Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 9, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #14,221 of 22,475
740mW into 32 ohms is the max output to clipping at 1% distortion. I said i listen on light blue which is no where near the max output of Hugo2. Still my original query remains unanswered??:triportsad:

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #14,222 of 22,475
740mW into 32 ohms is the max output to clipping at 1% distortion. I said i listen on light blue which is no where near the max output of Hugo2. Still my original query remains unanswered??:triportsad:
The Hugo₂ is incapable of clipping at light blue – so no worries! (It doesn't take Rob to answer your question.) That doesn't exclude clipping on some recordings, though.

Sep 9, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #14,223 of 22,475
My PM1 headphone is 32 ohms ,102 dB in 1 mW. I like listening at moderately loud very light blue normally. Am i right in saying that as long as i don't reach the white volume setting there is no chance of clipping and it's as simple at that? I wonder sometimes if light clipping may occur and i can't audibly detect it as i don't know exactly what i'm listening for hence affecting SQ negatively. H2 specs indicate extremely low distortion however.

This is an example of clipping. I wouldn't worry; I believe you would be able to tell.

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #14,224 of 22,475

If it is not clipping, then it is not clipping. If it is nowhere near the max output, then it is not clipping. Does that answer your question? If you listen for an hour, then the maximum safe level is around 94dB. The headphones you have need less than 1mW to achieve that level. Worrying about clipping when the Hugo can output 740mW at less than 1% distortion is .....

If you want to worry about something, then worry about your hearing. I hope you have not pushed things to far already. I would recommend a hearing test.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #14,226 of 22,475
My hearing is good thanking you for your kind concern...:beerchug:

Quoting Rob (i hope that's ok) "For Hugo 2, so long as volume is not white, it will not distort or clip - ever."

I just found my answer and i'm very pleased it ties in with my initial gut feeling. Thanks to all here mk.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #14,227 of 22,475
Hi Mr. Rob i read that you say somewhere in this tread that Hugo 2 Dac can be powered only by charger alone... Does this include amplifier also? Can amp and dac both be powered by charger only?
P.S Qutest with amplifier would be nice too cause not everyone can afford Hugo TT 2 or Dave...

Sure it will work - the charger circuit is capable of 0.7 A, this is more than enough to power the amp as well.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #14,229 of 22,475
Can someone explain to me why I should get the Chord 2go?

1. Because it's there.
2. Because Christmas is coming.
3. Because you must.
4. Because you will.
5. Because if you don't, you'll want to.

Interesting holiday season ahead?

2Go?
Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks outtakes "More Blood; More Tracks"?
The Beatles White Album 50th Anniversary ?

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #14,230 of 22,475
1. Because it's there.
3. Because you must.
4. Because you will.

2Go?
Will it improve sound quality no so don't buy it

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #14,232 of 22,475
1. Because it's there.
3. Because you must.
4. Because you will.

2Go?

Thanks +1, I don't see the point either.

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #14,234 of 22,475
1. Because it's there.
3. Because you must.
4. Because you will.

2Go?
Hard to argue with that sentiment.
However I think that Chord have learnt painful lessons from the Poly project, so I don't expect any 'launch' of the 2Go until the Poly Android app is fully released at the earliest.
Many posters have mentioned that they hope that Chord fully debug the Poly apps, before starting to ship the 2Go.
Even at my most optimistic, that may make October shipping of the 2 Go to be slightly too soon. If so, I will not be disappointed if Chord delay fully launching the 2Go until CES 2019.
:slight_smile:

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #14,235 of 22,475
To be honest I never saw the point of Poly either, but I guess that is just me. I will not be disappointed if Chord gives the 2Go a total miss. They have other more important things to work on, such as the new DAVE with integrated M scaler. Now that is something worth an effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back