

Cheers

Aug 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #7,387 of 22,475
I was looking for a automated ripping solution, since lately most of my music purchases are used CDs and coincidentally I found an article comparing EAC to DBPoweramp.
It is in german but I am gonna post it for those who are interested, anyway.
Autotranslate should give good results.

http://www.fairaudio.de/dwt/artikel...it-eac-exact-audio-copy-und-dBpoweramp-1.html

Cheers
The article asks:
"wozu benötigt man separate software
zum ripping?"

Das benötigt man eigentlich nicht, imho.
In my admittedly limited experience there is nothing wrong with ripping at slowest ie maximum error correction, speed from a mac into Itunes as non compressed aiff.If you want an as accurate copy as technically possible forget alac.
Aiff and wav are noncompressed.
But remember,you can't get more than a pint out of a pint bottle.
A copy containing the full information of a 16/44.1 file is all you can get anyway,right?
If you want to upsample that file copy later you can do so in software like Pure Music or Audirvana for example.
I see little reason to use the program exact copy.
Correct me if I am wrong. I have to admit I have very few rbcd quality rips.
But when I compare the few I have with the rbcd via headphones or my electrostatic speakers they sound virtually identical to me, ie the same rather "freeze dried digital" as cds and I am only using my MBP to rip.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #7,388 of 22,475
I just got my hands on a Hugo2 and I'm going to use an iPhone -> Hugo2 for portable listening

Is there a simple short cable for connecting both together? I find the CCK adapter bulky and I would prefer a simpler elegant solution

The only cable I've seen is this:
https://penonaudio.com/Lightning-Pure-Silver-Decoding-Cable

Problem is: The lightning portion of the cable is wide/big and it cannot fully be inserted into my iPhone (with a case)

There is a $8 cable with the apple chip in it at amazon. I do NOT know if it works with the iOS update. We did not update our phones and it works great and has for months.

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #7,389 of 22,475
The article asks:
"wozu benötigt man separate software
zum ripping?"

Das benötigt man eigentlich nicht, imho.
In my admittedly limited experience there is nothing wrong with ripping at slowest ie maximum error correction, speed from a mac into Itunes as non compressed aiff.If you want an as accurate copy as technically possible forget alac.
Aiff and wav are noncompressed.
But remember,you can't get more than a pint out of a pint bottle.
A copy containing the full information of a 16/44.1 file is all you can get anyway,right?
If you want to upsample that file copy later you can do so in software like Pure Music or Audirvana for example.
I see little reason to use the program exact copy.
Correct me if I am wrong. I have to admit I have very few rbcd quality rips.
But when I compare the few I have with the rbcd via headphones or my electrostatic speakers they sound virtually identical to me, ie the same rather "freeze dried digital" as cds and I am only using my MBP to rip.

Well seems like Redbook rips aren't your cup of tea, then. In your argumentation you take it as a given, that all CD ripping programs extract all information. Not sure if thats correct.
I am no expert in this area and can only speak of my experience.
I ripped my collection from back in the day and am very happy with the resulting SQ.
Needles to say that all of my collection is trash in your eyes anyway, so I won't go into detail :D
What I will say is that EAC was abled to get flawless rips from scratched CDs other programs failed completely, so there is that...

Cheers

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #7,390 of 22,475
In the 90's video started to use digital audio for transmission, notably NICAM, which was 32 kHz. So in the 90's it was essential for a DAC to support 32 kHz with NICAM inputs; but nobody today transmits at 32 kHz (and I don't know of any professional recordings that were done in 32 kHz natively either as I understand it was a transmission format). The SPDIF inputs will actually still work with 32 kHz, but I have not included a SR light for that as it won't get used today. Indeed, 26 kHz to 45.2 kHz is displayed as red and will work fine on the SPDIF inputs.

USB only works with 44.1/48 up to 705.6/768, 32 kHz is not supported. I do not know about Apple, but on my Win 10 it clearly states 44.1 to 768, and 32 kHz is not a valid sample rate. For SR below 44.1, you will need to get your computer to convert to 44.1 kHz.

Thank you for your comment.

I don't know much about Windows...
Recentry, Windows 10 Creators Update includes a new USB Audio 2.0 class driver. Using that device driver there was 32kHz in the sampling rate menu. So it's not only mac?
I checked it with 2Qute.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #7,392 of 22,475
Aug 21, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #7,393 of 22,475
That cable will not work with the newer versions of IOS unfortunately. Look for one with MFI certification so it will work with future updates on Apple products.

upload_2017-8-21_9-54-53.png

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #7,394 of 22,475

Users who are viewing this thread

Back