Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 31, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #6,526 of 22,475
Curious what the measured dB level is at white with the HE-500 and HE-400.
Depends on what tracks youre listening though. But i often use eq and i lose about 4db of gain for compensation. This is what i do with the lcd4rev1 H2 pairing Screenshot_20170731-134646.jpg

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #6,528 of 22,475
Hi, I'm curious about drivers and Windows 10 (Creators Update).
First thing, I only need Windows10_Creators_Driver768kHz.zip found on this page : https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo-2/, is that right ?
Second thing, I read with a the Mojo a user had an issue with steam sound : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-issue-solutions-thread.788913/#post-12126994
Do you happen to know if it also may happen with the Hugo 2 ?
Last thing : how to setup the Hugo 2 with windows 10, drivers and settings wise ?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Jul 31, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #6,529 of 22,475
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #6,531 of 22,475
Hi All,

Let me introduce shortly, as this is my first post on this forum. My name is Tomek and I live in Warsaw Poland.

After being positively surprised by the Chord Mojo abilities, which I heard in the shop, I auditioned Chord Hugo 2 and got one as both headphone and main system device dac/preamp.

I also got FIIO X5 third gen as supposed transport for SD cards and Spotify.

Hugo 2 is wonderful sounding device but I have connectivity issues, as Hugo 2 attached proprietary USB cables (both white in my model) are not working properly. There is annoying clipping on both USB cables in every couple of seconds attached (depending on the source to either my computer or FIIO X5 third gen). This issue does not occur when using FIIO USB cable (standard USB to micro USB) but that cable is not suitable to connect Hugo to FIIO but only to computer.

What micro USB cable and standard USB to micro USB would you recommend for Chord Hugo 2?

I auditioned Chord Hugo 2 with my old FIIO X5 first gen connected to coaxial out and it works perfectly. However the same FIIO coax cable that works for first gen X5 is not working for X5 third gen and Hugo 2 - so be aware.

Also FIIO X5 III gen android system is big mess in my unit, it is very slow, often collapses, and there are issues to connect it to computer in storage mode.

In the end until I find good micro usb – to connect FIIO X5 third gen to Hugo 2 the only way to connect FIIO X 5 III gen to H2 is by bluetooth, but it works nicely but only up to circa 2 meters of distance between the (then the signal starts drooping).

Jul 31, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #6,532 of 22,475
Hi All,

Let me introduce shortly, as this is my first post on this forum. My name is Tomek and I live in Warsaw Poland.

After being positively surprised by the Chord Mojo abilities, which I heard in the shop, I auditioned Chord Hugo 2 and got one as both headphone and main system device dac/preamp.

Hugo 2 is wonderful sounding device but I have connectivity issues, as Hugo 2 attached proprietary USB cables (both white in my model) are not working properly. There is annoying clipping on both USB cables in every couple of seconds attached (depending on the source to either my computer or FIIO X5 third gen). This issue does not occur when using FIIO USB cable (standard USB to micro USB) but that cable is not suitable to connect Hugo to FIIO but only to computer.

What micro USB cable and standard USB to micro USB would you recommend for Chord Hugo 2?

I auditioned Chord Hugo 2 with my old FIIO X5 first gen connected to coaxial out and it works perfectly. However the same FIIO coax cable that works for first gen X5 is not working for X5 third gen and Hugo 2 - so be aware.

Also FIIO X5 III gen android system is big mess in my unit, it is very slow, often collapses, and there are issues to connect it to computer in storage mode.

In the end until I find good micro usb – to connect FIIO X5 third gen to Hugo 2 the only way to connect FIIO X 5 III gen to H2 is by bluetooth, but it works nicely but only up to circa 2 meters of distance between the (then the signal starts drooping).

[edited] @x RELIC x knows far more than me regarding FIIO :)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #6,533 of 22,475
Hi All,

The X5 III is mess with its digital output at this time. The USB audio out works for some people and not for others and it re-samples everything to 48kHz. The coaxial output chokes on 24/192 files that have a bit rate over 5000 kbps (not an issue for the X5i or the X5ii). I own the X5 III and had the Hugo2 for the tour. At this time I would not fully recommend using the X5 III as a transport. As far as USB cables go the Hugo2 comes with a short micro to micro USB cable that works fine.

By the way, because the X5 III's coaxial output is shared with the line-out, the first generation X5 coaxial adapter will not work with the X5 III. You need to use the 4 pole coaxial adapter that came with the X5 III.

Regarding Bluetooth I was able to go to 30 feet without dropouts if the plastic Bluetooth window was not covered, but this was using the iPhone 7 as a source.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #6,534 of 22,475
Curious what the measured dB level is at white with the HE-500 and HE-400.

Hi @x RELIC x,

For sure the dBSPL levels should measure too high for our safe listenning tastes.:L3000:
At max output level (white), Hugo 2 should have a voltage slighty above 5.3Vrms@300 Ohms or 4.9Vrms@33 Ohms.
That converts theoritically for 0 dBFS into something like:
  • HE 500 -> 114 dBSPL (90 dBSPL @ 0.310 Vrms / 47 Ohms)
  • HE 400 -> 120 dBSPL (90 dBSPL @ 0.129 Vrms / 51 Ohms)
  • LCD 4 -> 110 dBSPL (90 dBSPL @ 0.482 Vrms / 206 Ohms)
  • ETHER C -> 122 dBSPL (90 dBSPL @ 0.117Vrms / 22_23 Ohms)
In average i am listenning at around 80 dBSPL for 0dBFS and may increase it up to 100 dBFS with classical music or stuff with low average levels (-30dB)

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #6,535 of 22,475
Hi @x RELIC x,

For sure the dBSPL levels should measure too high for our safe listenning tastes.:L3000:
At max output level (white), Hugo 2 should have a voltage slighty above 5.3Vrms@300 Ohms or 4.9Vrms@33 Ohms.
In average i am listenning at around 80 dBSPL for 0dBFS and may increase it up to 100 dBFS with classical music or stuff with low average levels (-30dB)
Being in white doesn't necessarily being on max volume. At the moment it turned white u can go on and boost another 6-10db until it reaches max. And keep in mind different materials played. High DR tracks tend to have a lot less loudness

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #6,536 of 22,475
Hi @x RELIC x,

Exactly what I was alluding to. It would be insanely loud for me at those levels. I only hope people listen at safe levels. For reference I never got above the red volume, or barely in to yellow, with the ETHER Flow or LCD-2 when I had the Hugo2 and it was plenty loud to me with even my best dynamic range tracks. To each their own I guess.

Jul 31, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #6,537 of 22,475
Well two first hour with Hugo 2 and immediate impressions from me with the UK Tour unit.

Mine is a very selective trial as I don't class myself as an audio addict and have been happy using Shure SE846's for a couple of years now with no desire to change. I can't get on with headphones but have tried a few including B&W P5 Wireless and Sen HD800. The SE846 are my highest quality IEM's after previously using SE535's.

Other DAC's/DAP's used or owned are: Dragonfly Red, Mojo, HA-2SE, ZX2, X5III. I also have one of those iFi IEMatch adapters to reduce hiss from the SE846's with some sources. Personally I'm perfectly happy with Spotify 320ogg files but do have a selection of Hi-def FLAC and DSD files plus currently a 3 month trial of Tidal HiFi/Master.

Getting the obvious out of the way, never heard music as good using my SE846's and also best over Bluetooth I have heard too (though B&W P5 Wireless were good).

I'm currently using a Fidue A83 remote cable with my Shure SE846's and with nothing playing I'm hearing intermittent background hiss on the RHS ear but don't from any other source. If I use the IEMatch it clears that noise up but was surprised the SE846's could pick anything up from the Hugo 2 unless the remote control adds some noise. No wifi/cellular close to the CH2. Going to try with the standard Shure cable tonight.

Now if best audio at any price is your main driver and you can't afford a Chord Dave or equivalent then the Hugo 2 is perfect. But, justifying an £1800 Hugo 2 over a £400 Mojo as someone who does balance sound quality vs price and using undemanding earphones such as the SE846's then for me its likely not going to be justifiable for the improvement, but have a week to convince myself. Will likely be much more justifiable if using Hugo 2 to drive demanding headphones or as DAC for a full home audio system.

One word to describe its audio quality.....beautiful. If money not a consideration, just buy it.

20170731_102205.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #6,538 of 22,475
How does it sound with thrash metal, bands like Warbringer, Havok, Megadeath, Death Angel?

Hmm, I am not sure if I will be of any help, since I can only provide a wild guess.
But if HUGO 2 is reasonably transparent, which by the way,I have quite strong reasons to believe that it actually is.

I would guess something like: Sh.. in /Sh.. out might describe results quite well?

But on the other hand, in order to stay really on the safe side as far SQ is concerned, you might actually need to first re-record "bands like Warbringer, Havok, Megadeath, Death Angel?" via an iPhone and then play it back via DAVE and then record that signal via a Samsung Smartphone before finally playing it back in all is glory, via HUGO 2.
You wouldn't want to risk losing any of the very important low level fine detail resolution would you?
Then again,there is always the risk of having really vital things getting lost in translation.....
Sorry, but I just could not resist responding.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #6,539 of 22,475
Boy your funny.... Or is it another word I am looking for?
Sectarianism seems to be one of your strong suits :wink:

Sorry but I couldn't resist, either...

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #6,540 of 22,475
Hmm, I am not sure if I will be of any help, since I can only provide a wild guess.
But if HUGO 2 is reasonably transparent, which by the way,I have quite strong reasons to believe that it actually is.

I would guess something like: Sh.. in /Sh.. out might describe results quite well?

But on the other hand, in order to stay really on the safe side as far SQ is concerned, you might actually need to first re-record "bands like Warbringer, Havok, Megadeath, Death Angel?" via an iPhone and then play it back via DAVE and then record that signal via a Samsung Smartphone before finally playing it back in all is glory, via HUGO 2.
You wouldn't want to risk losing any of the very important low level fine detail resolution would you?
Then again,there is always the risk of having really vital things getting lost in translation.....
Sorry, but I just could not resist responding.
Cheers Christer
3937191.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back