Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #5,386 of 22,546
Whats the bass like?

Or to put it another way, I own the mojo and really like that sound signature, but that's going portable so need to replace it.
The bass is tight and punchy. I had the Mojo and Hugo.
Hugo 2 is much better in every aspect and i am sure everyone will confirm this.
Will be harder for you to travel with TT but Hugo 2 is small and yet only 450 gr.
I am not trying to make you buy one over the other, but from my experience, from what i read from others and the great improvements and my needs i will still recommend a black Hugo 2.:)
Note : I use it to watch movies too and is wonderful.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #5,387 of 22,546
Yeh I saw his thoughts, he didn't like the H2 as much as the TT and felt the TT sounded better than the Dave and then I got really confused

I saw that video a few hours ago. Never seen the reviewer before. As soon as he mentioned prefering TT to Dave I thought there's something not right here and he lost credibility immediately. To make such a statement requires explanation/qualification and lots of it but he didn't offer any, just his own subjective opinion.
One things for sure. If I ever get on MasterChef and he's a critic I'll be worried....
....or maybe not....lol

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #5,389 of 22,546
I second the AK T8ie in-ear monitors (Mike's post)

I find these to be terrific with Mojo and use them almost daily. In lengthy flights I find no fatigue nor discomfort with them and Mojo, and my expectation with Hugo 2 is the same. I've fallen asleep with them in my ears.

I absolutely love the sound of Beyerdynamic headphones; particularly the T1.2 (I love the T5, to0) with Mojo. (family has different models)

I began my quest to get IEMs that come close to the T1.

At one point, the TK 8 i.e. supplanted the T1's but of recent months, I have gone back to them; especially with classical music.

My wife has now fallen in love with them so pennies must be saved to get a second.

I am grateful that H2 has room for us both.

Jul 8, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #5,390 of 22,546
have you ever compared dt880 600 ohm premium to T1 OR T5? also how will hugo 2 handle a 600 ohm headphone do you think?:smile_phones:i take it mojo has no problems with T1?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #5,391 of 22,546
I absolutely love the sound of Beyerdynamic headphones; particularly the T1.2 (I love the T5, to0) with Mojo. (family has different models)

i’ve been eyeing the T1.2 for a couple of weeks. actually asked this thread if anyone’s used it with H2 yet. Peter, would love to hear your impressions of T1.2 with H2.

and if one were to choose T1.2 vs HD800s with H2... that’s my current crisis!

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #5,392 of 22,546
If I'm only going to use my Shure SE846 until they die or are lost and never use headphones, would it be worth 4.5x more for the Hugo 2 or stick with a Mojo or even a Dragonfly Red ? Opinions

I should get to try a Hugo 2 soon all being well

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #5,393 of 22,546
If I'm only going to use my Shure SE846 until they die or are lost and never use headphones, would it be worth 4.5x more for the Hugo 2 or stick with a Mojo or even a Dragonfly Red ? Opinions

I should get to try a Hugo 2 soon all being well
Why ask if you going to soon know, and know more than their opinion.

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #5,394 of 22,546
Why ask if you going to soon know, and know more than their opinion.

Always interested in other peoples opinions. Maybe I'm hoping people have a sensible argument for not spending £1799 :) If I'm not using demanding headphones or hooking up to a speaker system.

Jul 8, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #5,395 of 22,546
I would definitely go for H2 and use them with 846's which will give you a far more immersing experience than a mojo or DFRed. once you have the source taken care of you can then address the issue of headphones. imho source comes first but some say headphones first. this is my game plan as quality gear is expensive.

contrary to most i found hd800/s pads uncomfortable and quite rough same as hd650. i'm using a beyer dt880 600 ohm premium a scaled down version of T1gen2 and they are exceptionally comfortable and share many design features of T1. it has been reported their sound signature is similar in some ways. when i listened to the dt880's through a hugo1 at my dealer's shop the sound was stellar even though my experience is still quite limited. with H2 being more powerful than H1 all should be good. later i will invest in top end cans to compliment H2 as the hugo 2 really needs them to shine through.:ok_hand::ok_hand:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #5,396 of 22,546
I would definitely go for H2 and use them with 846's which will give you a far more immersing experience than a mojo or DFRed. once you have the source taken care of you can then address the issue of headphones. imho source comes first but some say headphones first. this is my game plan as quality gear is expensive.

contrary to most i found hd800/s pads uncomfortable and quite rough same as hd650. i'm using a beyer dt880 600 ohm premium a scaled down version of T1gen2 and they are exceptionally comfortable and share many design features of T1. it has been reported their sound signature is similar in some ways. when i listened to the dt880's through a hugo1 at my dealer's shop the sound was stellar even though my experience is still quite limited. with H2 being more powerful than H1 all should be good. later i will invest in top end cans to compliment H2 as the hugo 2 really needs them to shine through.:ok_hand::ok_hand:
I started with 'good' HPs, and purchased better equipment, cables and such afterword. I agree with those who say that speakers/HPs are the most critical, or you can't hear how good the upstream stuff sounds.
And yes, the bass is controled and harmonicly detailed; more than the Mojo.

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #5,397 of 22,546
i think it also depends on your forecasted future budget and the inventory of gear you currently possess at any one time. it's then a question of building around that and stopping when you are fully satisfied. after my purchase of high end cans i'll stop there. i won't be investing in usb tweaks as i'm convinced H2 doesn't need it.

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #5,400 of 22,546
Yeh I saw his thoughts, he didn't like the H2 as much as the TT and felt the TT sounded better than the Dave and then I got really confused

I would take these reviews and comments with a pinch of salt. I compared TT and Dave side by side at home for a number of days with studio quality (ATC SCM40A) full range speakers. Dave had a much warmer sound signature, it was not subtle.

I sold my TT to buy Hugo 2. I am unable to comment accurately really on which has the warmer sound signature as I have not compared side by side through the same speakers. From memory I do feel Hugo 2 is closer to Dave than TT was, it has a more three dimensional sound, and instrument timbres sound more real. My guess is that Hugo 2 sound signature is warmer than TT - but that is just a guess. Do I regret selling my TT? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back