Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 12, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #5,641 of 22,498
That's feasible via Phono Line Outs. Whether volume is sufficient without Active (amplified) speakers is another thing (I haven't been reading Dave thread :) )

Um, so whats the point of bluetooth on the hugo 2 then? I haven't been reading the dave thread either.

I'm just trying to understand if I connect my phone via the bluetooth to the hugo 2 and my speakers are connected via the pre amp will play music from my music app through the speakers.

I dunno how else to explain this haha.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #5,643 of 22,498
Um, so whats the point of bluetooth on the hugo 2 then? I haven't been reading the dave thread either.

I'm just trying to understand if I connect my phone via the bluetooth to the hugo 2 and my speakers are connected via the pre amp will play music from my music app through the speakers.

I dunno how else to explain this haha.

There is a point. It just for more flexibility, and reduction of wires,.

Use cases: hook the H2 up to powered monitors and use the H2 like a preamp to control volume (now you have really good bluetooth speakers). hook them up to an external speaker amplifier and again use the H2 like a preamp (using RCA outs). Or if you're on an airplane and dont want to have USB/Opt going from your source to the H2, then the H2 to the headphones and get tangled up in wires. Or say i use the H2 connected to my TV via Optical and PA via RCA, Then another input has USB coming from my HTPC, but say i want to stream music from my phone now, all the other inputs are there, but wait i have BT, It's just an extra source available for what ever the end user may use it for.

Some people will use BT some will not, it's nice to have the option though.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #5,644 of 22,498
Initial impressions

smooth/ natural /musical
Great synergy as a preamp /dac with my VAC70/70 speaker amp.

I was able to connect it via audioquest wildblueyonder interconnects.The rca jacks presented no problems.

Wow it is so flexible.Movies/PC/reference speaker system all good.

no hiss from IEM campfire vegas.

drives lcd 4 easily

THANK YOU! Chord/Rob

pics and details to follow.

How do you find the LCD 4 runs from the Hugo 2? Any previous experience with the original Hugo to LCD 4 you can comment on?

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #5,645 of 22,498
News from the overheating front...

Upon Rob's recommendation I had my Hugo₂ run a full charging cycle: discharging down to blinking red, then charging during five hours, resulting in a blue battery indicator. Then I used it (from the batteries) till it got green. Right now it's playing music while charging since more than three hours. While it gets as hot as before, it hasn't shut itself off so far. So the problem seems to be solved (fingers crossed!).

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #5,646 of 22,498
News from the overheating front...

Upon Rob's recommendation I had my Hugo₂ run a full charging cycle: discharging down to blinking red, then charging during five hours, resulting in a blue battery indicator. Then I used it (from the batteries) till it got green. Right now it's playing music while charging since more than three hours. While it gets as hot as before, it hasn't shut itself off so far. So the problem seems to be solved (fingers crossed!).
images-10.jpeg

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #5,647 of 22,498
Hi the case is far more than a concept. We designed the Hugo2 case together with the nice guys at Van Nuys and they are making a nice big batch of them in Japan for us right now.
Hopefully, if they have to have end flaps, they don't cover any of the jacks?

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #5,649 of 22,498
Just ordered ifi IEMmatch.
Using my new Kaiser Encore too much RF noise with quiet music (classical) - JH 13Pro similar RF noise level (a bit less), Shure 846 worse
No such problem with full size cans
Hmm, noise. This may be why I never upgraded to H1 for my K10. This has me concerned. Anybody know where I can audition a H2 in Arizona?

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #5,650 of 22,498
turn off your phone as a player and presto, no RF

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #5,651 of 22,498
Dealer rang me to confirm hugo 2 shipping and should be there tomorrow. good luck for mike and congrats to peter. obviously there is a large shipment taking place with H2's in the last day or two. photos//impressions to come.

one small point i have a small thin granite slab placed on my desk which is where i plan to house my H2. is that a good base? apparently granite dissipates heat which is why it feels cold to the touch.

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #5,652 of 22,498
It was worth the wait.

I am stunned at the gorgeous sound quality. It drives the Beyerdynaic T1.2 beautifully.

Stunned.

I need to shut it off and let it charge. After all these months, even the four hour wait is rough!

John & Rob: Thank you; above all else, thank you. Excellence in and out.
Congrats, Peter! :v:

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #5,653 of 22,498
turn off your phone as a player and presto, no RF
You mean I'd need a separate dedicated source? Or just to turn off the radios in my phone, via airplane mode?

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #5,654 of 22,498
You mean I'd need a separate dedicated source? Or just to turn off the radios in my phone, via airplane mode?
yes airplane mode will eliminate rf noise if you use your phone as a player as i do. Course thats why folks get dedicated players so they can use their phones while they listen

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #5,655 of 22,498
Good to hear. What HPs will you be using?
In order of preference:
  1. AK8Tie mk2
  2. Beyer T51i
  3. Beyer DT770 Pro 250 ohms
  4. Sennheiser HD598SE
  5. Grado SE80
Probably mostly the first 3, because I rarely use open back HP.
Most of the other HPs discussed on this thread are complete mysteries to me.
[edit] after 18 months it has turned out that the top 4 bullet points, account for 99% of my listening hours. Which pair I use, depends on my mood - I cannot claim to have one headphone for all music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back