Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #7,368 of 22,467
does anyone have experience of oppo pm 1 with hugo/hugo2. it's a headphone on my shortlist for the near future. cheers mk.

:headphones::headphones::headphones:

also does the quality of a dap matter as a source for h2. for e.g. would an a and k 300 necessarily feed a better signal quality than a shanling m1? or do you need to take into account the whole topology of the dap?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #7,369 of 22,467
does anyone have experience of oppo pm 1 with hugo/hugo2. it's a headphone on my shortlist for the near future. cheers mk.

also does the quality of a dap matter as a source for h2. for e.g. would an a and k 300 necessarily feed a better signal quality than a shanling m1? or do you need to take into account the whole topology of the dap?

By all accounts the source is important. Hugo2 is a high caliber dac and should be fed by high quality equipment for it to realize it's full potential. I would be looking at gear from the likes of Antipodes and SOtM. It is not really worth going for anything less sophistical since the Hugo2 is so good that any gains are then doubtful.

Something like this for a low price might however be worth an audition: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/sotm4/1.html

:trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #7,370 of 22,467
i'm leaning towards a headphone upgrade leaving the delights of usb tweaking behind me for now. i trust in h2 to take care of that. any knowledge of pm1? thanks

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #7,371 of 22,467
i'm leaning towards a headphone upgrade leaving the delights of usb tweaking behind me for now. i trust in h2 to take care of that. any knowledge of pm1? thanks

I am not sure about that one. If I were you I would make a shortlist and make an effort to audition the cans. (These are expensive items so it is worth making the effort.) I would use something widely acknowledged to be excellent like the Beyerdynamic T1 or Sennheiser 800S as a reference and then see how others stack up, or you could just get either one of those cans, it would be hard to go wrong with those.

You can save USB tweaking for another day, but at some stage it might be worth giving it a try. There is a lot out there to discover and enjoy. A good tube headphone amp might be something you might also like to experience some day.

Have fun, sounds like you are having a great time and your dealer is really doing a great job. Enjoy your Hugo2. I really like the open an enthusiastic way you approach this and share your experiences. Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #7,372 of 22,467
many thanks,

i tried hd800/s pads too rough for me. i have beyer dt880 great but would sound too similar to t1. tried oppo great but expensive maybe a go ahead.

with regards to dap i'm finding it hard to understand if using a 1000 pound A&K player makes any difference to a cheap 50 pound dap? both are feeding digital usb. if dap has tidal support does it over or undersample the tidal stream? umm questions.

Aug 20, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #7,373 of 22,467
i have beyer dt880 great but would sound too similar to t1.

I don't think so. I think the T1 is an entirely different ballgame from the DT880. At least give the T1 a listen before assuming it is like the Dt880.

Regarding dap, read some reviews.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antipodes/1.html
"I’ll say it loud 'n' plain. The Antipodes DS Reference sounds better than the Apple box by a significant margin"
"The significant sonic delta between ameliorated consumer-grade computer and DS Reference makes intuitive sense. The former can be tricked out with external bits and bobs in a bid to correct jitter after the digital audio horse has already bolted – but it won’t match Antipodes performance. The latter runs a custom power supply, firmware-tweaked hard drive and heavily customized operating system to ensure after-market correction isn’t as necessary. Its physicality might not be as slick as offerings from Aurender or Lumin but the Antipodes has CD ripping and wired control on its side. Moreover the DS Reference sets a new standard in digital audio transports by which all others will be judged. Game on!"

How does it make the sound better? I have no idea, I am not an engineer. I just got a fancy power cable that makes a major difference for my speaker system. How does it do it? I have no idea, but I know that it does.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sotm2/1.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/sotm3/1.html

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #7,374 of 22,467
past few days I was comparing the coaxial, optical and USB input of Hugo and mojo. coaxial route with two ferrites at each though sounded clean but somehow had flat presentation without much depth, same coaxial was then fed to coaxial to optical converter and then to hugo. this way there was much better depth perception as compared to coaxial. lastly usb input was tested via a short micro cable having two small ferrites from an Android . I would say the usb route sounded far more fluid and cleaner. I used uapp app with maximum supported buffer in bit perfect mode.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #7,375 of 22,467
I found a Schiit Wyrd made a significant difference to the original Hugo, but I haven't noticed any significant differences between transports with the Hugo 2 so far. If a Hugo 2 owner were considering, say, upgrading from the HD800 to the Utopia (a question I've seen quite a bit lately) then I'd say spend the money on that upgrade rather than USB tweaks in this case.

Anyhow, my Hugo 2 video review was getting quite long, so here is the first part.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #7,376 of 22,467
Sony Walkman signature series nw-wnz1 is retailing for 2699 and is near chord hugo 2 price

I have the WM1Z and I'm in the processing of trying to get my hands on a H2 with the primary aim to use it to replace my ageing Audiolab M-DAC, maybe when I do get one I can give some impressions.....

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #7,377 of 22,467
I too think that there are no problems. I am sure that I have read a post stating that everything below 44.1, is treated as 44.1. @Rob Watts is the best person to provide the definitive answer.

In the 90's video started to use digital audio for transmission, notably NICAM, which was 32 kHz. So in the 90's it was essential for a DAC to support 32 kHz with NICAM inputs; but nobody today transmits at 32 kHz (and I don't know of any professional recordings that were done in 32 kHz natively either as I understand it was a transmission format). The SPDIF inputs will actually still work with 32 kHz, but I have not included a SR light for that as it won't get used today. Indeed, 26 kHz to 45.2 kHz is displayed as red and will work fine on the SPDIF inputs.

USB only works with 44.1/48 up to 705.6/768, 32 kHz is not supported. I do not know about Apple, but on my Win 10 it clearly states 44.1 to 768, and 32 kHz is not a valid sample rate. For SR below 44.1, you will need to get your computer to convert to 44.1 kHz.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #7,378 of 22,467
I have read some reviews that the Hugo 2 isn't that much better than the Hugo 1, just slight improvements. So would it be better to just keep using the Hugo 1 as semi-portable DAC (I mainly use it for my iPad Pro around the house) if the differences are only minor? Or are those reviews not correct?

"Hugo 2 isn't that much better than the Hugo 1, just slight improvements."

"You gotta be kidding me" is a common North American colloquialism, but over the pond we say "you're having a laugh". Both may be applied in this instance...

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #7,379 of 22,467
I found a Schiit Wyrd made a significant difference to the original Hugo, but I haven't noticed any significant differences between transports with the Hugo 2 so far. If a Hugo 2 owner were considering, say, upgrading from the HD800 to the Utopia (a question I've seen quite a bit lately) then I'd say spend the money on that upgrade rather than USB tweaks in this case.

Anyhow, my Hugo 2 video review was getting quite long, so here is the first part.

Left me hangin'. Clearly spoken, and well explained for the features. Can't wait to hear the next part. Curious as to where you'll go from here.

Aug 21, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #7,380 of 22,467

I remember that there were posts on the mojo thread, stating that the PM3 had great synergy with the Mojo, for those who couldn't afford the PM1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back