Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #5,371 of 22,535
Guys have to ask....if I want to step up my current iems to significant upgrades over my FLC 8S, up to a max of us$1k-1300, even bought used to save$$$...any suggestions? Rock blues jazz...I like balance, detail, great bass slam but not overdone...just want to match this hugo2's SQ....not trying to derail this thread...just a little side step.
Thanks.
I have the Beyer AK8Tie which have great detail and balance. The detail in the bass portion of the spectrum is very good, but you won't have the same bass emphasis as a pair of Beats - for that you would need to add equalisation to your music source.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #5,372 of 22,535
I have the Beyer AK8Tie which have great detail and balance. The detail in the bass portion of the spectrum is very good, but you won't have the same bass emphasis as a pair of Beats - for that you would need to add equalisation to your music source.
Beats lol...my bass preference is such: "while I love great quality bass, it also has to know it's place"

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #5,373 of 22,535
Beats lol...my bass preference is such: "while I love great bass, it also has to know it's place"
Try Campfire Vega. I have them and tried them with Hugo 2..mind blowing. Plenty of not-overdone bass slam, large soundstage with excellent imaging and tons of natural detail. Those diamond drivers are so powerful, fast, and coherent it's incredible. The only IEMs I've heard come close to Vega for that sound signature are JH Lola. They're very slightly more detailed but you can hear the frequency band separation a little on those due to the funky driver setup whereas the Vega is more fluid through the frequency range. Vega/Hugo 2 is the closest I've heard to what my LCD-4s do in an IEM. The alo reference 8 iem cable is a cool thing to have with them as well. It's great for adding a little warmth and width if needed.

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #5,374 of 22,535
Ok so I've found a second hand TT for the same price as a Hugo 2,

I know the the TT is meant to have a warmer signature. I will be using it for gaming, movies and music edm, rock mostly.

What is the bass like on the hugo 2 compared to that of the hugo TT?

I can't audition the Hugo 2 till next week, but the hugo TT I have only this weekend to buy it or it's going to someone else who already has an offer it.

Can anyone give me some honest feed back on this? I can return the hugo 2 if I don't like it but cant return the TT. Now I've said this before in this thread and got jumped on, but I am hearing the hugo 2 isn't as warm as the TT with less bass and dynamics etc, and the hugo 2 sound is brighter? I'm also hearing this from a few people on reddit and now another friend of mine just returned his as it was to fatiguing for him he said after only 3 days he couldn't live with it.

So would I better of with the TT for gaming, music and movies only? Or hugo 2 will suffice?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #5,375 of 22,535
thanks for replies on audio midi set up. i receive hugo 2 next week so the set up should be automatic for hugo 2 clock settings.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #5,376 of 22,535
iaudio you may have felt jumped on because your talking about a very small group of absolute chord haters and head fi haters (one or two here "like" the anti posts on this thread) the rhetoric there makes it very challenging to take anything seriously and your use of fanboy is their language of insult - i thought it stupid to not post their name here until i read the vicious attacks.

hugo 2 and TT
your looking for video games, movies and music.

i think a lot of people are about the music and not gaming and movies as much so it may be really hard to get a good opinion here is there anyway you can demo the TT? it is gone be really difficult getting opinions of TT versus a new product like h2 . technology wise, it seems like h2 is more advanced but with the movies and video games it is a different thing altogether

if there was a way to even demo TT at a store, it might help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #5,377 of 22,535
Unmodded HD800 with stock cable sounding great with Hugo2 with classical repertoire.

Have been about to sell HD800 as prefer Ether C with Hugo but decided to wait until Hugo 2 arrives for a last listening session. It's with Rock more than classical I'm finding 800 a bit too open and distant.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #5,378 of 22,535
iaudio you may have felt jumped on because your talking about a very small group of absolute chord haters and head fi haters the rhetoric there makes it very challenging to take anything seriously and your use of fanboy is their language of insult - i thought it stupid to not post their name here until i read the vicious attacks.

hugo 2 and TT
your looking for video games, movies and music.

i think a lot of people are about the music and not gaming and movies as much so it may be really hard to get a good opinion here is there anyway you can demo the TT? it is gone be really difficult getting opinions of TT versus a new product like h2 . technology wise, it seems like h2 is more advanced but with the movies and video games it is a different thing altogether

if there was a way to even demo TT at a store, it might help you.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly there's no way to audition either untill next week, but the TT will be long gone by then.

Also just to clarify once and for all, I'm not just talking about one guys review who listened to it for 5 minutes said it was very bright on some terrible headphones without listening to the other filters the H2 has to offer etc, I'm hearing this from 2 (two people I know) who have both returned them as they felt it was to fatiguing for longer sessions on the music of their choice, rock and edm as to them it sounded bright.

On reddit I have heard it and been pm'd about it a few times from both owners and people that have auditioned it.

As far as me using the term fanboy goes please read the original message I responded with that comment of being a fanboy on, and tell me how I'm wrong. I personally found it funny, I could literally feel the love an emotion jumping out of my screen from the guy that responded with such passion about a chinese made chord remote haha.

Lastly the opinions here on this forum vary significantly from quite a few various forums and others I know. But as this thread specifically has over 350 pages of thread I thought I would reach out here.

Anyway it's all good, there's no hate, I'm seriously considering buying a hugo 2, but if it is on the brighter side I will have to pass and get the TT.

Just looking for some opinions from people that might have heard both that might help make my decission easier.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #5,379 of 22,535
Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly there's no way to audition either untill next week, but the TT will be long gone by then.

Also just to clarify once and for all, I'm not just talking about one guys review who listened to it for 5 minutes said it was very bright on some terrible headphones without listening to the other filters the H2 has to offer etc, I'm hearing this from 2 (two people I know) who have both returned them as they felt it was to fatiguing for longer sessions on the music of their choice, rock and edm as to them it sounded bright.

On reddit I have heard it and been pm'd about it a few times from both owners and people that have auditioned it.

As far as me using the term fanboy goes please read the original message I responded with that comment of being a fanboy on, and tell me how I'm wrong. I personally found it funny, I could literally feel the love an emotion jumping out of my screen from the guy that responded with such passion about a chinese made chord remote haha.

Lastly the opinions here on this forum vary significantly from quite a few various forums and others I know. But as this thread specifically has over 350 pages of thread I thought I would reach out here.

Anyway it's all good, there's no hate, I'm seriously considering buying a hugo 2, but if it is on the brighter side I will have to pass and get the TT.

Just looking for some opinions from people that might have heard both that might help make my decission easier.

Cheers,
What I would suggest is just buy the Hugo 2 and call it a day.
Is wonderful, powerful, minimal distortion and very important is future proof with DSD 512 native playback.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #5,382 of 22,535

Cheers,

My two cents:

Don't rush into it. Wait until you can compare the two side by side. Don't rely on other's to make a decision only you can and should make. I'm sure there'll be more opportunities to buy second hand TT's.

On the other hand, if you personally know the seller of the TT and buying from a trusted vender is important to you, you could buy the TT now then compare with the Hugo2 when you have the opportunity. You may end up losing some cash if you decide to swap but I wouldn't have thought it'd be too much.

Also, there may be other factors involved in those overly bright and fatigue inducing reviews. I suspect the headphones might have a part to play and they might have been too hasty at returning the Hugo2 without trying other cans.

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #5,383 of 22,535
Try Campfire Vega. I have them and tried them with Hugo 2..mind blowing. Plenty of not-overdone bass slam, large soundstage with excellent imaging and tons of natural detail. Those diamond drivers are so powerful, fast, and coherent it's incredible. The only IEMs I've heard come close to Vega for that sound signature are JH Lola. They're very slightly more detailed but you can hear the frequency band separation a little on those due to the funky driver setup whereas the Vega is more fluid through the frequency range. Vega/Hugo 2 is the closest I've heard to what my LCD-4s do in an IEM. The alo reference 8 iem cable is a cool thing to have with them as well. It's great for adding a little warmth and width if needed.
thank you kyle1010 and miketsle

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #5,384 of 22,535
If you look up phototristan on youtube he has a video there describing his side by side thoughts of the two. I wonder if headphone selection would make you prefer one over the other.

Yeh I saw his thoughts, he didn't like the H2 as much as the TT and felt the TT sounded better than the Dave and then I got really confused

Jul 8, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #5,385 of 22,535
My two cents:

Don't rush into it. Wait until you can compare the two side by side. Don't rely on other's to make a decision only you can and should make. I'm sure there'll be more opportunities to buy second hand TT's.

On the other hand, if you personally know the seller of the TT and buying from a trusted vender is important to you, you could buy the TT now then compare with the Hugo2 when you have the opportunity. You may end up losing some cash if you decide to swap but I wouldn't have thought it'd be too much.

Also, there may be other factors involved in those overly bright and fatigue inducing reviews. I suspect the headphones might have a part to play and they might have been too hasty at returning the Hugo2 without trying other cans.

I will be using AEON's, Flows and HD800S as my headphones with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back