Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #14,341 of 22,475
Listening to Gregory Porter Liquid Spirit: Very quick impressions.

1) I feel as if i'm listening to a turntable via headphones. It is pure analogue. Whereas hugo 2 on its own pushed in that direction with the mscaler it becomes totally effortless. The mscaler feels the tempo of the music. With slow vocal jazz on this album the timing enters a realm new to me it is pure class. Again hugo 2 on its own pushes hard in that direction but with the mscaler there is no pushing just a slow late night drink and total relaxation. In fact with hugo2 it is excellent but i found myself aware of the electronics hifi chain. With 1M taps there is no chain just the music pure and simple. It takes nothing and gives nothing just the delivery of the artist in the manner the artist would have wanted. If hugo 2 is business class then with 1M taps the top floor is all yours. Rob mentioned the master tape quality and i'm just starting to comprehend this. Still very early. Gregory Porter sounds full and wholesome in a manner i've not yet experienced. This is just my first 1 hour album so i will try some fast tempo EDM to test the mscalers "tempo" response. The mscaler responds beautifully regardless of genre i can feel that ahead.

The instruments, tonality and timbre are all naturally in their rightful place and it's as if you wonder why you didn't experience this before. Now the mscaler reconstructs the original analogue signal as it was in the ADC to greater than 16 bit accuracy. It is just an extended vinyl LP that's how i feel. Hugo 2 just does not have the processing power to match this. With hugo 2 and 1M taps it is on a level higher than Dave and that's not just Ray's POV but i've also heard Dave and those qualities cannot be confirmed so early on but i think i know what is meant.. Natural and analogue to the extent my room disappears around me. Vocal representation is incredibly real there is no hype here just class. Analogue and pure quality are what come to mind. The plucking of double bass on "i fall in love too easily" is ultra realistic to a level which is new to me and that's just one example of many. After one album i can foresee many years of pure musical enjoyment ahead of me. I've really discovered something beautiful this time and hit the nail right on the head. If i can add the Sony MDR-Z1R headphone that will be my endgame to compliment my Oppo PM1. Owning the third best dac in the world is my claim to fame. More impressions after more some extended listening.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #14,342 of 22,475
For Rob or anyone who can help:

I took a number of photos with my camera flash on of the mscaler/hugo2 both in the light and dark// is there any chance the flash could have penetrated the glass viewing window on hugo 2 and potentially do any harm and also to the mscaler? Everything sounds normal and nice but i just want to check seeing as it new hifi equipment?

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #14,343 of 22,475

I took a number of photos with my camera flash on of the mscaler/hugo2 both in the light and dark// is there any chance the flash could have penetrated the glass viewing window on hugo 2 and potentially do any harm and also to the mscaler? Everything sounds normal and nice but i just want to check seeing as it new hifi equipment?

No. Relax.

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #14,344 of 22,475
Is the hugo 2 inner circuitry through the glass viewing hole fully shielded against powerful bright flashes of light? I'm worried that the delicate electronic circuitry might have been affected?

I'm just playing Joe Sample piano jazz extraordinaire listening to his album Carmel. OH my word this is another level in high fidelity it is fantastic. It is a live concert in my room whereas before it was just a recording of a live concert. Oh my word. I can see that even though dave's transparency is missing this more than makes up for it. Stunning. Oh don't forget to make up the 2 or 3db introduced by adding 1M taps to hugo2 just remembered. The piano, the drums, oh wow listen to how they all communicate like Rob said they would. These are my feelings 100% but they do coincide with some of what's been reported. Like Ray saying "beautiful air" "things i have not heard before" this one track how can i put it well it's the real deal --there's a quality to what i'm hearing but i can't find the adjectives to place what i'm hearing and convey the sound. If i had to sum up as Rob said that master tape quality. I'm just discovering how 1M taps converts to that master tape sound----i'm hearing some crazy kick drum it's quite breathtaking.....oh wow i just heard a cymbal high up...now a cymbal low down....with hugo 2 it's a beautiful cymbal but neither high or low.....with 1M Taps i can feel a low cymbal coming out of left...it's like i've got an electric drumkit in my headphone...the accuracy of the percussion is incredible and all the while the piano is right there, right there.

"A rainy day in Monterey".......track 4 Carmel Joe Sample.....beautiful synths....enough impressions for tonight. Some live feedback as promised. Just the 2nd album through mscaler.

This is another level altogether a whole new musical world for me. No exaggeration at all. No hype at all. Just excellent results beyond what words can describe. That's the truth. I want to share this with everyone.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #14,345 of 22,475
Is the hugo 2 inner circuitry fully shielded against powerful bright flashes of light? I'm worried that the delicate electronic circuitry might have been affected?

I'm just playing Joe Sample piano jazz extraordinaire listening to his album Carmel. OH my word this is another level in high fidelity it is fantastic. It is a live concert in my room whereas before it was just a recording of a live concert. Oh my word. I can see that even though dave's transparency is missing this more than makes up for it. Stunning.

There is no way that the light from a flash would do any harm. Leave it in the noon sun for an hour and then maybe worry, but impossible with a flash.

I’m super glad you’re enjoying the Mscaler. :)

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #14,347 of 22,475
Thanks Relic you're always there to provide the right answers.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #14,349 of 22,475

is this a serious question?

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #14,350 of 22,475
Totally serious. I was using the flash on my phone in the dark very close to the glass viewing portal on hugo2 and was worried that exposing the internal circuitry to flash at close distance in the dark might just affect something undesirably. Thankfully it seems i was worried about nothing.

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #14,351 of 22,475
Hi Rob, thankyou for your help as always. I have a couple of points as i've just set up H2/Mscaler,

With hugo2 the sample rate indicator would switch off with no signal. With the mscaler attached the sample rate light does not switch off with no signal ie it's constantly on. Is that normal?

The sample rate colour should be purple 705khz and i'm getting a purple tinge on the glass but the light inside hugo 2 appears white. Is that ok?

many thanks mk.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #14,352 of 22,475

No because you aren't taking a picture of mummies in a museum!

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #14,354 of 22,475
This is another level altogether a whole new musical world for me. No exaggeration at all. No hype at all. Just excellent results beyond what words can describe. That's the truth. I want to share this with everyone.

Awesome, congratulations. Thank you so much for sharing this. You have made a quantum leap and many others are sure to follow. Enjoy.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #14,355 of 22,475
Thanks Hooster much appreciated it wasn't easy raising the funds needed so i hope many hugo 2 owners can add mscalers soon and experience something new which is pure musicality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back