Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #14,311 of 22,516
Today I have changed the way I laid my double shielded cinch cable from the Hugo 2 to the mono blocks.
Before they where just entangled with the other cables behind my TV now laid it so it never touches any of the others. After that I got the impression of better depth and even better bass.
I expected a warmer and cleaner sound, but the thing that seemed to stick out was better dynamics and depth. Or maybe I've just audio-fooled myself :dt880smile:
Maybe @Rob Watts has fun talking about it, if and why this has that effect.

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #14,312 of 22,516
Today I have changed the way I laid my double shielded cinch cable from the Hugo 2 to the mono blocks.
Before they where just entangled with the other cables behind my TV now laid it so it never touches any of the others. After that I got the impression of better depth and even better bass.
I expected a warmer and cleaner sound, but the thing that seemed to stick out was better dynamics and depth. Or maybe I've just audio-fooled myself :dt880smile:
It is always best to keep cables from touching each other but also bear in mind that some cables don’t like to be moved and can take a few hours to settle down again.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #14,313 of 22,516
Is anyone finding the bass on the Hugo 2 getting fuller and more weighty as it’s breaking in? I’m sensing a change in the sounds signature at about 50 hours.

Sep 20, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #14,314 of 22,516
Is anyone finding the bass on the Hugo 2 getting fuller and more weighty as it’s breaking in? I’m sensing a change in the sounds signature at about 50 hours.

Rob Watts is always adamant that his DACs do not burn in at all. More likely is that your ear/ brain is adjusting.

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #14,317 of 22,516
To be honest, I don't recall any change due to breakin, or brain burnin when I got it. I found an immediate sense of ease and depth compared to the first Hugo. After Hugo2, the original as I recall it, gave me more of a feeling of being crowded in the music. Hugo2 gave me a greater feeling of depth and space in whatever I was listening to. That's why I couldn't identify with people who didn't hear the improvement. And I've completely lost patience with the double-blind school of testers whose goal is to publish that they've fooled me or a bunch of test subjects. It's demeaning and I won't acknowledge it. I possess enough self-awareness to know what I hear.
I think, though, that Triode User's right in that you might be getting accustomed to the H2. Or it may actually be burn-in. I just didn't hear it; I was impressed from day one. I know this probably was useless, but I can't sleep, and there you were.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #14,318 of 22,516

In the past when listening to digital cables I had inconsistency on AB listening tests, and it turned out to be how the cables were placed. Keep digital and mains cables away from analogue cables...

Rob Watts is always adamant that his DACs do not burn in at all. More likely is that your ear/ brain is adjusting.

Adamant is perhaps a strong word - lack of my own evidence is more appropriate! Brain break-in is for sure something I have experienced a lot, and that's normally a feeling of the soundstage opening out, with deeper depth. Weight in the bottom end is more characteristic of hardware break-in, and this happens with Hugo 2 on the first 10 minutes of warm-up. In the past my DACs had a huge audible break-in period, and also measured differently. As time has gone by, these sensitivities and inconsistencies have been eliminated by design. Now every product measures the same irrespective of device and age - and I have not experienced any change in SQ that I could put down to hardware break-in. But I would not say that for sure hardware break in has been entirely eliminated - just I haven't seen any evidence of it.

Actually the truly remarkable thing is the consistency; I have done approaching 1/4 million km so far this year, and arrive at a hotel, set-up my gear, and within 10 minutes my headphone SQ is identical - irrespective of environment, power or geography...

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #14,319 of 22,516
To be honest, I don't recall any change due to breakin, or brain burnin when I got it. I found an immediate sense of ease and depth compared to the first Hugo. After Hugo2, the original as I recall it, gave me more of a feeling of being crowded in the music. Hugo2 gave me a greater feeling of depth and space in whatever I was listening to. That's why I couldn't identify with people who didn't hear the improvement. And I've completely lost patience with the double-blind school of testers whose goal is to publish that they've fooled me or a bunch of test subjects. It's demeaning and I won't acknowledge it. I possess enough self-awareness to know what I hear.
I think, though, that Triode User's right in that you might be getting accustomed to the H2. Or it may actually be burn-in. I just didn't hear it; I was impressed from day one. I know this probably was useless, but I can't sleep, and there you were.
I had the Mojo before I upgraded to the Hugo 2 and I could hear the audible difference between those two immediately. It may be that I’m getting used to the sound. For now I’ll go with “brain burn-in” theory after reading @Rob Watts design explanation. Whatever the case the Hugo 2 is sounding awesome.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #14,320 of 22,516
Wait till you get around the 65 hour mark!
I believe it. I hadn’t listened to my Hugo 2 in a couple of days. Then I turn it on and everything just sounded better with my Utopia’s. The sound was more open, the bass was more taunt, there was just more depth to the music. I was amazed at what I was hearing.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #14,321 of 22,516
Yeah, after reading @Rob Watts post I’m pretty sure it’s my brain getting use to sound of the Hugo 2.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #14,322 of 22,516
I think I may have found a solution to a problem. However I may have misread, and this might not be of any use. I am going to post it anyway.

I think I read that some folk are having trouble running their Hugo 2 in a case. That being with the charger plugged in. I think it was that the Hugo 2 got too hot, if it had to do a bit of charging.

Recall, the Hugo 2 recognises what charger is plugged in. Either a 1A or 2A. (Or 2.1A in the case of the Chord one). ... If you recall the manual, you get different coloured charging light, when using different current capacity chargers. Turqoise for a 1A charger, and white for a 2A charger.

The Hugo 2 in desktop mode, can still get quite warm in cycles, with the 2.1A Chord charger. However if I charge the Hugo 2 with either charger. Then switch to a 1A charger and play music, the Hugo 2 barely gets warm. It stays very cool with just a hint of warmth. I think with 1A charger, the Hugo 2 would work when left plugged in, while in a Hugo 2 case.

Like I say, I may have misread. It might be that people wanted to charge from empty battery and play, in a case. That might have been where the overheating and shutting down was. .... This idea of swapping to a 1A charger does make the Hugo 2 run a lot cooler while playing though.

(Please note another result tested with Hugo 2 not in a case. - My Hugo 2 will not successfully charge from empty and play at the same time on this 1A charger. It will shut down. I think that is because of power draw from 1A. .... However it will charge and play from empty with the Chord 2.1A charger successfully, and not shut down.)

Recap:
Charge Hugo 2. Swap to 1A charger. Leave 1A charger plugged in, and play music.

The results are the Hugo 2 draws only 0.7 amps while playing music. It's running at about 3.6 watts. It runs very cool.

Photo to prove it. Hugo 2 was playing as this photo was taken. The power for Hugo 2 passed through the USB meter. (Mojo just for eye-candy.)
Hugo 2 power 1A charger..jpg

Just before I started playing music the Hugo 2 was off. There was about 0.2A still trickling into the battery, even though the charging light was off on the Hugo 2. It had been in this trickle state for a good while.

My Hugo 2 has not entered 'desktop mode yet for this experiment. (Again this is from a fully charged Hugo 2, then switching to 1A charger.) Meaning the (1A) charger will have to be in for 24-hours before desktop mode starts.

You'll have to get confirmation from @Rob Watts about how much power is being drawn to play music. I am sure he told us somewhere in this thread. (Although that music playing power, may/must be going through the battery.) Also how much power may be trickling into the battery.

LAST NOTES:
1. If I switch off the Hugo 2, the charger will draw a full 1A to charge itself back up. Then as it should, it will enter trickle mode: 0.5A -> 0.3A -> 0.2A. I have measured it, with this USB multi-meter. I think this is the same sequence to using a 2A charger. Hugo 2 always charges back up, after playing. Whether using 1A or 2A charger seems negligent, in that it seems to charge from same place after you power off.
2. Playing 44.1KHz music or 192KHz music, made no real difference to power draw by Hugo 2.

Attachments

• DSC05642.JPG
    DSC05642.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back