Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 14, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #13,201 of 22,467
I can hear the bow rosin man.lol

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #13,202 of 22,467
though not of interest to all, a great example of enjoying the H2's X feed feature:

The Beatles "Here Comes the Sun."

Listen to the first 20 seconds with no cross feed, listening to where the first instruments enter after the acoustic guitar.

Then listen to the first 20 seconds with a change of X filter.

The more time I spend with H2, the more I appreciate the choices. I am concentrating on some hi res detailed recordings and the filters.

Jun 15, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #13,203 of 22,467
I’m getting more interested in the difference different sources make. Using usb out of the laptop sounds much more substantial than using iPhone + cck cable.

Does anyone know about the nuc servers? If I bought such a low cost music server and used it to feed hugo 2, via usb (I can’t find a model that has optical), would the sq ‘improve’....

I suppose these little pcs are small, and that’s handy, is it right to think they’d be a purer source then just my laptop.....

I would install roon Rock os on it, maybe the os by minimising the servers operations would make it less noisy ......

https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Getting_Started

I suppose I’d like one of those nice antipodes servers, but they cost ten times as much.

Maybe anyone with knowledge can comment. I suspect it’s just a nice tidy roon server, and I shouldn’t expect improved sq.

Would you need Linux drivers for the usb control of hugo 2? Or does roon take care of that?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #13,205 of 22,467
video after some room treatment. hugo 2 playing into benchmark ahb2 in low gain mode, speakers kf r300, monitor audio rsw12 sub and furutech cabling. the video is mainly for hugo 2's dynamics and clarity.

Thanks. Very clear. I love Lucy, too. Don't care about the point of listening this way, as others have gone on about adnaucium. Just makes me want to hear those speakers in person, one day. Thanks for taking the time to expose your personal system.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #13,206 of 22,467
Does anyone know about the nuc servers? If I bought such a low cost music server and used it to feed hugo 2, via usb (I can’t find a model that has optical), would the sq ‘improve’....

I built a NUC server and have ROCK running on it. While others do connect their DACs to its USB output, I just use it as a headless server. But I like it very much: it consumes very little power (9w, I think), so I can leave it on 24/7. It also boots very quickly and auto-updates. An excellent solution.

I feed my H2 from a RoonReady Sonore MicroRendu via a short Curious Cables USB link. I even went a little mad and added a Simple Designs LPS-1. To my ears, it beats any other USB source I’ve tried (CCK, various Macs, NUC)—great detail, strong mid-bass and solid separation. I still find it odd that there’s so much quality variability in USB sources, but definitely noticeable when a feeding such a high-resolving DAC/headphones like the H2+Utopia combo.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #13,207 of 22,467
I built a NUC server and have ROCK running on it. While others do connect their DACs to its USB output, I just use it as a headless server. But I like it very much: it consumes very little power (9w, I think), so I can leave it on 24/7. It also boots very quickly and auto-updates. An excellent solution.

I feed my H2 from a RoonReady Sonore MicroRendu via a short Curious Cables USB link. I even went a little mad and added a Simple Designs LPS-1. To my ears, it beats any other USB source I’ve tried (CCK, various Macs, NUC)—great detail, strong mid-bass and solid separation. I still find it odd that there’s so much quality variability in USB sources, but definitely noticeable when a feeding such a high-resolving DAC/headphones like the H2+Utopia combo.
Thank you, do you think it would be better to wait for 2go to appear before heading down the same road as yourself?
It’s a decent cost, £500 for nuc, £400 for microrendu, £300 for linear psu, £60 for nice usb lead.... my 2go estimate price is £999.

I could continue to use my pc as the roon core.... hard to know, but we know 2go has Ethernet feed? Which may remove need for psu.

But a stand-alone server would be good, as I’m thinking I don’t really need portability, so will just setup a Hifi space.

Jun 16, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #13,208 of 22,467
Good point—yes, I think you’d be better off waiting for the 2Go. I have Poly-Mojo and while the sound is not as good as the H2, the convenience as an around-the-house Roon endpoint is great. Makes me realize I should do some comparative listening of the Mojo fed by the Poly vs the microRendu/Sonore LPS...

If you’re interested in building a ROCK NUC, let me know and I can tell you how I built mine. I ended up building an i5 NUC, which falls nicely between the i3 and i7 spec that I found on the Roon Labs forums.

Cheers,
muski

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #13,211 of 22,467
I would install roon Rock os on it, maybe the os by minimising the servers operations would make it less noisy.
Another, less expensive idea for a streaming source for your H2 while you wait for the 2Go would be a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Digi+ board. Maybe $80 total, and you get USB, SPDIF and optical out. I use one as a source for a pair of Devialet Phantoms (optical), and it's very nice, esp. by SPDIF or optical. Connect by ethernet or get a wifi dongle. There's a Roon Linux package for it that makes it an Roon endpoint (it also auto updates).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #13,212 of 22,467
Thank you, do you think it would be better to wait for 2go to appear before heading down the same road as yourself?
It’s a decent cost, £500 for nuc, £400 for microrendu, £300 for linear psu, £60 for nice usb lead.... my 2go estimate price is £999.

I could continue to use my pc as the roon core.... hard to know, but we know 2go has Ethernet feed? Which may remove need for psu.

But a stand-alone server would be good, as I’m thinking I don’t really need portability, so will just setup a Hifi space.

Yes, wait for 2go.

If I was you, that is what I would do, I would wait for 2go and once you have it, if you need any other devices then you can build around it.

To be honest, if 2go has the same storage capability as Poly, “unlimited SD card storage”, then you might not need a nuc, you may get your entire music library on the two sd card slots ?

Or, if your router is like mine, it may have a usb2 or 3 slot so that you can plug in an external hard drive.

Anyway, thats what I would do, wait until 2go gets released and then take it from there.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #13,213 of 22,467
My misunderstanding...I have no idea how many hrs. I could get out of the WM1A stand alone...the 500 hrs was just how long I've used the DAP w/ the H2...they've always been together. Digitally, close to 8 hrs. I'm OCD about keeping all my gear fully charged, can't really give you an accurate time/number/hr. etc.

I’ve only used H2 w Aurdirvana or thru ONKYO iPhone HF Player. I’ve turned off up sampling on both.

Does using DAP with built in DAC allow you to turn off the internal DAC on the WM1A to let H2 do the digital to audio conversion work?

I’m looking forward to SD card w 2Go and don’t use streaming.

If there's a good post that explains the use of DAPS and other internal DACs and how to use with H2, I would appreciate it.

I have the KEF LS50W which I love. I don't use it with H2 because it has its own internal DAC. I use H2 only with headphones or IEM as a norm. TIA.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #13,214 of 22,467
Does using DAP with built in DAC allow you to turn off the internal DAC on the WM1A to let H2 do the digital to audio conversion work?
I have the KEF LS50W which I love. I don't use it with H2 because it has its own internal DAC. I use H2 only with headphones or IEM as a norm. TIA.

I used the ZX1 & ZX2 as a transport into the Hugo, even used to Bluetooth the Walkman's into the Hugo when out & about, both were hugely enjoyable... Sony's DAC is built into the amp so don't think there is a way to bypass it.

Have you ever thought of Bluetooth'ing the Hugo-2 into your KEF's, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also since the ZX1, all Sony's (inc. phones) come with LDAC-Bluetooth technology, the transfer rates between equipment that has it enabled/fitted is meant to be three-times faster(?) (LDAC is due to be released on upcoming Android & Apple phones apparently).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #13,215 of 22,467
I used the ZX1 & ZX2 as a transport into the Hugo, even used to Bluetooth the Walkman's into the Hugo when out & about, both were hugely enjoyable... Sony's DAC is built into the amp so don't think there is a way to bypass it.

Have you ever thought of Bluetooth'ing the Hugo-2 into your KEF's, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also since the ZX1, all Sony's (inc. phones) come with LDAC-Bluetooth technology, the transfer rates between equipment that has it enabled/fitted is meant to be three-times faster(?) (LDAC is due to be released on upcoming Android & Apple phones apparently).

hello ok-guy, long time! Good to see you back.

The Hugo 2 only has Bluetooth input not output so couldn't transfer to Kefs.

Peter, I was reluctant to try my Hugo 1/2 with my Tag amp as that converted A to D for room correction, and then used its inbuilt DAC thereafter. So I thought like you, no point trying a HUGO DAC 's analogue out. Mistake! Adding Hugo from the output of my Sonos or DAP made a big difference. Obviously the 2nd convertion didn't affect the gain in sound. Just a thought if you were thinking Hugo can't have a benefit upstream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back