Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 20, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #7,351 of 22,546
actually j river automatically prompts if the sample rate is not supported by dac and asks to upsample to suitable rate . the problem is only for few ripped movies having audio codec with 32khz sample rates. I don't think there are pcm music files having 32khz native sample rates, even if there are, sound quality must be poor.

Aug 20, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #7,352 of 22,546
I think the answer is that Hugo2 does not support native 32kHz. I believe it up-samples it and can therefore play it back. I don't think there are any problems.
I too think that there are no problems. I am sure that I have read a post stating that everything below 44.1, is treated as 44.1. @Rob Watts is the best person to provide the definitive answer.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #7,353 of 22,546
I have read some reviews that the Hugo 2 isn't that much better than the Hugo 1, just slight improvements. So would it be better to just keep using the Hugo 1 as semi-portable DAC (I mainly use it for my iPad Pro around the house) if the differences are only minor? Or are those reviews not correct?

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #7,354 of 22,546
I have read some reviews that the Hugo 2 isn't that much better than the Hugo 1, just slight improvements. So would it be better to just keep using the Hugo 1 as semi-portable DAC (I mainly use it for my iPad Pro around the house) if the differences are only minor? Or are those reviews not correct?
In my view yes, having 2 hugo 1 and 1 hugo 2, i use normally what i get first.. ultimately there seems some consensus that h2 lies in between h1 and dave (nearer to h1). Hence the question is how much it is worth the differemnce. From sn user interface h2 is certainly much better.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #7,355 of 22,546
There is no consensus - some people say that the improvement is marginal, others say that there is a much larger improvement, and that the Hugo 2 approaches the DAVE.
The only way that you can get a valid answer to your question, is to demo the Hugo 2 yourself.
If you rely solely on the opinions posted in reviews, you will be making your decisions based on the individual biases, preferences, hearing, headphone types, etc......., and you will always risk making a decision that you later regret.

Aug 20, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #7,356 of 22,546
There are plenty of classical music test tracks on this site, in multiple formats, which is a bonus. http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html

I use several of those as test tracks with every new piece of HI FI equipment I audition.
Trondheimsolistene In "Folk Style" and "Nidaros" are two of my reference albums. I did the photography for both.
4 full days on each project.
Nothing compares to actually having been at sessions for knowing what IS, accurate sound and what is NOT, when comparing DACs, headphones or other equipment.
"In Folk Style" is an album with rather close mic'd Chamber Orchestra strings recorded in a village church. And imho about as close to real as possible with DXD when recorded . And the same goes for "Nidaros" which is an album of choral music recorded in the much larger acoustic of Nidaros cathedral in Norway.
In his somewhat puzzling review of DAVE John Atkinson of Stereophile used another very realistic recording by Morten Lindberg, Beethoven's both majestic and jazzy, last Piano Sonata. The first movement of it is also available on the 2L test track site in multiple formats.
The puzzling thing with Atkinson's review is that he chose the MQA and SACD versions ,instead of the masterfile.
Like Rob does in his DACs ,Morten includes DSD but finds it "sweet and nice" but less accurate than DXD.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #7,357 of 22,546
Enjoying H2 (well beyond Mojo) with MacBook Pro, Audirvana Plus and Beyer headphones.
I am loving the hi res downloads. With H2, the music appears "opened up" even more. I am grateful for the recommendations of Audirvana Plus.

Besides this, I have CDs ripped into iTunes (ALAC standard).

Is there anything (software?) I should consider regarding ripping CDs other than entering them into iTunes as ALAC?

Even if only for the placebo effect? :o2smile:

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #7,358 of 22,546
Enjoying H2 (well beyond Mojo) with MacBook Pro, Audirvana Plus and Beyer headphones.
I am loving the hi res downloads. With H2, the music appears "opened up" even more. I am grateful for the recommendations of Audirvana Plus.

Is there anything (software?) I should consider regarding ripping CDs other than entering them into iTunes as ALAC?

I use ExactAudioCopy, which was recommended on various forums.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/
I only use the basis functionality - but have set it up to prioritise an exact copy, rather than fast ripping, so consequently ripping can be slower than people are used to (but the benefit is an exact copy of the music data).
If the disc is too badly scratched, at least you will get the highest accuracy possible - but beware that the more the disc is scratched, the longer the time required for the error checking algorithms to do their work.
A good disc will take just a few minutes to rip, but a badly scratched disc can take a couple of hours, or maybe fail completely.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #7,359 of 22,546
All the reviews and opinions leave the matter ambiguous. My opinion is that the Hugo2 is more dimensional in terms of stage depth, instrument separation and attack. It also tends to pull details out of music from i.e., the sixties, that are berried in the mix. In short, I think there is a sizable difference. But, other people of equal (or better) knowledge say there's a small one. Probably doesn't help much, but I tried.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #7,360 of 22,546
IMG_0589.JPG
I use ExactAudioCopy, which was recommended on various forums.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/
I only use the basis functionality - but have set it up to prioritise an exact copy, rather than fast ripping, so consequently ripping can be slower than people are used to (but the benefit is an exact copy of the music data).
If the disc is too badly scratched, at least you will get the highest accuracy possible - but beware that the more the disc is scratched, the longer the time required for the error checking algorithms to do their work.
A good disc will take just a few minutes to rip, but a badly scratched disc can take a couple of hours, or maybe fail completely.

Thanks!

I don't mind the time if it means getting the most out of the CDs.

On airline enjoying H2 and family.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #7,361 of 22,546

I use DBPowerAmp. It also can be programed to do simple or acurate rips. And also, if there is a bad piece of a CD, it will try to rip it frame by frame. Once, I had a disc with some bad sectors, and set it to turn off the computer when it was done and went to bed. Turned out well in the morning when I listened to it. I don't know about the other program, but, DBPA has a 21-day full-functional trial. Maybe, try them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back