Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #5,341 of 22,475
846 while providing a balanced sound with some mid emphasis does not match hd800S, not by a long shot. 846 head to head with encore on hugo 1 was also an obvious choice. while 846 may have an advantage of extended bass covering some sub bass extension to the wall of bass offered by encore. The mids are where the magic happens, while 846 is not recessed, it does not have that mid clarity which provides so much definition to music and shows the compliment of both other ends of the spectrum.
Having said that while the encores are no slouch I don't think they can match the extension of the soundscape of 50-100mm transducers of total HP in the same price category. I use hugo and encore as a portable only and my wife now has my 846.
By the way 846 was my first reference iem or HP, had them for over 3 years before black friday came last year with the launch of encore and 15% off, yes that 20% off was the ticket.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #5,342 of 22,475
846 while providing a balanced sound with some mid emphasis does not match hd800S, not by a long shot. 846 head to head with encore on hugo 1 was also an obvious choice. while 846 may have an advantage of extended bass covering some sub bass extension to the wall of bass offered by encore. The mids are where the magic happens, while 846 is not recessed, it does not have that mid clarity which provides so much definition to music and shows the compliment of both other ends of the spectrum.
Having said that while the encores are no slouch I don't think they can match the extension of the soundscape of 50-100mm transducers of total HP in the same price category. I use hugo and encore as a portable only and my wife now has my 846.
By the way 846 was my first reference iem or HP, had them for over 3 years before black friday came last year with the launch of encore and 15% off, yes that 20% off was the ticket.

Mid range clarity is spot on for me with the SE846 but can't deny better may exist but likely only noticed compared in side by side testing. The HD800 did nothing for me but I do hear the HD800S is better and only tested the older version.

I have an option to buy some 2 month old Focal Elears for around £650. They seem to get good reviews. How would you compare those to other high-end headphones? Am also considering some B&W Outlet P9's

I'd assume both will sound great out of a Hugo 2 as not high impedance.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #5,343 of 22,475
High impedence cans sound great from Hugo 2 too. they get treated with the same class A amplification as lower impedence cans do. the P9's are of exquisite build quality but i found they clamp hard when worn. with hd800 i found the earpads rough on my ears as with hd650 as with grado's. my beyers have velour pads and weigh under 300 grams. dt880 600 ohm. i will upgrade to TOTL headphones when i can afford it to finish this "project":gs1000smile::gs1000smile:.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #5,344 of 22,475
well side by side testing on actual equipment that you use and have or are on loan, is the only way to really know which you prefer and why.

Jul 7, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #5,345 of 22,475
Agree fully.

as for doody the XOXO sign off is a bit much please. i'm slightly worried here.:thinking::thinking:lol.

imagine running a hugo2 line out into an earmaxpro tube amp connected to 600 ohm cans. its psychedelic.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #5,349 of 22,475
Ooooo....

Just had update that might get UK Tour unit soon to try out, maybe even in next couple of weeks :)

Its killing me holding off ordering one but high value for my disposable income so can't order blind and only used the Mojo before.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #5,350 of 22,475
Jul 7, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #5,351 of 22,475
Prefer encore to 846.

Sorry for not knowing, what make/brand is Encore?

Edit: I see later Noble Encore. Thank you all for suggestions. It is really helpful as not sure where to research and checked primarily the Innerfidelity Wall of fame but see that there are many more options... Any other sites other than Innerfidelity that can be recommended (I never find a proper Buying guide here on Head fi, at least not on my mobile, may need to drag out that PC...)?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #5,353 of 22,475
I have nice small speakers with nominal impedance of 6 ohms. Hugo 2 is rated for 8 ohms so I shouldn't try to power them directly?
What happens if I add a 2 ohm resistor in series - will the sound quality be degraded?

If you can afford a Hugo2, you can afford a power amplifier. You can use the Hugo2 to drive speakers directly, but why in the world would you? You would get better sound out of an entire system that costs half the price of a Hugo2, than you would doing that.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #5,354 of 22,475
if anyone is using hugo 2 with a mac can they confirm hugo 2 and not default shows as clock source in audio midi set up. thanks mk.

I did look at this and the Hugo2 shows as the clock source in the OSX Midi app, as expected. I neglected to do a screen capture for you and the tour unit has left my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back