Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #1,651 of 22,467
  so hugo 2 must have a new and distinct sound signature to hugo 1 based on having the double the taps. when considering the hugo filter in hugo 2 hugo is no longer hugo then

Yes, it has an improved Hugo in two flavors of Hugo and two flavors of Mojo. How distinct the difference is will most likely depend the implementation of the data feed, the quality of the of the data server, cables and the headphones you are using.

How different the sound "signature" is is probably a matter of taste. Naim products are for example known to have a certain signature, emphasizing pace and rythm. All their products apparently share this "signature". There are however large differences in price and quality. I have not heard the Hugo or Hugo 2 so I can't comment on the actual signature. I would think it is quite similar. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,652 of 22,467
so hugo 2 must have a new and distinct sound signature to hugo 1 based on having the double the taps. when considering the hugo filter in hugo 2 hugo is no longer hugo then

Can we move on from the description of the filters? With all due respect I think you are waaaaaay over analyzing the name of the filter.

The Hugo2 will be an improvement technically over the Hugo1. The 4 filters look like they will be from the brightest/clearest to the smoothest/warmest. That's it. Options for the user. This isn't ground breaking forensic science based on marketing and labels.

Please, no one can tell what they will sound like until there are reports and reviews. The production code product hasn't been reviewed or officially released yet so let's wait to see what the real world experiences are. It would help to keep the thread from being a pain to navigate through multiple posts of conjecture.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,653 of 22,467
  no just hugo. but it must be better than hugo 1 due to the increased capability of the interpolation filter. the presentation by the very laws of physics suggests increased microdetail, increased movement towards the sound of the original recording. the taps. approx 25k taps in hugo 1 vs approx 50k taps in hugo 2. if im wrong id love to know why to add to my knowledge .

How do you know that you wont prefer the sound of Hugo 1 instead of Hugo 2?

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,654 of 22,467
hi Relic,

after you're advice earlier today everything was fine until this:

There are 4 preset FILTER modes, when button shows white color, it’s “HUGO” mode, it has overall same sound signature of original HUGO,

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,655 of 22,467
I'm wondering as we aren't getting any younger if John Franks and Rob watts will put something in place when they retire like teaching all they know for someone to take over the business,it would be sad for all that knowledge to be lost forever, I'm happy to do an NVQ level 1 in electronics to carry on the Chord name

Haha i like it.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,656 of 22,467
hi Relic,

There are 4 preset FILTER modes, when button shows white color, it’s “HUGO” mode, it has overall same sound signature of original HUGO,

Yeah, the original Hugo is brighter than the Mojo so the brightest clearest filter is the Hugo(2) filter. Since the product is a Hugo product (not a 2Qute, not a DAVE, not a Mojo) the name for the filter is Hugo. Respectfully, please let it go. The Hugo2 'Hugo filter' is the Hugo2 sound and nothing else.

Edit: The bold'd comment in your post would mean that the Hugo2 largely has a similar overall signature to the Hugo1, according to who wrote that.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,657 of 22,467
One downside to skipping a preamp with Hugo2 is missing opportunity to have sub out. My next system will probably revolve this type of system so just have to use it as dac. Would like to hear a comparison to the codex

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #1,658 of 22,467
  can i confirm hugo 2 will only have a charging cable and not the charger. i have an anker power port 5 which supplies 2A over each of 5 ports. i also have the powerline micro usb charging cable. (i bought this in january as i thought i was getting a mojo at some point)

I have the power port 6 and it keeps giving me electric shocks and there is also tiny blue sparks on connection to devices, i need to send it back.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #1,660 of 22,467
  hi Relic,

It really sounds like a lot of fun, to be able to play with the filters. Who knows, you might end up liking the Mojo sound best. I am sure you will enjoy your Hugo very much.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #1,661 of 22,467
Rob Watts talk at Singapore CanJam was quite telling wrt Dave-vs-Hugo2. Sounds like the WTA filter length and pulse array length are the only substantive differences...And even they are leaps beyond the current Hugo. RW alluded that he got the noise shaper well beyond 260dB...Perhaps close to DAVE's 350dB? And sounds like Hugo2 has two years of improvements in power supply noise, DSD playback and output amplification. Amazing, just amazing technology in such a small package.
I can't wait for my silver one to show up.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,662 of 22,467
@DoctaCosmos, I feed my active sub from hugo RCA out using RCA splitters. same RCA out feeds to a power amp.

So do you use a microphone to fine tune the subs crossover to match the roll off of your speakers? Do you worry about comb filtering without a speaker crossover?

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,663 of 22,467
  I agree 100% which is why I buy CD's that i know are mastered well and sound good and burn them to a HD,this way I know exactly what I am listening to and in addition I have the CD for listening on my loudspeaker system!

I also listened one guy system with Focal 1038BE with downloaded Hi-Res files. It was disaster.
When we tried my files are grabbed from CD, the sound became completely different.
I always prefer to listen my CDs. And I prefer to use my CD player Cary 303 as transport with Mojo and 2Qute. I tried different cables but CD player always sounds better compare to PC+Foobar or Mac+Amarra.
The same I can say about modern audiophile vinyl. 90% of it sounds horrible. Sometimes it to digital like MP3 (for example, 45RPM edition of Cannonball Adderley - "Somethin' Else") or too compressed (for example, the latest edition PF "Wish You Were Here" ) or both.
If some original LPs from 50x-60x too expensive for me, I prefer to buy 70x reissue. They mostly sound way better compared modern reissues!

Mar 14, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #1,664 of 22,467
@DoctaCosmos, I use monitor audio rs12w sub which has continuously variable cross over control which ranges from 120hz to 40hz. my speakers are kef r300 bookshelves which easily go beyond 40hz so I had to use supplied foam bungs to reduce the bass extension and now cross over of my sub just matches around 40hz . I used my ears to fine tune the crossover of my sub. it definitely requires more effort than any mic but luckily my ears are sensitive enough to even gauge the effect of a feather touch on the crossover knob . :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back