Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #1,636 of 22,535
1) There is only one way to describe Triode's set up. It is undeniably world class no other description is fair. I would love to audition such a set up with the view of investing seriously looking forward to the long term time scale. May Triode reap the rewards of his efforts.

2) For Hooster. it just so happens that the right amount of funds have arrived at a point in my life when a) im totally absorbed in this hobby and b) a purchase was calling and hugo 2 just happens to be on the horizon. So a decision has been made to go for hugo 2 in the hope of attaining the very best sound quality within my means based on the performance of hugo 1. its now or never.

3) on a lighter note this morning i understood the mojo filter function on hugo 2 but because the hugo filter just read hugo and not hugo 2 i thought the hugo 2 filter was trying to imitate hugo 1 lol. relic had to rescue me from my state of confusion.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,637 of 22,535

3) on a lighter note this morning i understood the mojo filter function on hugo 2 but because the hugo filter just read hugo and not hugo 2 i thought the hugo 2 filter was trying to imitate hugo 1 lol. relic had to rescue me from my state of confusion.

This filter confusion is funny in a philosophical sense. Bhuddhists sometimes say things like there is in fact no this and that, since everything is ever changing, in a way intangible and indescribable. Chord with their filters have shown that there is in fact no Hugo 2.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #1,638 of 22,535
  1) There is only one way to describe Triode's set up. It is undeniably world class no other description is fair. I would love to audition such a set up with the view of investing seriously looking forward to the long term time scale. May Triode reap the rewards of his efforts.

Flattery will of course get you a long way and you have therefore learned an essential life lesson for one who is so young. I assume you are in the UK because you discuss kit in £ and maybe you are near me in which case you are welcome to come and listen. I am Leics / Notts area.

My kit is (or will be soon when Blu2 arrives)

Auralic Aries streamer
Blu2 CD player / upscaler
Music First silver wound passive (TVC) preamp
Pair Icon Audio MB845mk2M 110w tube/valve mono amps
Pair Audio Innovations Second Audio 2A3 15w tube/valve mono amps
Speakers Living Voice OBX RW3 and Spendor S100 (I have had the latter for 25yrs and are an absolute delight)

The Dave recently displaced a Bricasti M1 SE DAC.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,639 of 22,535
for Hooster.

1) but there is a complete hugo 2 under which the 4 variables exist----mojo1----mojo2-----(hugo 2-1) ----(hugo 2-2)  reside. the mojo 1//2 variables can only be reproduced by a completed hugo 2. 

2) not in a million years will any individual mojo sound exactly like a hugo 2 representation of mojo. whether the standalone mojo sound is better or worse is completely irrelevant here.

3) then we have the two hugo 2 filters. this is in essence Rob's presentation to us of his vision of the hugo 2 sound bare knuckled and raw. the culmination of 30 years of a dedicated individual and his labour of love.

4) does that mean hugo 2 is 50% mojo and 50% hugo 2? can never be like that. so is it a 50% imitation of mojo and the rest the real hugo 2? no again. why imitate or mimick a device worth 20% of the hugo 2 and then sell that for 5 times as much.

5) is it the seamless transition between the 4 unique sounds that only a hugo 2 can reproduce. ????? im getting warmer.

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #1,641 of 22,535
  for Hooster.

1) but there is a complete hugo 2 under which the 4 variables exist----mojo1----mojo2-----(hugo 2-1) ----(hugo 2-2)  reside. the mojo 1//2 variables can only be reproduced by a completed hugo 2. 

2) not in a million years will any individual mojo sound exactly like a hugo 2 representation of mojo. whether the standalone mojo sound is better or worse is completely irrelevant here.

3) then we have the two hugo 2 filters. this is in essence Rob's presentation to us of his vision of the hugo 2 sound bare knuckled and raw. the culmination of 30 years of a dedicated individual and his labour of love.

4) does that mean hugo 2 is 50% mojo and 50% hugo 2? can never be like that. so is it a 50% imitation of mojo and the rest the real hugo 2? no again. why imitate or mimick a device worth 20% of the hugo 2 and then sell that for 5 times as much.

5) is it the seamless transition between the 4 unique sounds that only a hugo 2 reproduce. ????? im getting warmer.

The Hugo 2 is 200% Mojo approx.

Take a top level analysis:
  1. Mojo has to be run at half speed, to avoid excessive battery drain plus overheating
  2. Hugo 2 in very simple terms, takes the same FPGA coding, but runs the device at full speed.
  3. Hugo 2 also has some additional code optimisation, plus filters etc

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,643 of 22,535
quoted from headfi main review on hugo 2,

"There are 4 preset FILTER modes, when button shows white color, it’s “HUGO” mode, it has overall same sound signature of original HUGO, which have most detailed sounding. Green light is “HUGO HF+” mode, same with HUGO mode sound signature but with high frequency roll off, it can give you smoother treble sounding. Orange and red mode actually excited us a lot. We prefer MOJO’s sound signature over HUGO even HUGO has better overall performance (Soundstage, detail, clarity etc.) MOJO is warmer, smoother, and more relaxing sounding. This time, HUGO 2 offering 2 filter modes based on MOJO’s sound signature."

does that mean hugo 2 has 5 sounds then. 2 of mojo and 2 of hugo 1 and one hugo 2? or is it 2 of mojo and the hugo that he describes in the review is actually the hugo 2 filter but to him it sounds like hugo 1. ive been confused about this all day.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,644 of 22,535

does that mean hugo 2 has 5 sounds then. 2 of mojo and 2 of hugo 1 and one hugo 2? or is it 2 of mojo and the hugo that he describes in the review is actually the hugo 2 filter but to him it sounds like hugo 1. ive been confused about this all day.

Filters (Digital):

1. Hugo (Ultimate Reference) (White)

2. Hugo HF+ (High Frequency roll off) (Green)

3. Mojo (‘Smooth’) (Orange)

4. Mojo HF+ (High Frequency roll off) (Red)

It has 4 sounds. Hugo, Hugo high frequency rolled off, Mojo and Mojo high frequency rolled off. There is no Hugo 2 filter.

Hugo sounds like Hugo.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #1,645 of 22,535
  quoted from headfi main review on hugo 2,

"There are 4 preset FILTER modes, when button shows white color, it’s “HUGO” mode, it has overall same sound signature of original HUGO, which have most detailed sounding. Green light is “HUGO HF+” mode, same with HUGO mode sound signature but with high frequency roll off, it can give you smoother treble sounding. Orange and red mode actually excited us a lot. We prefer MOJO’s sound signature over HUGO even HUGO has better overall performance (Soundstage, detail, clarity etc.) MOJO is warmer, smoother, and more relaxing sounding. This time, HUGO 2 offering 2 filter modes based on MOJO’s sound signature."

I have seen, used, and heard the Hugo2.There are only 4 sounds available and they correspond to the four filters. 

There ISN'T a fifth sound option.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,646 of 22,535
Anyone been to a CanJam with Hugo 2 and know if Chord will be offering show discounts on it? Going to try and buy one at CanJam SoCal.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #1,647 of 22,535
does that mean hugo 2 is basically a supercharged hugo 1 that has the ability to reproduce the mojo sound through 2 filters in addition to an improved hugo sound as compared to hugo 1 which it outputs again through two differing filters. the hugo 1 had one sound fullstop. if hugo sounds like hugo where is hugo 2 sounds like hugo 2? 

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,648 of 22,535
  does that mean hugo 2 is basically a supercharged hugo 1 that has the ability to reproduce the mojo sound through 2 filters in addition to an improved hugo sound as compared to hugo 1 which it outputs again through two differing filters. the hugo 1 had one sound fullstop.

Yes, it is essentially an improved Hugo. This is why they called it the Hugo 2.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #1,650 of 22,535
so hugo 2 must have a new and distinct sound signature to hugo 1 based on having the double the taps. when considering the hugo filter in hugo 2 hugo is no longer hugo then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back