Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 18, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #13,216 of 22,500
I’ve only used H2 w Aurdirvana or thru ONKYO iPhone HF Player. I’ve turned off up sampling on both.

Does using DAP with built in DAC allow you to turn off the internal DAC on the WM1A to let H2 do the digital to audio conversion work?

I’m looking forward to SD card w 2Go and don’t use streaming.

If there's a good post that explains the use of DAPS and other internal DACs and how to use with H2, I would appreciate it.

I have the KEF LS50W which I love. I don't use it with H2 because it has its own internal DAC. I use H2 only with headphones or IEM as a norm. TIA.
If the Sonys have an optical or co-as output, that would bypass the internal DAC in the DAP, and employ the H2's DAC. I was using my old X5Gen1 as a source for my original Hugo. And I believe that @JaZZ, for example uses an X5 the same way. Can't say for the Sonys, however.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #13,217 of 22,500
hello ok-guy, long time! Good to see you back...
The Hugo 2 only has Bluetooth input not output so couldn't transfer to Kefs.

Andrew, I felt the need for some additional chaos in my life and I was missing you lot, I've been full of happy-feet & England this morning, such is my 'Mojo' I might have a lil tickle and put a tenner on for us to win the World-Cup... thanks for the Hugo-2 info.

>walks out of thread singing 'Eng-ger-land, Eng-ger-land, Eng-ger-land!<

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #13,220 of 22,500
Got s new hugo 2 and it has been shuting down a couple of times now in the begining. First it shutdown pretty soon after power on. Started charging with mobile charger 5v 1.5A for about 15 mins then i could start it. Then after listening and charging at the same time it shutdown after some 30min. Must i use the supplied wall power to be able to listen and charge at the same time without it shutting down?

Faulty unit?

Mojo had no problems listening charging after depleated battery.

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #13,221 of 22,500
If the Sonys have an optical or co-as output, that would bypass the internal DAC in the DAP, and employ the H2's DAC. I was using my old X5Gen1 as a source for my original Hugo. And I believe that @JaZZ, for example uses an X5 the same way. Can't say for the Sonys, however.

What? .... Some Sony DAPs work with Chord DACs.

The sound comes via the Sony proprietary port, in bits. If it didn't, then Sony DAPs would not work with Chord DACs. (They work on the same principle as USB-ports on phones or other DAPs.)

For example. The Sony NW ZX300 also has a manual feature to turn off all sound processing. Meaning while listening to the DAP, or using via its data port, it is bit-perfect. ... Also I think most Sony DAPs like the A15/A17 range, and upwards I suppose. They all disable any sound processing when working data via their data port.

Apparently it can be tricky to find a one piece cable to work with Sony DAPs though.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #13,222 of 22,500
Got s new hugo 2 and it has been shuting down a couple of times now in the begining. First it shutdown pretty soon after power on. Started charging with mobile charger 5v 1.5A for about 15 mins then i could start it. Then after listening and charging at the same time it shutdown after some 30min. Must i use the supplied wall power to be able to listen and charge at the same time without it shutting down?

Faulty unit?

Mojo had no problems listening charging after depleated battery.

If the power light is not white, then you are not charging at 2 amps which is what you need to play and charge.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #13,223 of 22,500
If the power light is not white, then you are not charging at 2 amps which is what you need to play and charge.
Are you sure? The manual dont say anything about that.
Yeah its charging blue, 1 amp. Been on 50 mins now without shuting down while charging 1amp. Before i powered on i had about 40min charging 1 amp from a depleated battery.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #13,224 of 22,500
Are you sure? The manual dont say anything about that.
Yeah its charging blue, 1 amp. Been on 50 mins now without shuting down while charging 1amp. Before i powered on i had about 40min charging 1 amp.

The manual clearly states 8 hours to get a full charge from empty using 1 amp. Play time is also rated at 8 hours so there is little to no power left when using 1 amp to charge since charge and play ratio is 1-1.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #13,225 of 22,500
The manual clearly states 8 hours to get a full charge from empty using 1 amp. Play time is also rated at 8 hours so there is little to no power left when using 1 amp to charge since charge and play ratio is 1-1.
But with 1-1 the battery should neither charge or depleat while charge and play with 1amp right?

Actually the manual says 4hrs charge time 2amp, 8hrs charge time with 1amp, avrage playtime on both 8hrs.

And manual just say play and charge at same time.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #13,226 of 22,500
But with 1-1 the battery should neither charge or depleat while charge and play with 1amp right?

In desktop mode yes. In regular use, highly variable as charging rates will fluctuate depending on how much charge the battery has. Just use 2 amp charger or the one provided and not worry at all.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #13,227 of 22,500
In desktop mode yes. In regular use, highly variable as charging rates will fluctuate depending on how much charge the battery has. Just use 2 amp charger or the one provided and not worry at all.

If your battery is dead you should charge it to at least 40-50% before trying to play and charge. Otherwise you're stressing the battery quite a bit and heating things up.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #13,228 of 22,500
If your battery is dead you should charge it to at least 40-50% before trying to play and charge. Otherwise you're stressing the battery quite a bit and heating things up.
This would aply to mojo to right. It got a little warm when charging and playing. Used it often that way. And will probebly with hugo 2.

Maybe its prefereble to use 1amp charger to play and charge then,maybe less stress and heat? If it works.

Been on 1h 30min now with play and charge, without shuting down, charged it 40 min, 1amp, from a depleated battery.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #13,229 of 22,500

I don't think thermal shutdown is possible in 1 amp mode.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #13,230 of 22,500
I don't think thermal shutdown is possible in 1 amp mode.

I don't know if it is, but I also didn't say that's what's happening.

I made the same mistake when I first got mine, didn't want to wait for it to charge. Finally gave up and let it charge using the included charger (with the unit off) for a couple hours before I used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back